Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Suddenly No Sound

MrNoisy

I have lost all sound output from the Helix - i changed presets to a new one i downloaded and installed (shown in screenshot) - had sound until i clicked on a block to try to change the tone and the sound disappeared - went back to previous preset but sound remained gone - then checked about 10 other presets - all soundless. Checked global settings (even though i hadn't touched them) and the expression pedal is not set to global (also i don't have a pedal anyway as its a Rack and Floor Controller).
There are about half a dozen threads on the usual forums with similar such problems - NONE of them were ever resolved - every one of the threads just ends hanging with no updates.
No photo description available.

I assume that you're on the latest version - 3.11 for BOTH HX Edit and Helix FW - since HX Edit is showing No Updates Available. If not, do it now.

If the above is covered, do a Factory Reset. Don't forget to Backup first!

Helix Rack
Since the rack doesn't have footswitches, you'll instead hold down a combination of the 6 encoders that are below the main LCD screen as you're booting up.

ENC2 & ENC3 - reset globals
ENC3 & ENC4 - restore stock presets and setlists
ENC4 & ENC5 - restore stock presets, setlists, and IRs
ENC5 & ENC6 - reset globals and restore presets, setlists, and IRs (entire factory restore)
ENC1 & ENC3 - rebuild all presets
ENC1 & ENC5 - clear all presets, setlists, and IRs
ENC1 & ENC6 - will enter Update Mode (This feature is only available on firmware v1.06.5 and higher)

-----------------------------

If that doesn't work, open a support ticket.

Once resolved (by whatever means), come back here and tell us about it, so this doesn't turn into yet another dead-end thread!

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, MrNoisy said:

i changed presets to a new one i downloaded and installed

Oh dear, you're not having much success with this stuff.

Welcome to the great unpredictability of what happens when you load a preset created by someone else.

As noted in the other posts  - trash the troublesome preset, reset your hardware and start with a clean slate.

If it doesn't work contact Customer Support - then, please let us know what was wrong this time. I mention this because the time you had an issue with the foot controller capacitive touch, you had people jumping through hoops trying to help. In the end it turned out to be "user error".  Actually there was nothing wrong with the foot switches, you just didn't know what you were doing and had it in the wrong mode. Jeeziz

Hope this helps/makes sense

• Upvote 2

On 6/8/2021 at 10:03 AM, MrNoisy said:
I have lost all sound output from the Helix - i changed presets to a new one i downloaded and installed (shown in screenshot) - had sound until i clicked on a block to try to change the tone and the sound disappeared - went back to previous preset but sound remained gone - then checked about 10 other presets - all soundless. Checked global settings (even though i hadn't touched them) and the expression pedal is not set to global (also i don't have a pedal anyway as its a Rack and Floor Controller).
There are about half a dozen threads on the usual forums with similar such problems - NONE of them were ever resolved - every one of the threads just ends hanging with no updates.
No photo description available.

As the topic you referred to indicated, a corrupt preset appears to be one of the possible causes for this behavior. Additionally it is always a good idea, particularly when downloading and importing older presets to shutdown and then restart your HX device and let the preset go through the rebuild process before editing it

You can first try deleting the corrupt preset and restarting. If the Helix hangs upon restart hold FS11&FS12 while restarting to delete the offending preset.  If you have an HX device other than the Helix check the link below for the reset option for deleting the current preset for your device.  If you have the Helix Rack there does not seem to be a documented option to delete a single preset, contact Line6, maybe they have one.  If not I would probably do a backup, factory reset and restore all my setlists with the exception of the setlist with the corrupt preset.  You could use 'File' --> 'Extract files from Backup' and restore all the presets in that setlist with the exception of the corrupt one.

Worth mentioning that this is the second global reset option(delete current preset) I have noticed lately that is missing or at least not documented on helixhelp.com for the Rack. The other missing reset option on the Rack is the 'UI Test' mode which is handy for testing for hardware problems.

https://helixhelp.com/tips-and-guides/universal/reset-options

• Upvote 2

On 6/9/2021 at 5:28 AM, HonestOpinion said:

As the topic you referred to indicated, a corrupt preset appears to be one of the possible causes for this behavior. Additionally it is always a good idea, particularly when downloading and importing older presets to shutdown and then restart your HX device and let the preset go through the rebuild process before editing it

You can first try deleting the corrupt preset and restarting. If the Helix hangs upon restart hold FS11&FS12 while restarting to delete the offending preset.  If you have an HX device other than the Helix check the link below for the reset option for deleting the current preset for your device.  If you have the Helix Rack there does not seem to be a documented option to delete a single preset, contact Line6, maybe they have one.  If not I would probably do a backup, factory reset and restore all my setlists with the exception of the setlist with the corrupt preset.  You could use 'File' --> 'Extract files from Backup' and restore all the presets in that setlist with the exception of the corrupt one.

Worth mentioning that this is the second global reset option(delete current preset) I have noticed lately that is missing or at least not documented on helixhelp.com for the Rack. The other missing test on the Rack is the 'UI Test' mode which is handy for testing for hardware problems.

https://helixhelp.com/tips-and-guides/universal/reset-options

thanks for the info - i did what you said and it pretty much worked - strange that Rack doesnt have a "delete preset" function