Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Power Supply for HX and Stomp

rwinking

Are the power supplies for the HX Effects and the HX Stomp interchangable?

IF not are there cheaper alternatives for spares than using the L6 products which seem crazy expensive for what they are.

7 hours ago, rwinking said:

Are the power supplies for the HX Effects and the HX Stomp interchangable?

IF not are there cheaper alternatives for spares than using the L6 products which seem crazy expensive for what they are.

It is quite easy to find a PSU with the same specification, but isn't the connection an odd size?

Depending on what else pedalwise you are powering You could use a 5 amp GigRig Generator to power both HX units and still have 2.5 - 3 amps of juice spare (The HX units only use about 1A max to be powered; they do the barrel convertors too (it's the green tipped one)

I'm sure Voodoo Lab/Strymon/Truetone have bricks that can power both with the right cable configuration it's just I have the GigRig one

I don't really use a pedal board. What I was wondering about is if the HX Stomp and HX FX power supplies were interchangeable....like can I use one for the other in a pinch or could there be damage? Or is there something on the market that would work for both like a little power supply?

• 7 months later...

Greetings all,

I just got an HX Stomp and have both an isolated power supply (Truetone 1Spot Pro CS12) and a Ripcord 9V USB cable paired with a 2A phone charger. I'd like the freedom to use either of these as opposed to the massive Line 6 OEM brick. I bought the green barreled Trutone L6 Convertor in order to fit the HX Stomp to either of the aforementioned power supplies. Neither worked. I then checked them with other units and had no problem. I then saw a mark on the L6 Conververtor packaging that said center positive. I don't know if this was a spec of the item, or just a random printing on the package. But otherwise, would this simply be indicative of a faulty L6 Convertor cable?

P.s. I did email Truetone as well

17 hours ago, MikeSharpSongs said:

Greetings all,

I just got an HX Stomp and have both an isolated power supply (Truetone 1Spot Pro CS12) and a Ripcord 9V USB cable paired with a 2A phone charger. I'd like the freedom to use either of these as opposed to the massive Line 6 OEM brick. I bought the green barreled Trutone L6 Convertor in order to fit the HX Stomp to either of the aforementioned power supplies. Neither worked. I then checked them with other units and had no problem. I then saw a mark on the L6 Conververtor packaging that said center positive. I don't know if this was a spec of the item, or just a random printing on the package. But otherwise, would this simply be indicative of a faulty L6 Convertor cable?

P.s. I did email Truetone as well

The L6 converter reverses the polarity as well as  changing the barrel size. You need an additional polarity reversing cable if you want to use it.

I use the Truetone CS6 power supply to run my HX Effects and a Swollen Pickle. You’ll want to make sure you are not  drawing more current than the CS6 can supply. The HXFX and on low current draw pedal is all I need to power for this pedal board.

You’ll use a standard power cable plugged into the reverse polarity adapter (red) plugged into the L6 barrel size adapter (green). 

All cables and adapters are included when purchased new.

Only issue I’ve encountered was when I accidentally left my HXFX on overnight. I think the power supply got too hot and turned itself off. Beyond that, should be fine for rehearsals and  gigs. Just turn your stuff off.