Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Variax Mags

I own pod hd 500 and a JTV for over one year and until now did not understand the real significance of the inputs 1 and 2 inputs. I run the 2 inputs in Variax and works well for both models and for magnetic. So, what is the use of the Variax mags input ?

Variax Mags is the sound from the Magnetic Pickups on the JTV passed digitally over the VDI connection to the HD500.

So if you want to use the Magnetic sounds of the JTV while using VDI you can can without running the 1/4 instrument cable as well.  This how many JTV users play most of the time - using the magnetics by default and only switching into models when they want a specific effect or alternative tuning.

The magnetic inputs is also the only one that really works with an E-Bow - it is just not the same using the Models as you don't get the interaction with the pickups.

But you can do more interesting things - for example you can have Variax Mags on input 1 going into an Amp for a Crunchy electric sound and Variax with an Acoustic Model on input 2 with a little compression and reverb for an acoustic sound, and then have the Expression pedal control a cross fade between the two sounds. This can be varied to have Strat into Blackface + Les Paul into Plexi  combinations or whatever you want to try.

You can also have both Mags and Model with a similar sound but with a Virtual Capo on the Models for a simple polyphonic harmony.

yes, but I run the 2 inputs in Variax and magnetic work the same way, I do not need to set yhe input in Variax mags to mags work . When I want the magnetic work is only to push the guitar model selector . Is that what you do not understand

yes, but I run the 2 inputs in Variax and magnetic work the same way, I do not need to set yhe input in Variax mags to mags work . .....

Using the VDI cable with VARIAX Input selected (whether as Input 1 and/or Input2) the VDI connection sends the selected mode/model that the Variax guitar is set at. In other words, it will send the model that is selected, or the mag pickups if model selection is off in your Variax.

However, if your HD500 Input is set to Variax Mags it will receive the mag pickups signal from the Variax even if the Variax itself is set to a model. This way you can blend a Variax Model selection with the Variax Mags in your HD500 processing by setting Ihnput1=Variax and Input2=Variax Mags.