Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Unassigning "Preset/Stomp" and "Tap/Tuner" (Helix Floor)

wildcombination

I've got some Helix presets where I'm using the stomp switches to control pedals that I need at arm's reach for twiddling with, but I could really do with a couple more switches. Is it possible to unassign the switches on the right that control Preset/Stomp mode and the tap tempo? I really don't need access to these here (or really, ever) but for the life of me I can't work out how to take them off. Strangely, I can assign midi cc controls to each of those stomps in command center, but I'm guessing since "customize" isn't available on those assignments I either can't take off their primary function, or I've missed where you can do this elsewhere. I couldn't find anything in the manual so I'm hoping somebody can give me a definitive answer on whether it's possible or not. Cheers!

2 hours ago, wildcombination said:

whether it's possible or not

Yes,

Global Settings > Footswitches > knob 3 > 10 Footswitches Mode.

Page 66  Helix 3.0 Owner’s Manual - Rev E - English.

Hope this helps/makes sense.

That's the mode I use, and it frees up the bank up/bank down footswitches on the left, but the guys on the right (preset/stomp and tap tempo) stick around. I guess the fact there isn't a "12 footswitches" option suggests they're hardcoded, but that seems like a strange design choice (and not really in-keeping with the uber-customisability of the Helix in general).

• Like 1

I personally wish I could disable the preset/stomp button, since I'm always in snapshots and my stomps are always blank.  The tap tempo/tuner button I do use.  The tuner is actually great, if you don't use the OCD fine tuner that is enabled by default -- it's awful and jumpy.  I now rely on the onboard coarse tuner and it gives me great results for tuning up during a gig. 

On 6/23/2021 at 9:39 AM, theElevators said:

I personally wish I could disable the preset/stomp button, since I'm always in snapshots and my stomps are always blank.  The tap tempo/tuner button I do use.  The tuner is actually great, if you don't use the OCD fine tuner that is enabled by default -- it's awful and jumpy.  I now rely on the onboard coarse tuner and it gives me great results for tuning up during a gig. 

Interesting.. I didn't know there were any options on the tuner - what exactly is the on board coarse tuner you're describing then?

12 minutes ago, Paulzx said:

Interesting.. I didn't know there were any options on the tuner - what exactly is the on board coarse tuner you're describing then?

When you long press the TAP F/S to enter the tuning facility you can modify the tuner from  Fine, to Coarse or Strobe using knob 4 marked “Type”.

See page 44 - Helix 3.0 Owner’s Manual - Rev E - English.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, datacommando said:

When you long press the TAP F/S to enter the tuning facility you can modify the tuner from  Fine, to Coarse or Strobe using knob 4 marked “Type”.

See page 44 - Helix 3.0 Owner’s Manual - Rev E - English.

There are other calibration parameters as well, like whether you tune to A440 or A438.  You can also adjust specific pitches for individual strings, which is kinda cool,  You can slightly downtune your g-string for example (what EVH did). 

If you want default parameters in the tuner or anywhere else, simply press on the knobs and they snap to the default settings.  Be careful that you don't accidentally mis-callibrate your tuner, it's easy to mess things up, so always check what you have there

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, theElevators said:

You can also adjust specific pitches for individual strings, which is kinda cool,  You can slightly downtune your g-string for example (what EVH did). 

Yes - this is particularly good for those James Taylor "sweetened" tunings - for example:

low E: -12 cents
A: -10 
D: -8
G: -4
B: -6
E: -3

• Upvote 2