Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

IR/CAB location in signal chain

hernan93

What would be the "technical difference" between the folowing signal chains (or signal flows)

guitar in-->Wah-->volume control-->gain (drives, distortion, boost, compresor)-->amp modeling-->IR/CAB-->wave/modulation (chorus, flanger, delays, tremolo y reverb)

guitar in-->Wah-->volume control-->gain (drives, distortion, boost, compresor)-->amp modeling-->wave/modulation (chorus, flanger, delays, tremolo y reverb)-->IR/CAB

is it one better than the other? Please helpme to understand the possible differences, advantages or disadvantages. 

Thank you in advance. 

It depends on what you are doing and your preferences....If you were performing live with a conventional guitar amp and you wanted that to be dry using directs to PA that are wet then maybe the first approach is better...If you wanted to run a Left(wet) Center(dry) Right(wet) setup the first approach would be what you need.

If you are not using the amp out, then you might get a bit more of a high fi result from the first approach where the second approach is a bit more realistic in terms of signal chain with a conventional rig. If you are using the amp out with a conventional amp and feeding directs to PA and prefer to hear your FX in the amp, then approach 2 is what you need...

That some basic situations, but chain order is subjective to the material and tone that is needed....Whatever gets you want for the song is the right approach.

Thank you Spaceatl.

From the manual:

20. AMP OUT This unbalanced output is meant to send directly to the front of your
guitar amp. By default, it reflects the same output as the MAIN outputs (except in
mono), but it can be globally switched to be tapped off directly before the Cab/
IR block. This way, you can send a cab-emulated signal to your mixer (or FRFR
speaker) while simultaneously sending a non-cab-emulated signal to your guitar
amp.

In my opinion the ONLY way to use the AMP OUT is the second path, any other way you will skip valuable modulations blocks, am I wrong?

Any advantage having AMP/PREAMP block followed by the IR/CAB over separate them by a few other EQ and effects blocks?

Thank you

1 hour ago, hernan93 said:

Thank you Spaceatl.

From the manual:

20. AMP OUT This unbalanced output is meant to send directly to the front of your
guitar amp. By default, it reflects the same output as the MAIN outputs (except in
mono), but it can be globally switched to be tapped off directly before the Cab/
IR block. This way, you can send a cab-emulated signal to your mixer (or FRFR
speaker) while simultaneously sending a non-cab-emulated signal to your guitar
amp.

In my opinion the ONLY way to use the AMP OUT is the second path, any other way you will skip valuable modulations blocks, am I wrong?

Any advantage having AMP/PREAMP block followed by the IR/CAB over separate them by a few other EQ and effects blocks?

Thank you

It's all about what blocks you want to hear or not hear in the main out vs amp out when it is set to IR/Cab...So if you wanted your amp dry and your DI wet, it could be useful to have FX after the IR block...If you want all the FX in both then you have to move the cab to the end.

If Amp out is set to Main, then the only advantage might be post FX that have a bit more of a hi-fi quality because they are not attenuated by the IR...

In my case, I use an FRFR monitor, so I use the AMP Out for the House Direct and the Main out for my monitor...That way the volume is fixed for FOH and and I can turn my monitor up and down using the Go Master.

For my usage, I always have the cab block as the end because sometimes I will use a provided backline amp...In that case I use the same patch, change the amp out setting to IR/Cab....Amp out goes to the power amp in of the amp I am using and Main out goes to house. I don't ever want anything FX wise going to the main out that isn't in the amp out. My preference.

• Like 1