Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HX Effects- Wah engaging by itself on most recent firmware

Mincer

I am running the most recent firmware on my HX Effects. For an expression pedal, I am using a Thru-Tone EXT-Ult, built into an Ernie Ball volume pedal with a kick switch on the side. The wah is turned on by using the kick switch on the side, and then controlled with the treadle itself. So the switch is just an on/off switch connected to the HXFX exp pedal 2 jack with a small patch cable. 

Recently, on about 20 different occasions (during performances and practice at home), I was nowhere near my pedalboard and the wah just switched on. To turn it off, I have to engage the switch and then disengage it. Trying the patch at home, I was looking at the computer editor and watched the wah engage by itself. 

I've swapped out patch cables. And before the most recent firmware, this has always worked for over a year and 100s of performances. What could be causing the wah to switch on? I didn't change anything in the patch in the new firmware- it is the same one I always use. Obviously the HXFX thinks the on/off for the wah was engaged, but it most certainly wasn't as the pedalboard was across the stage at the time. I spent the last few shows glued to my board, ready to turn off the wah (good thing, too, as it happened a few times). 

When I am not using the wah, I use the exp pedal for delay time and feedback, otherwise I'd just program the wah to come on when I reach 5% or something. 

I might just ditch the wah in my presets if it isn't something I can fix. I can't say for certain it is the firmware, but that is when all of this started happening. Anything else I can try? Priest? Holy water?

1 hour ago, Mincer said:

I might just ditch the wah in my presets if it isn't something I can fix. I can't say for certain it is the firmware, but that is when all of this started happening. Anything else I can try? Priest? Holy water?

Factory Reset.

HX Effects

1. Holding FS3 + MODE - Will clear all Presets and IRs
2. Holding FS4+FS5 - Will reset Global Settings
3. Holding FS5+FS6 - Will reset Presets only
4. Holding FS6+TAP - Will Perform factory restore (reset, Globals, IRs, and Presets)
5. Holding the right arrow ">" Will put the unit in a fail safe update mode. Use this when the HX Effects is in a un recoverable state

• Upvote 2

14 hours ago, Mincer said:

I am running the most recent firmware on my HX Effects. For an expression pedal, I am using a Thru-Tone EXT-Ult, built into an Ernie Ball volume pedal with a kick switch on the side. The wah is turned on by using the kick switch on the side, and then controlled with the treadle itself. So the switch is just an on/off switch connected to the HXFX exp pedal 2 jack with a small patch cable. 

Recently, on about 20 different occasions (during performances and practice at home), I was nowhere near my pedalboard and the wah just switched on. To turn it off, I have to engage the switch and then disengage it. Trying the patch at home, I was looking at the computer editor and watched the wah engage by itself. 

I've swapped out patch cables. And before the most recent firmware, this has always worked for over a year and 100s of performances. What could be causing the wah to switch on? I didn't change anything in the patch in the new firmware- it is the same one I always use. Obviously the HXFX thinks the on/off for the wah was engaged, but it most certainly wasn't as the pedalboard was across the stage at the time. I spent the last few shows glued to my board, ready to turn off the wah (good thing, too, as it happened a few times). 

When I am not using the wah, I use the exp pedal for delay time and feedback, otherwise I'd just program the wah to come on when I reach 5% or something. 

As rd2rk indicated a global reset is probably the best place to start(create a backup first) and if nothing else has changed since the firmware upgrade hopefully this should sort it out. Assuming you don't have auto-engage set up for your presets with wah as this would lead one to check whether it was a calibration issue.  Has anything in your cabling or the way the switch/knob are set on your Thru-Tone mod changed?  Could the mod on your wah be failing?  An interesting test would be to detect whether a signal is issuing from EXP2 when the wah switches or whether the expression pedal is just switching on by itself without the aid of the HX FX; or I suppose checking to see if the wah block comes on spontaneously without the Ernie Ball connected. If the factory reset doesn't fix things it might be worth testing the expression pedal for a while without the HX FX to see if this is the case.

Thanks for the recommendations! I will do a factory reset to start. I don't have the wah to auto-engage in any of my presets- it always uses an external switch to turn it on. I had never changed any of the settings on the Thru-Tone...using the same settings as always. The strange thing is that it isn't misbehaving when using the expression pedal for other things- it is simply turning the wah on when I am nowhere near my pedalboard. 

So, I will try the reset.

Then if it happens again, I will go back to the previous firmware and see if it happens. 

If it still happens, I will assign the wah to a switch on the HX itself instead of an external one. 

If this still happens, I am removing the wah from the preset entirely.