Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Hd500x Looper Problem?

PermaFry

I just got my HD500x today, its pretty tricky to figure out, but im getting there. I cannot seem to figure out a couple of things so I joined this forum just to ask these 2 questions:

1: Is there a recommended way hook both my Boss RC-300 and my HD500x to my Vox AC-30? I have tried, and succeded, but I am sure whether or not I did it right. I want it so that I can get the best possible sound. There is a footswitch and speaker output on the back of the amp, and a input on the top (of course).

2: My looper on the HD500x is not working when I put it on POST(FS3 light on). I turn the looper on, and then I record a guitar part, but then when I finish and hit play, I cannot hear it, what is the problem?

Thanks

1) The simplest way is to place your Boss looper in the FX loop of the HD500, then on a preset basis place the HD500 FX Loop where you want it in the signal chain.

2) in the signal flow view, select the Looper. Check the Playback Volume parameter; it may simply be set to zero.

1) Im new to this kind of thing so, how exactly would I hook the wires up for the two pedals? When I hook the Boss up it seems to suck some of the life out of the sound.

2) I have tried that and it still does not work.

A good place to start will be with the HD500x in "studio/direct" mode. Plug the 1/4" out from the POD into the FX Return on your AC30.

As silverhead mentioned, in terms of connecting external gear like the Boss looper, add an FX loop block. Double check the FX loop settings / switches, to be sure the levels are set properly.

There should also be some control in the FX loop block, for boost/cut on the send / return.

Ideally, you would want the FX loop with the looper in it LAST in your signal chain. You may need to experiment a bit with this. You might want to set up the rig as mentioned excluding the looper for starters, and dial in a sound you like using a blank patch, and building it from scratch.

Audition some of the amp models until you find something that makes you want to play guitar, and zone out for a bit. Then, doing an A/B comparison between the HD500 fx loop on and off, get the levels in the FX loop block and the external Boss unit, so whether the fx loop is on or off, you get equivalent volume.

In terms of the FX loop block, the "Send" value will let you choose from 0dB, and from there you can cut, to as much as -80db. For the "Return" value, it starts at 0dB, and will let you boost to as much as +24dB.

Here is a .zip of a patch, four versions of same patch, as just a starting point. Plexi, AC30TB, Tweed, and Blackface, amp models. Same FX settings in each. Fx loop set as last in chain. Plus reverb, delay, compressor. The footswitch controls are as follows:

FS1 = Tube Compressor

FS2 = '63 Spring Reverb

FS3 = Digital Delay

FS4 = HD 500 FX Loop

FX Loop_4 patches.zip

Well, I do not have an FX Loop on my Amp so is there another way to do it? I have both the Boss and Pod connected but I still connot change from, for example, FS1 to FS2 without changing the already recorded part.

You don't need an FX Loop on your amp.

Hardware:

Connect your guitar to the HD500 Guitar Input. Connect the FX SEND jack on the rear of the HD500 to the Input of your Boss looper. Connect the Output of your Boss looper to the FX Return jack of the HD500. Connect the HD500 L/MONO output to your amp input.

HD500 Preset:

Select Guitar as Input 1. Add the FX Loop (now your Boss looper) to your signal chain, at any position you like. Select the HD500 Output Mode to one of the Live Modes (not Studio/Direct); experiment with these Live modes and choose the one that sounds best to you.

If you are using one of the HD500 amp models in your preset, be aware that you are using two amps: the HD500 model as well as your physical amp. In this situation, place all your amp's tone knobs, including Drive/Gain, to the neutral position. Use the HD500 amp settings instead.