Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Steinberg UR12 + Pod Farm 2 = No sound output

I'm using a "Steinberg UR12" USB audio interface with Pod Farm 2 to pair it up with my XLR Audio Technica AT2020 mic. I finally got the program to detect my hardware after downloading the correct driver for my USB audio interface. the driver is called "Yamaha Steinberg USB (ASIO)". I select it. I can hear myself in Pod Farm after selecting various effects like noise gate, compressor or american classic, Screamer. I can hear myself and its working but when I try to record myself in Windows for example in windows voice recorder or Nvidia shadowplay or OBS, or Audacity, anything pretty much, i cannot HEAR my Pod Farm input (the various sound effects i selected) in Windows audio output/recording. this is sad. don't tell me Pod Farm doesn't work with my audio interface...

•  

You would need to select PodFarm as your audio input device in the Windows Sound settings.  In reality, you should be using a decent DAW, not the Windows audio recorder.  Audacity, while really just an audio editor, could be used (it's free).  Your AI should have come with Cubase (DAW) - try it!

28 minutes ago, fflbrgst said:

You would need to select PodFarm as your audio input device in the Windows Sound settings.  In reality, you should be using a decent DAW, not the Windows audio recorder.  Audacity, while really just an audio editor, could be used (it's free).  Your AI should have come with Cubase (DAW) - try it!

There is no option for Pod Farm in audio input device in the windows sound settings.

and why does it matter what I use it in? regardless of what it is, whether its cubase (DAW) or windows voice recorder, the point is, i can't get it to work with neither of those lol. and I think the problem is that Pod Farm isn't even compatible with Steinberg UR12 audio interface. its a shame they should include this information in the description so people know what they're buying. I just want to use this with my video games like when i'm in comms on Overwatch or when im streaming/recording videos for youtube. and for that, testing it in Windows recorder will suffice. if it works in windows recorder, it'll work in nvidia shadowplay which i use to record videos for youtube. and then it'll also work in OBS which is used for streaming.

OK, I guess you have the 'stand alone' PodFarm only, possibly you need the full version which allows use as a 'plug-in' in a DAW, but... in neither of your Windows audio settings screen shots do you have the interface selected as the device (input or output).  This has nothing to do with 'compatibility' with your interface - any interface would behave the same way.

10 hours ago, fflbrgst said:

OK, I guess you have the 'stand alone' PodFarm only, possibly you need the full version which allows use as a 'plug-in' in a DAW, but... in neither of your Windows audio settings screen shots do you have the interface selected as the device (input or output).  This has nothing to do with 'compatibility' with your interface - any interface would behave the same way.

don't worry i'm not dumb lol. i took this screenshot a day later. But when i was testing it with Pod Farm i had the correct input/outputs selected. i.e. i had Steinberg UR12 selected, but now i gave up on pod farm, i'm using voicemeeter instead so i changed it so that's what you're seeing in the screenshots. 

Anyway, how do i get this plug-in version? I am guessing the plug-in version of Pod Farm can only be used with DAWs...is that true?

Also I will try using the recording feature on a DAW instead of applications like audacity, windows voice recorder, nvidia shadowplay or OBS and see if that works...

although what i really want is to make Pod Farm work in OBS and nvidia shadowplay...

Edit: nvm i just now understand what you mean by using Pod Farm as a plug-in. the plug-in method is working, but it only works in DAWs. so that's not applicable to my situation. I want to make Pod Farm work in streaming setups/recordings like Nvidia shadowplay and OBS. I've seen the streamer Samito use Pod Farm with his streaming setup and he also uses the line 6 hardware UX2 along with it. so I think my solution is to get the UX2 audio interface. I will probably end up returning/refunding this software and grab a UX2 instead which comes with Pod Farm included. Depending on if Line 6 customer service can help me troubleshoot and teach me how to make Pod Farm work with my Steinberg UR12 usb audio interface. if they can't help then i'm returning it and grabbing the UX2

The UX2 is just an audio interface, like your Stenberg.  Both will do exactly the same thing with PodFarm.  If you have the full version of PF (that allows use as a plug-in), then you also have the stand-alone version already.

On 6/23/2021 at 10:35 AM, fflbrgst said:

The UX2 is just an audio interface, like your Stenberg.  Both will do exactly the same thing with PodFarm.  If you have the full version of PF (that allows use as a plug-in), then you also have the stand-alone version already.

i mean i'm certain that getting the UX2 will solve my issues. i'm looking at videos on youtube of other people using it with the UX2 audio interface and they have "special" settings available to them in Pod Farm that I don't get with my Steinberg UR12 audio interface. I think those settings might be what i need. it's the mixer settings, you can see what i'm talking about here... see how it says "INPUT" and etc for this guy when he goes to his mixer in Pod Farm? I don't get that with my audio interface. Also the people i've seen give tutorials about Pod Farm on youtube have all also been using the UX2 audio interface along with it: 

I just can't figure out how to use Pod Farm with my Steinberg UR12 to use it with streaming/recording software like OBS or Nvidia shadowplay... that's what i'm trying to troubleshoot/get help from the line 6 customer service right now. it works as a plug-in in DAWs. But I don't really use DAWs, i don't make music, atleast not right now. But i do game alot. and I want to use this when i'm communicating with my team while playing Overwatch too.

You can see here in these 2 people's videos, you CAN use Pod Farm with OBS and they both have 1 thing in common. They're both using Line 6 UX2 audio interface:

Ok, when you open PodFarm, click on 'File', then 'Preferences'.  Go to the Hardware tab.  You should be able to select the Steinberg as your input device there.  If it is not an option, then that means you don't have the Steinberg ASIO drivers installed.

