Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HX Stomp + HX Effects Routing Possibilities Question

d_sic3

Hi Guys,

I am not a guru on any of the technical stuff hence I am writing this to get advices and to know if I am doing it right. 

Connecting both my Axe Fx ultra together with my HX stomp + HX Effects.. The goal is to combine 4 amps available in both modelers to see if it will sound better. 

Please check the images below...

- Let me know if this is okay or if there is a better way of hooking it up? 

- Do I need to use something like goodwood audio stuff in any of the outputs?

- Will there be any phase cancellation issues since these are just modelers?

Note:
- The HX Effects is placed first so I can use Delay and Reverb or any effects before and after the Amps in the Stomp.  The Amps and cab already eats up 4 blocks in the stomp so...

- Stereo from Axe Fx to the Sends and Returns of the Stomp and HX Effects

Thank you in advance.

routing.jpg

Here's how it looks like in my Axe Fx.  The FX loop block is where the HX Stomp and HX Effects were connected.

Dry signal is in Level 1, panned at center.

Wet signal is in Levels 3 and 4, panned hard Left and Right.

axe.jpg

I only have a HX Stomp but could you not do the following (I maybe completely wrong so make sure the output levels are way way down, or even off, before switiching the units on):

• Connect the Axe FX stereo send to the stereo input of the HX Effects
  • Connect the stereo output of the HX Effects to the Axe FX stereo return
  • Connect the input & send of the HX Stomp to one of the HX Effects loops
  • Connect the return & output of the HX Stomp to the other HX Effects loop

If the loops in the HX Effects are stereo do the connections in point 3-4 as stereo.

That way you can put HX Effects effects before and after your HX Stomp while having them on a sepepate line in the Axe FX matrix

Just a thought.

Thank you for that suggestion. 

Just to clarify.

• Connect the Axe FX stereo send to the stereo input of the HX Effects
  • Connect the stereo output of the HX Effects to the Axe FX stereo return
  • Connect the input & send of the HX Stomp to one of the HX Effects loops
    • The hx effects send/return has only one jack for each fx loop.
    • Do I need to use a TRS jack from hx effects send then split it into two TS cables going to Stomp's input L and R?

• Connect the return & output of the HX Stomp to the other HX Effects loop
    • Same as above, do I need to use a TRS jack from hx effects send, split it into two TS cables going to Stomp's return jack L and R?

Not sure if the hx effects send/return jacks take TRS.. 

Outside of the stereo routing issues, the main problem I see with this is latency and noise.

Each AD/DA conversion takes <>1.8ms. You have 6 total. 6 x 1.8 = 10.8ms.

Add to that whatever latency might exist within each unit - I'll guess <1ms, so call it .8ms(?) x 3 = 2.4 + 10.8 = 13.2ms.

The average person starts to "hear" latency at around 10ms. Some say that they begin to "feel" latency at as low as 2ms (Steve Vai - for us mortals it's probably more like 4-5ms).

If you use a wireless, add another 1.8ms = 15ms.

Altogether, it's not an insurmountable amount, but if you're used to the snappiness of plugging a guitar straight into an amp, it could be a problem.

Also, while individually these devices are very quiet, even with high end patch cables a certain amount of noise could be introduced. Certainly less than a moderate sized analog pedalboard, but still, something to consider.

I'm not saying this won't work, just pointing out some considerations.

11 minutes ago, rd2rk said:

Outside of the stereo routing issues, the main problem I see with this is latency and noise.

Each AD/DA conversion takes <>1.8ms. You have 6 total. 6 x 1.8 = 10.8ms.

Add to that whatever latency might exist within each unit - I'll guess <1ms, so call it .8ms(?) x 3 = 2.4 + 10.8 = 13.2ms.

The average person starts to "hear" latency at around 10ms. Some say that they begin to "feel" latency at as low as 2ms (Steve Vai - for us mortals it's probably more like 4-5ms).

If you use a wireless, add another 1.8ms = 15ms.

Altogether, it's not an insurmountable amount, but if you're used to the snappiness of plugging a guitar straight into an amp, it could be a problem.

Also, while individually these devices are very quiet, even with high end patch cables a certain amount of noise could be introduced. Certainly less than a moderate sized analog pedalboard, but still, something to consider.

I'm not saying this won't work, just pointing out some considerations.

Thanks rd2rk.. I think I'd be better off without the Axe. haha

No issue (yet) on the latency "feel" but I have noise.  I was taking it as a normal noise from my drive pedals.  I better check when I get back.

3 hours ago, d_sic3 said:

Hey @rd2rk Will there be an AD/DA conversion from hx effects to hx stomp and vice versa?

Whenever the signal enters or leaves a digital device over an analog cable - TS/TRS vs USB/L6 Link - there's a DA conversion (outbound) or AD conversion (inbound).

So, yes.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1