Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Presets Arrangement

tomyorkis

Today I bought my helix and when I opened it up the presets were listed 000, 001, 002 etc. however, after updating the soft wear, the presets are now listed 01A, 01B, 01C etc. I was wondering how I can change it back to the original listing? I find it odd why I have to group my presets in groups of four.

Thanks. 

Just to be clear -- when you install an update on a Helix, it resets the global settings to the default settings, while leaving your presets intact.  So what you need to do every time is to restore your Global Settings from the backup every time.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, theElevators said:

Just to be clear -- when you install an update on a Helix, it resets the global settings to the default settings, while leaving your presets intact.  So what you need to do every time is to restore your Global Settings from the backup every time.  

You provide a good clarification and I would add that the Line6 release notes for many/most of the updates including the  latest(3.11) versions of the firmware or HX Edit take it one step further and have you restoring everything which includes globals, but also setlists, IRs, etc.. The factory reset footswitch combinations they recommend for each device are a comprehensive factory reset, not just global settings. There has been much debate over this in the last couple of years as to whether you need a full reset or just globals but until Line6 stops giving guidance to do a full restore that is what I will continue to do. Just restoring the global settings might be sufficient but it is hard for me to believe that Line6 would go through this many updates giving the same guidance(do a comprehensive factory reset) unless there was a reason. Nobody I would hope can forget to change the release notes that many times in a row :-)

There have been sufficient reports over the years of people having problems restoring there backups/presets where a full restore just seems like a more thorough preventive measure to ensure a smooth upgrade path through multiple firmware and editor revisions. It's worked for me.

Some here are probably already tired of me being an evangelist for what appears to be the relatively under-used command in HX Edit,  'File' --> 'Extract Files From Backup', but it is such a convenient way to help bulletproof your upgrade process and provide added insurance against losing setlists or presets between upgrades(not that this is likely). It only takes a second to run and will provide you with a one-click extract of all your presets divided into directories named after your setlists. Do it before every upgrade.

3 minutes ago, HonestOpinion said:

You provide a good clarification and I would add that the Line6 release notes for many/most of the updates including the  latest(3.11) versions of the firmware or HX Edit take it one step further and have you restoring everything which includes globals, but also setlists, IRs, etc.. The factory reset footswitch combinations they recommend for each device are a comprehensive factory reset, not just global settings. There has been much debate over this in the last couple of years as to whether you need a full reset or just globals but until Line6 stops giving guidance to do a full restore that is what I will continue to do. Just restoring the global settings might be sufficient but it is hard for me to believe that Line6 would go through this many updates giving the same guidance(do a comprehensive factory reset) unless there was a reason. Nobody I would hope can forget to change the release notes that many times in a row :-)

There have been sufficient reports over the years of people having problems restoring there backups/presets where a full restore just seems like a more thorough preventive measure to ensure a smooth upgrade path through multiple firmware and editor revisions. It's worked for me.

Yup, I do that too.