Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Tuner in live mode

uitagreg

Did try to find via search but no joy! Very probably been asked but is there any way to use the tuner and not have it either mute of bypass all processing? Coming from a Boss GT100, it was a great feature to drop D mid song if I had forgotten!

On 6/11/2021 at 6:52 PM, uitagreg said:

Did try to find via search but no joy! Very probably been asked but is there any way to use the tuner and not have it either mute of bypass all processing? Coming from a Boss GT100, it was a great feature to drop D mid song if I had forgotten!

Unfortunately I don't know of a way to maintain the block processing and have the tuner on simultaneously. You can have it pass sound of course but it seems to bypass all blocks while it does that. You can as you are aware of select an output rather than mute while the tuner is engaged but that does not solve what you are asking for. I hate to say it but your best option if you need that functionality is to use a third party tuner that is always on. 

Perhaps Line6 did it this way so that they would not have to keep the required DSP for the tuner reserved for every preset. The tuner might be DSP greedy. I agree having it available and still being able to have the preset fully engaged would be a nice feature to have. My guess is that if they tried to implement it now they would have to find a new efficiency in their code that provided enough DSP overhead for the tuner without disrupting anyone's presets that are currently maxing out the available DSP.  I suppose another approach would be to have a global setting that allowed this functionality. Then either grey out/disable any preset that was already using too much DSP for the tuner to run simultaneously, or alternatively kick back a message that there is not enough DSP available to allow the tuner to function in that mode on the current preset. 

• Like 1

Cheers for the reply. Coming from the Boss I'm acclimatising slowly, makes me feel like I took the Boss for granted a little. However the more I dig with this thing, the more I get what it can do.
My whammy drop is also now redundant after adding an extra expression pedal! Need to dig out my Variax next!

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, uitagreg said:

Cheers for the reply. Coming from the Boss I'm acclimatising slowly, makes me feel like I took the Boss for granted a little. However the more I dig with this thing, the more I get what it can do.
My whammy drop is also now redundant after adding an extra expression pedal! Need to dig out my Variax next!

I am assuming you have either the Helix or the LT(they have a VDI input) if you are talking about connecting the Variax . Definitely lots of good stuff you can do controlling it from an HX device. Great attitude and keep digging in because these Line6 devices will put any reservations you had about upgrading to rest in short order. There is in my mind no comparison and I am a big fan of some of the Boss and Roland products.  As you have probably read about already there is a bit of a learning curve but one well worth driving around.  Once you learn some of the intricacies regarding how to build a great preset with your rig and get a chance to explore the myriad features available most users find the UI to be on the whole incredibly well thought out both on the device and HX Edit and quite easy to work with.

• Like 1

A question you may be able to help with. I'm all for the scene mode (trails aplenty please) but is there a way to disable a new block from being active when added to a preset on all scenes. I might be missing something but as much as it's not a huge deal, it's a little time consuming to then turn the block off on all the other scenes!

Ideally I'd like to add the block, turn it off and then save, if this was then recognised by all other scenes, I could then turn it back on for the scene that needs it. 

3 hours ago, uitagreg said:

A question you may be able to help with. I'm all for the scene mode (trails aplenty please) but is there a way to disable a new block from being active when added to a preset on all scenes. I might be missing something but as much as it's not a huge deal, it's a little time consuming to then turn the block off on all the other scenes!

Ideally I'd like to add the block, turn it off and then save, if this was then recognised by all other scenes, I could then turn it back on for the scene that needs it. 

Probably the easiest/fastest way to deal with this is to hit the 'Action' button and turn Encoder #5 to 'Snapshot Bypass' = "Off" and bypass the new block. You can turn it back to "On" if you want after saving. Not a perfect solution I know. You may want to also experiment with how the global settings 'Preferences' --> 'Snapshot Edits' being set to either "Recall" or "Discard" affects both the creation of presets and how they behave after a block is turned on with a footswitch while playing live. Maybe someone else has a better suggestion.

The behavior of this has changed over time. In some of the older firmware versions if you bypassed a newly added block in Snapshot #1, all the other snapshots reflected that state as well. I actually preferred it operating that way. 

• Upvote 1