Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

2 Linked PowerCab 112+ Master Volume Solution

CMO79

So for my own use the best setup I could arrange for sound and feel has been stacking my dual 112+ powercabs.

Is it possible for one of the physical volume controls to control power and output to both of the amplifiers.

Instead in its current state they both need to be adjusted from each powercab and it would be ideal to override this and function amplifier output from one powercab for both units.

This would be helpful and allow for more control from the patches and then the ability to control the total output of the amplifiers on the unit itself , albeit from one unit globally.

Any changes for output level outside of the master powercab volume being done on the patch or global settings of the helix.

Please inform.

Thank you.

The best way I know of to do this is to assign an expression pedal to send CC#7 (undocumented).

With two cabs you'll need to have the MIDI ports chained - Helix Out/Thru>PC112+#1 MIDI IN>PC112+#1 MIDI Out/Thru>PC112+#2 MIDI In.

Both need to be set to the same MIDI Channel that your Helix is transmitting on, and MIDI Thru needs to be enabled on PC112+#1.

• Like 1

Interested to try this midi chain but assign an increase and decrease output to 2 foot switches up/down output.

Then on other presets where those 2 foot switches may be needed use the expression pedal assign or vice versa.

This is still a great work/around? Still not sure if it's a limitation from what's available  and if there's a way to do this by the powercab volume knob.

So I'm not going to mark this as the answer but definitely great knowledge and feature to make use of rd2rk! Thanks!

CC#7 controls the PC Volume knob. Of course it doesn't physically turn it, but that's what's being controlled.

If you want a static increase via a footswitch, you can simply assign the FS to the Output Block Level with appropriate Min/Max settings.

• Like 1

Further to the above - If you want to use a single FS and MIDI CC#7 (keeps the Output Level to the PC steady), IIRC the MIDI value for 0.0db is 108.

EDIT: DISREGARD! I did not recall correctly. However, as I just tried this with the FS method, it works fine, but be aware that you'll need to use a Toggling CC, and once you've found your ideal Min/Max Values, when you load the Preset the Min Value will be sent, overriding the physical knob setting. You could, of course use 2 footswitches with regular non-toggling CCs, which are NOT sent on Preset load, but seems to be a waste of footswitches to me. The whole footswitch idea is kind of strange, since volume level requirements are never the same from one venue to the next. Fine for home use I suppose......

• Like 1

Expression pedal working like a champ with the easy setup of assigning MIDI CC#7 to it which is great.

Ultimately what i'm trying for is the ability to have power split between the 2 powercabs so that changing the volume on one powercab changes both at the same amount so it really is not dependent on the patch level strictly.

It is thank you!

I still need to clarify what I wanted.:)

Since I have 2 of the cabs stacked you can't get to the volume controls on the bottom one.

So i am wanting to have the top powercab master control both volumes "slave" and all !:) 

If the MIDI is configured correctly as I described, both volumes should be under control of the expression pedal, as the MIDI is both controlling PC1 and passing through PC1 to PC2.

That's why they need to be on the same MIDI Channel with MIDI Thru enabled on PC1.

I tried setting up the powercab to  midi through USB as I do not have any 5 pin midi cables to test but i must've missed something as the volume did not change the output from the cab but only the expression pedal on the helix.

4 minutes ago, rd2rk said:

Unless you're wanting to slave the physical knob. That won't work, which is why MIDI.

Ultimately yes or a way to unify both of the powercabs so the volume can be changed unilaterally...

If not i may need to go for a powercab 212 as i still am under the return policy,but i don't want to yet.

19 minutes ago, CMO79 said:

I tried setting up the powercab to  midi through USB as I do not have any 5 pin midi cables to test but i must've missed something as the volume did not change the output from the cab but only the expression pedal on the helix.

That won't work, you need proper 5-pin MIDI cables.

FWIW - I sold my PC112+ with which I was not overly thrilled, and bought a PC212+. I love it!

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, rd2rk said:

That won't work, you need proper 5-pin MIDI cables.

FWIW - I sold my PC112+ with which I was not overly thrilled, and bought a PC212+. I love it!

1.Yeah I just read up on the powercab and saw that i needed 5 pin midi cables and remember something about through usb only being send and not return but may be wrong. 

2. Good Good. Thinking i may also really like the extra bass port on the 212 and being enclosed in 1 cabinet. 

I haven't played through one yet but for dual 112's i'm starting to also feel For certain a 212 will be the way I will setup.

I have a PC112+ and a 212+.  I stack the 112 on the 212 and yes, the 212 volume knob is hard to get to.  When playing at home, I will get the initial volume matched by manually turning both knobs... but after that, if I need to turn it down, I will use the master knob on the Helix.  this controls both the 112 and the 212.  Yes, it does decrease the signal a bit, so you might not see yellow, but for playing from home, this lets me turn down if my wife yells at me :) (she really never yells and is a good sport).

so that may be one option for you.

• Like 1

Thanks PaulTBaker that is a great solution will need to try if I don't just spring for the 212 after work today..MUMBLE MUMBLE. 

But yeah as of right now I've disabled the helix volume knob and running through line volume.

Can easily disable but I did notice the level signal dropping not splitting hairs about it.

Could be the most optimal solution!

10 minutes ago, CMO79 said:

I also thought about returning just the 1 112 and getting a 212 to stack with the other but couldn't justify the price right now enough for that again... that's now:)

Currently discounted $200.....

So I went ahead and ordered the 212+ it at the sale price and basically was an even swap. All things aside really looking forward to having that extra control in one awesome powered amplifier speaker cabinet. 

Turns out the vendor had to put the order on backorder until the 25th , must be selling like hotcakes!

Been playing on my Spark 40 w, Cube 20w XL and then studio monitors and getting along fine!

So update...I ordered my Powercab 212+ on 6/15 and they're backordered with a soft date for tomorrow but when I called was saying july 13th...The horror! Ahh 

So been practicing on my spark 40 and roland cube 20xl . 

Had two PC+ 112s. There was a problem with getting one to work with L6 Link. Sent them back, got the 212+. Loved it. It is really a great cab no doubt. However, for my studio, just too big and loud and I liked the spread of the two 112s, so I just got two new 112s during the sale and am really happy. They both have their place. The 212 is a monster. Stereo spread is good in it, but not quite as nice as two cabs actually separated by a few feet.