Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix Lite expression pedal

hernan93

How sturdy is the Helix LT expression pedal?

I'm afraid that this seems kind of "soft"... can you really step on and do a wah solo or change modulations efectcs with confidence? Of course, all whithin normal-careful use, not talking about being rude with the unit. 

Thank you. 

Unless you're the 800lb gorilla in the room, I wouldn't lose any sleep over it. Besides, worrying/wondering about it won't make it any less likely to break... just crank it and play. If it fails, only then would there be a problem... till then, rock on.

• Upvote 2

I've had the LT for about 4 years now. I've not had any issues with the pedal. For the first couple years I used only onboard pedal. Later I did add an external expression pedal that I use mostly for wah and pitch/whammy stuff. I only mention that because now it gets the most abuse and I use the onboard pedal for more subtle effects. 

Anywho, I've had zero problems with it and I use it on a pretty regular basis. 

• Like 1

3 years with an LT and I've had no issues with the expression pedal. 

I'm a gigging player that usually does about 100 - 120 gigs a year. Obviously that's been light the past year and  half.... but I certainly have at least 200 gigs on this Helix so far. 

It seems to work fine.  I do have an issue where my pedal starts only going up to 99%, then 98%.  It recalibrates itself when you reboot.  I set up my Helix LT so that I don't use the toe switch: either

1. my wah turns on if I put it past 5%, or

2. the wah is enabled in a specific snapshot. 

I also exclusively use EXP 2, not 1.  The advantage is that if my pedal for some reason craps out, I can continue using my Helix LT with an external pedal without having to change anything.  

Thank you for your reply.

Sorry for the "dummy" question, but what patch cable do you use to connect the LT Exp2 socket -->Expression pedal? is it better a regular instrument (guitar) cable, or does it better a TRS cable?

21 hours ago, hernan93 said:

Thank you for your reply.

Sorry for the "dummy" question, but what patch cable do you use to connect the LT Exp2 socket -->Expression pedal? is it better a regular instrument (guitar) cable, or does it better a TRS cable?

Line 6 spec has always been a TS cable (not TRS) with a 10K pot. The Helix can work with other expression formats, but it does become "hit and miss". 

3 hours ago, codamedia said:

Line 6 spec has always been a TS cable (not TRS) with a 10K pot.

I gutted an old crybaby and put in a dunlop 10k pot, wired it up and it's been working great for years now. It's connected with a standard TS patch cable. Even crammed a spring in the toe so it does the "spring loaded" thing. 

Here's a diagram for the wiring I used:

exp_pedal.jpg&key=601bb73ee8f403e5cf4d6d

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
11 hours ago, hernan93 said:

Hello, have anyone tried this?

Amazon.com: M-Audio EX-P | Universal Expression Pedal for Keyboards, MIDI Keyboards/Controllers and Supported Guitar Effects Pedals: M-Audio: Musical Instruments

I really like mission engineering expression pedals, but $30 vs $140 is a big difference...

Thank you. 

Hi,

Yes, I have 3 of those M-Audio EX-P pedals. I have 2 connected to my Helix Floor unit and the third is used on my Arturia KeyLab61 controller keyboard along with an M-Audio sustain pedal. 

The Mission pedals are metal cases and built like tanks for heavy duty use. The M-Audio are tough plastic cases, but at theses prices you could buy several of these for the cost of a single Mission box. When it comes down to it - it’s a variable resistor that you sweep with a treadle. As my Helix is essentially studio based and the M-Audio pedals are still working perfectly after 5 years, if and when one fails it’s cheap enough to replace.

Hope this helps makes sense.

EDIT:

If you do buy one and then you think that the sweep appears to be “reversed” going from 100 heel -0% toe,  simply go to the Global settings a set the polarity function to “inverted”. Solved!

On 6/13/2021 at 4:41 AM, hernan93 said:

Of course, all whithin normal-careful use, not talking about being rude with the unit. 

You may want to make sure the pedal movement is smooth enough -- the degree of tightness can be adjusted. Other than that you should be fine.