Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Updated Helix Native - no more Rosetta!!

krimple

Ok, I just installed 3.1.1 of Helix Native, and was able to move back to native M1 application mode for Logic Pro. I did have to futz a little bit with the plugin manager to disable, then re-enable it, and it wasn't obvious on the Logic Pro plugin manager to me to tick the 'Use' checkbox to turn it back on, but it is nice and fast and responsive as a plugin UI, and works great so far in my limited testing.

Nice job, Line 6. Will post if I run into issues but man, the M1 Mac is a monster and unhandicapping Logic Pro will really speed it back up too.

Ken

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, krimple said:

Oh, and ignore the rescan "couldn't be opened" message. I was stuck on that for a bit.  Just tick "Use".

Hi Ken,

Over on TGP, a couple of people commented on this. It seems that the way to go is, as you have noted - just tick “Use”.

One user raised a ticket with support about the Plug-in validation, and failing to load - got this reply:

UPDATE: I was just informed by L6/YGG support that 3.11 does not add compatibility for Apple Silicon hardware (M1). So it is kind of "more compatible" with Big Sur, but M1 hardware is still kind of excluded. Now I am confused.”

Although, other people are running HX Native on M1 boxes without issue, as you have found.

Have fun.

I do still get the incompatibility warning, but I continue to ignore it. The UI was my biggest issue - terribly laggy, and that has been fixed. Now I don't use 15 tracks with Helix Native at the same time so maybe something that really pushes it causes it to slow down, who knows...  

I'm hoping it's just the verification of the plugin that is broken on M1. And if it's running behind the scenes as a Rosetta app, it's pretty impressive.

Thanks for the info,

Ken

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

It's been a few weeks and the OS X 11.4 update made Helix Native unusable once it got applied. Just in case someone is looking at this thinking "yay, it's fixed." I'm sure it is a mighty slog to update something as complex as digital signal processing from an intel chipset to the M1. Here's hoping that there is a beta soon.

21 hours ago, krimple said:

It's been a few weeks and the OS X 11.4 update made Helix Native unusable once it got applied. Just in case someone is looking at this thinking "yay, it's fixed." I'm sure it is a mighty slog to update something as complex as digital signal processing from an intel chipset to the M1. Here's hoping that there is a beta soon.

Hi Ken,

This young guy has an interesting view on audio software on the Apple new computers and how it all fits in the real world of making a living/working situation. Check his comments about audio plugins and Rosetta 2 and the real timescale of software development on the new platform. Very astute observations.

Hope this helps/makes sense.

Good post.  Of course, Apple can break things and create incompatible platforms that move technology forward, but make all other companies that write software on that ecosystem scramble like hell. When Microsoft tried not many users really moved to the Surface X. But Apple can change the entire game in one fell swoop.

I hope Line 6 really puts R&D into supporting M1 Macs going forward (and soon) because they WILL become the dominant platform in 2-3 years.

Ken

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/26/2021 at 8:20 PM, krimple said:

Just a quick update - see the note referenced below if you are having crashes of the Helix Native plugin when being displayed on a (M1?) Mac - you might have a corrupted Line 6 folder as I did in the "Application Support" folder. I just moved my folder out of the way and restarted my DAW and it worked again like magic. I reported the error and uploaded a zip of my Line 6 folder to hopefully let them reproduce the problem and do a fix if that is warranted, but right now the plugin is working great on my M1 mac.

• Upvote 1