Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Anyone With An Hd400

wcmexbm

I have a HD400 and love the reduced feature set for it's ease of use, However....

The "stereo" effects loop appears to be mono! even when placed "post amp" When using my Eventide H9 which has wild spatial, panning effects it appears to be summed to mono at the "effect return".

Why would this be, and how in Hell could line 6 label these connections as "stereo"?

If anyone else here who uses an HD400 could confirm this...I don't see how I could be doing anything wrong but am certainly willing to be corrected if there is a solution to this..

Very much appreciated for any effort in helping w/ this...

Thanks....

Check the cable.  It must be stereo (TRS) for carrying a stereo signal.  A malfunctioning cable might sum the signal 2 mono.

Thanks, Not on the HD400, It has dual mono send & return. Separate left & right jacks for both send and return.

Then may be the last FX block just before the FX Loop is mono.

Thanks for your reply.

The nature of the H9 is that it make even mono signals sent to it output in discreet stereo (i.e. even mono input results in wild, panning discreet stereo effects) so, this being the case Why is the return on the Pod HD400 summing to mono?

Is the FX loop/H9 the very last thing in your chain?  Is there anything after the FX loop that could possibly be turning the signal to mono?  I understnd what the H9 is supposed to do but is there any way you can verify that it is actually doing what you think it is? ie. sending it's output to a stereo amp rather than back into the POD just to be sure it is actually creating the audible stereo effect you want?  Just ideas...

Is the FX loop/H9 the very last thing in your chain?  Is there anything after the FX loop that could possibly be turning the signal to mono?  I understnd what the H9 is supposed to do but is there any way you can verify that it is actually doing what you think it is? ie. sending it's output to a stereo amp rather than back into the POD just to be sure it is actually creating the audible stereo effect you want?  Just ideas...

Hi, Thanks for replying. Yes the H9 is outputting correctly, I  plug my guitar directly into the Left( mono) input of the H9 and run the L & R outputs to my mixer and hear the effect.

Also, there is only a reverb effects block after the return but it makes no difference whether it's mix is up or set to zero. the L6 reverb is in stereo but the FX return signal (the H9) is summed to mono, Always.

As an aside, please see this thread I started about the answer i received from L6 tech support...

http://line6.com/support/topic/6134-heres-a-l6-support-sevice-joke-of-an-answer/

Also, there is only a reverb effects block after the return but it makes no difference whether it's mix is up or set to zero. the L6 reverb is in stereo but the FX return signal (the H9) is summed to mono, Always.

As an aside, please see this thread I started about the answer i received from L6 tech support...

This is your problem. The reverb blocks will sum a stereo input to mono, then apply the effect and output stereo. So any stereo separation you had will be lost.

• Upvote 4

This is your problem. The reverb blocks will sum a stereo input to mono, then apply the effect and output stereo. So any stereo separation you had will be lost.

Good call Phil, I didn't understand that myself before.  I thought the reverb was true stereo but its actually not...  here is the link to the full table for all M series effects...

http://line6.com/support/page/kb/_/effects/m5-m9-m13/stereomono-fx-routing-table-r127

• Upvote 1

Thank You Phil, You have definitively answered my question.

Unfortunately the reverb on the HD400 cannot be turned off, removed or it's position changed in the effects order, the users only option is a mix knob.

Thanks Again to Phil for providing me with the answer that L6 tech support would not.

Sneaky, Sneaky lollipop...Stinks of Roland.

Thank You Phil, You have definitively answered my question.

Unfortunately the reverb on the HD400 cannot be turned off, removed or it's position changed in the effects order, the users only option is a mix knob.

Thanks Again to Phil for providing me with the answer that L6 tech support would not.

Sneaky, Sneaky lollipop...Stinks of Roland.

With this said, I still have to wonder WHY there would be a "STEREO" fx return if the signal is ultimately going to be summed to mono. I understand the "answer" but I still don't "get" it.

I think you can select 'None' as the Reverb model. That should turn the Reverb off and permit a stereo signal to come through.

Hi, Just checked... no Joy. Users MUST select a reverb, no option for "none".  Seems like that could provide something simple like that with a courtesy patch. (hint: aint gonna happen)

Hi, Just checked... no Joy. Users MUST select a reverb, no option for "none".  Seems like that could provide something simple like that with a courtesy patch. (hint: aint gonna happen)

Ok so place the reverb in the Pre position and the FX loop in the post position and that should solve the problem...  :D