The reason you are seeing these videos with people using the UX2 is because when you buy a UX2 is comes with PodFarm!

21 hours ago, fflbrgst said:

Ok, when you open PodFarm, click on 'File', then 'Preferences'.  Go to the Hardware tab.  You should be able to select the Steinberg as your input device there.  If it is not an option, then that means you don't have the Steinberg ASIO drivers installed.

The reason you are seeing these videos with people using the UX2 is because when you buy a UX2 is comes with PodFarm!

Well, I finally got Pod Farm working with EVERYTHING now. not just with a DAW as plugin, but EVERYTHING. I had to buy the Line 6 UX2 interface. and now it's working with all apps I wanted it to work with. Nvidia shadowplay, OBS, windows voice recorder, audacity...you name it. it's working perfectly now. Told ya I just needed the UX2 audio interface. seems Pod Farm is not fully functional with other audio interfaces. With my Steinberg UR12 it would only work as a plugin in a DAW.

16 hours ago, zeezee said:

Well, I finally got Pod Farm working with EVERYTHING now. not just with a DAW as plugin, but EVERYTHING. I had to buy the Line 6 UX2 interface. and now it's working with all apps I wanted it to work with. Nvidia shadowplay, OBS, windows voice recorder, audacity...you name it. it's working perfectly now. Told ya I just needed the UX2 audio interface. seems Pod Farm is not fully functional with other audio interfaces. With my Steinberg UR12 it would only work as a plugin in a DAW.

Not true, you just didn't find the correct settings.  I verified it yesterday before replying to you - PodFarm stand-alone works fine for me with a Focusrite AI.  An interface is an interface - takes an analog input and converts it to digital.  

9 hours ago, fflbrgst said:

Not true, you just didn't find the correct settings.  I verified it yesterday before replying to you - PodFarm stand-alone works fine for me with a Focusrite AI.  An interface is an interface - takes an analog input and converts it to digital.  

Nah. I tried every possible setting dude and nothing worked. What do you mean I couldn't find the settings? lol they're not there to begin with. I'm serious. some of the settings wouldn't even open. And a bunch of new settings became available to me after I started using the UX2 audio interface. These settings were not even there when I was using the Steinberg UR12. I even tried reinstalling windows/reinstall audio drivers

9 hours ago, zeezee said:

some of the settings wouldn't even open.

Ok on a separate note, I can confirm this when I select my Yamaha Steinberg USB (ASIO) hardware in preferences on Pod Farm, if I try to click on "ASIO Settings" nothing opens - this is on Pod Farm 2.59, HOWEVER, on Pod Farm 2.55 it opens fine. Seems to be a glitch/bug in the new version.

Which Focusrite Scarlett device are you using btw? If it's working for your Focusrite Scarlett why don't you tell me what the problem is then and how I can fix it?

1 hour ago, fflbrgst said:

Look dude, I appreciate you trying, but you're not helping. 

This is what my settings look like in Pod Farm mixer when I'm using my Steinberg UR12 hardware (THERE's NO WAY TO SELECT MIC INPUT):

steinbergur12.jpg.779dc48b851cdb7e1563d086f7a5dd2b.jpg

Now look at this, this is what my settings look like in Pod Farm mixer when I'm using the Line 6 UX2 audio interface hardware (CAN SELECT MIC INPUT):

ux2.jpg.5b202d591556d0518d9d6320da1fe8bf.jpg

On 7/1/2021 at 11:29 AM, zeezee said:

This is what my settings look like in Pod Farm mixer when I'm using my Steinberg UR12 hardware (THERE's NO WAY TO SELECT MIC INPUT):

Because 'mic input' is the default selection for input 1 on your Steinburg.  If you click on 'file', then 'preferences', you can then look at the input selection and choose ch 1 (mic input) or ch 2 (instrument input) of the Steinburg.  Line 6 hardware adds those controls to the PodFarm GUI, but you can still access the features with our Steinburg (input selection from preferences) and 'recording wet/dry' from your DAW or other software.

2 hours ago, fflbrgst said:

Because 'mic input' is the default selection for input 1 on your Steinburg.  If you click on 'file', then 'preferences', you can then look at the input selection and choose ch 1 (mic input) or ch 2 (instrument input) of the Steinburg.  Line 6 hardware adds those controls to the PodFarm GUI, but you can still access the features with our Steinburg (input selection from preferences) and 'recording wet/dry' from your DAW or other software.

ok fair enough, you're right those settings seem to be in File > Preferences > Hardware. But yeah, still doesn't make the Steinberg UR12 work with Pod Farm standalone. All the correct settings are selected (and even if they are not correct, I tried every other setting possible, still nothing), I can hear my edited voice with Pod Farm effects in Pod Farm monitored output when the program is open. But when you go to record voice in an app like OBS, Nvidia Shadowplay or Windows voice recorder, nothing, it doesn't record my voice the way I'm hearing it in Pod Farm monitoring output.

My conclusion: The Steinberg just isn't compatible with Pod Farm standalone. Works as plugin with DAWs sure, but I want to be able to use both standalone and plugin with DAW with my Steinberg UR12. Tried everything but my Steinberg UR12 couldn't work with Pod Farm standalone so I gave up and just bought the Line 6 UX2 hardware. Anyway, it's not the perfect solution, but hey problem solved. Now my mic sounds great with the UX2, like I wanted it to, works with every app I can think of, shadowplay, OBS or windows voice recorder... this is exactly the reason why I bought Pod Farm. Pre-amped, clear and crisp mic quality/vocals. Could try to make a song with it or use it for podcasts or streaming/gaming commentaries. Cheers.