Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

How do I adjust headphones output on POD HD500X?

BaylorPRSer

Hi there,

I am recording into Cubase 5.  With my headhphones plugged into the POD.  I have one wet signal and one dry signal.  

It is my understanding that, for recording, it is best to keep the Master volume knob on max on the POD.  

The result is a very loud dry signal and wet signal in each headphone respectively.

I would like to achieve volume control in the headhphones, and ONLY the wet signal in both headphones while recording both the wet and dry signals into Cubase.

The recording is working fine.  I'm after control of what goes into my ears while tracking.  Is there a way to do this in the POD?

2 hours ago, BaylorPRSer said:

It is my understanding that, for recording, it is best to keep the Master volume knob on max on the POD.  

I believe that on the HD500X the Record Send level over USB is controlled independently of the Master volume knob setting. You can set the Master volume knob to a level that’s good for your ears while independently setting a Record Send level that’s good for your DAW. See Section 9 (USB Audio) of the Advanced Guide. The details are different on Mac vs. Windows.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/27/2021 at 7:06 PM, silverhead said:

I believe that on the HD500X the Record Send level over USB is controlled independently of the Master volume knob setting. You can set the Master volume knob to a level that’s good for your ears while independently setting a Record Send level that’s good for your DAW. See Section 9 (USB Audio) of the Advanced Guide. The details are different on Mac vs. Windows.

OK, so I was wrong.  I'm not sure what my computer was showing me that caused me to think that the master volume was messing with the input level getting fed to my laptop.  I've got the master volume set, so it's fine for my ears. 

However, I still have the issue of the not being able to control my monitoring setup.  The volume is fine, but I have the dry signal as well as the wet signal in my ears.

I want only the wet signal in my ears while both the dry signal and the wet signal go into the laptop.  Recording is going fine on that front.  It's monitoring that's the issue.  

How do I achieve that?

On 5/27/2021 at 11:24 AM, BaylorPRSer said:

I'm after control of what goes into my ears while tracking.  Is there a way to do this in the POD?

2 hours ago, BaylorPRSer said:

I want only the wet signal in my ears while both the dry signal and the wet signal go into the laptop.  Recording is going fine on that front.  It's monitoring that's the issue.  

How do I achieve that?

If you use direct hardware monitoring of the POD (which is latency free) everything that passes in the patch will be monitored, there is no possibility to monitor live only 1 of 2 passing signals (wet and dry in your case).

If, on the other hand, you use DAW monitoring (which is with some latency) you can select which recording track should be monitored live and which not via the dedicated commands of your DAW.

As for the master volume physical knob, when POD is also used as an audio interface it does not affect the level of the signal passing through the USB at all. In this case it is nothing more than the volume of the monitoring.

The levels of the signals arriving at the DAW via USB depend only on the settings in the patch.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

All about POD HD500/X

help and useful tips

• Upvote 1

52 minutes ago, hurghanico said:

If you use direct hardware monitoring of the POD (which is latency free) everything that passes in the patch will be monitored, there is no possibility to monitor live only 1 of 2 passing signals (wet and dry in your case).

If, on the other hand, you use DAW monitoring (which is with some latency) you can select which recording track should be monitored live and which not via the dedicated commands of your DAW.

As for the master volume physical knob, when POD is also used as an audio interface it does not affect the level of the signal passing through the USB at all. In this case it is nothing more than the volume of the monitoring.

The levels of the signals arriving at the DAW via USB depend only on the settings in the patch.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

All about POD HD500/X

help and useful tips

Thanks very much.  Very helpful.

The Helix could facilitate this, right?  

If I were set on doing this, my options would be

DAW monitoring, but the latency would disrupt the mimicry of the response/feel, albeit only slightly, which would make tracking slightly harder.

Get studio monitors.  It will send the wet to one and the dry to the other, so I'd only be able to use 1 studio monitor.  No drawbacks in this instance that I'm aware of other than the cost.

Get a Helix.  No drawbacks in this instance other than the cost.

Am I understanding my options correctly?

1 hour ago, BaylorPRSer said:

Thanks very much.  Very helpful.

The Helix could facilitate this, right?  

If I were set on doing this, my options would be

DAW monitoring, but the latency would disrupt the mimicry of the response/feel, albeit only slightly, which would make tracking slightly harder.

Get studio monitors.  It will send the wet to one and the dry to the other, so I'd only be able to use 1 studio monitor.  No drawbacks in this instance that I'm aware of other than the cost.

Get a Helix.  No drawbacks in this instance other than the cost.

Am I understanding my options correctly?

Helix series surely offers more routing options than the POD, at least the top of the line devices from LT up should do (don't know about the smaller HX units).

Using just 1 monitor for the processed signal if the wet and dry signals are stereo separated is a good idea.

I could be wrong but I guess you want to record the dry track to process it later with a plugin, and that the POD wet signal is just for recording the dry signal track with the right feel/dynamics.

For such a case there would actually be a third routing option if you had an audio interface provided with s/pdif and the right cable to connect it to the s/pdif of the POD.

In the POD there is the option to send the dry signal (instead of the processed one) via the s/pdif connection.

Obviously in this case the audio interface selected in the DAW would not be the POD but instead the other one (if any)...

..and you wouldn't need to use wet/dry double signal patches anymore.

All about POD HD500/X

help and useful tips

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, hurghanico said:

Helix series surely offers more routing options than the POD, at least the top of the line devices from LT up should do (don't know about the smaller HX units).

Using just 1 monitor for the processed signal if the wet and dry signals are stereo separated is a good idea.

I could be wrong but I guess you want to record the dry track to process it later with a plugin, and that the POD wet signal is just for recording the dry signal track with the right feel/dynamics.

For such a case there would actually be a third routing option if you had an audio interface provided with s/pdif and the right cable to connect it to the s/pdif of the POD.

In the POD there is the option to send the dry signal (instead of the processed one) via the s/pdif connection.

Obviously in this case the audio interface selected in the DAW would not be the POD but instead the other one (if any)...

..and you wouldn't need to use wet/dry double signal patches anymore.

All about POD HD500/X

help and useful tips

That's a good idea, but in this case I couldn't send BOTH while just monitoring with the wet, correct?

3 hours ago, BaylorPRSer said:

That's a good idea, but in this case I couldn't send BOTH while just monitoring with the wet, correct?

Correct.

All about POD HD500/X

help and useful tips