Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix floor randomly shuts down and reboots

Maxy71

Hi All, 
my Helix floor randomly shuts down and restarts... this is really hard to manage while playing!
I've recently updated it to 3.11 firmware, but sometimes this has happened also before. 
I've tried to check for power supply cable and connectors integrity, to unplug it and plug it again...but apparently everything is ok.
I've also tried to switch off Helix unit, disconnect everything for 2 or 3 minutes, and then to switch on. Il works fine for some minute and then the problem occurs again.
I didn't notice any particular condition while this issue happening, such as volumes, temperatures, particular cables connected or any particular setup.... Just using it exactly like dozens of other times! But, if in the past this has happened a couple of times...and it didn't create particular concern.... Now this occurs randomly, but with a frequency that the unit is really impossible to use!!
As I read somewhere (I can't remember) that some user had similar issue, but that also other Helix systems have similar issue, have you ever had similar situations?

Thanks for attention! 

Hardware reboots (with a shut down in the middle) aren't funny and I don't really think you can "fix" this just messing around with firmware reinstall or a reset.

Support ticket, and I also would stop using it until properly diagnosed. 

Sounds like a hardware failure, others have mentioned.  But, it could be the power supply too. I once played an outdoor gig and the power was really really iffy.  With every bass drum hit, the lights dimmed.  My pedalboard that had worked flawlessly was going completely berserk.  One of the digital pedals was constantly rebooting -- what a nightmare.  See if it's that.  Just as an experiment, plug in your Helix in a different house/building, etc.  Good luck! 

PS: I just played an outdoor gig yesterday, and plugged in my Helix/Shure wireless into one of these.  They are great, and can last you 6 hours easily.  Highly recommended.

image.thumb.png.b8cd4d30c6c320183b2aee404c5a7122.png

thanks all for your answers!!! I noticed that tihs shut down occurs when using foot switches to access single effects in a user created RIG.

Today I rised a ticket and first suggestion was to reinstall firmware and a factory reset.....Let's see what happens I'll keep informed!

On 6/22/2021 at 5:29 PM, Maxy71 said:

thanks all for your answers!!! I noticed that tihs shut down occurs when using foot switches to access single effects in a user created RIG.

Today I rised a ticket and first suggestion was to reinstall firmware and a factory reset.....Let's see what happens I'll keep informed!

I was just going to say. If you did the 3.11 update and did not do a factory reset and backup restore that is definitely the first place to start. I would even go so far as to update the firmware again(and again do the factory reset and restore) before I assumed it was hardware related. You have to eliminate the firmware as a possible cause before assuming you have a hardware issue.  When your update/reset is completed check the 'Help' --> 'About HX Edit' dialog box in HX Edit and make sure your firmware and editor version are both 3.11.

TechSupport suggested to do at first a factory reset and then to reinstall firmware 3.11. I've done this and everything seemed to be fine until I was trying to switch among factory presets. Both in presets mode and stomp modes, using foot switches to activate or deacatived single effects in factory presets. Consider that I've not done a restore at the moment, so my Helix is empty. No user presets, no IR, nothing! Only factory resets.  
However, today I tried to create a user preset, just adding some blocks via Helix Edit (version 3.11)... Suddenly the same issue. Helix unit has switched off and reboot many times!!  It's really random..... The only recurring condition I noticed is that this happens when dealing with user's presets......... But I cannot sware this is not just a coincidence!!    So I rised another ticket and they answered this could be an hardware problem, so I went to reseller and now they will send it to assistance center.... Let's see.... I'm not confident at all because it's really hard to recerate the conditions.... and even if they let the unit running for 2 days.... the issue could not occur..

6 hours ago, Maxy71 said:

TechSupport suggested to do at first a factory reset and then to reinstall firmware 3.11. I've done this and everything seemed to be fine until I was trying to switch among factory presets. Both in presets mode and stomp modes, using foot switches to activate or deacatived single effects in factory presets. Consider that I've not done a restore at the moment, so my Helix is empty. No user presets, no IR, nothing! Only factory resets.  
However, today I tried to create a user preset, just adding some blocks via Helix Edit (version 3.11)... Suddenly the same issue. Helix unit has switched off and reboot many times!!  It's really random..... The only recurring condition I noticed is that this happens when dealing with user's presets......... But I cannot sware this is not just a coincidence!!    So I rised another ticket and they answered this could be an hardware problem, so I went to reseller and now they will send it to assistance center.... Let's see.... I'm not confident at all because it's really hard to recerate the conditions.... and even if they let the unit running for 2 days.... the issue could not occur..

I noticed you said you did a factory reset and then reinstalled the 3.11 firmware. You also need to follow a firmware update with a factory reset and restore. Otherwise, weird bad stuff can ensue. Looks like you already took this in for repair but you may or may not have needed to depending on whether you did the reset/restore after the firmware upgrade. 

I think the next step in the ongoing evolution of the Line6 update process should include an automated factory reset and restore. Don't know if is possible for them to do an automated factory reset via the update process(rather than the user initiating it by holding down switches and powering up) but if it is, this would cut down dramatically on users reporting issues. Remarkable to me how many people neglect to do these steps after a firmware upgrade.

• Upvote 1

Dear Guru, 

I upgraded firmware to 3.11 myself a few weeks ago, without any factory reset.

Then when I faced the issue 1 week ago, I rised a ticket to tech support and they suggested

1) backup

2) reinstall firmware 3.11

2) factory reset (foot switch 9-10 hold down on boot)

I've done all of this and the issue is still occurring. 
I've read that someone suggests to reinstall and reinstall firmware 3.11 .... but in my opinion this is a nonsense. When you install a firmware on a machine...it must work!
At the end of the day we are speaking about a computer... and if we need to keep on reinstalling firmware to solve an issue.... This is a nonsnese!  This would mean that the firmware is a disaster!?... and that when we will make the next update....our Helix unit could transform into a nigthmare! 

If this happens... I believe that we should receive an alert from Line6 on Homepage that there are relevant bugs in the firmware 3.11!

But I believe this is not a software issue

Sorry to sound like a broken record, but hard reboots, with a shut down in the middle, are typically referred to hardware problems (you are not reporting a software crash, just a random shutdown/reboot, so I do agree the firmware reinstall doesnt make much sense), and the more you use it, the more the risk to damage more parts, if the issue is related to current leaks, shortages, supply problems or even just a defective controller, etc etc etc...It can be LOT of things, but I doubt it's just software level. Of course the support guys from l6, have to try the standard procedures, like firmware reinstall etc, before to proceed with other steps.

Helix are just fine products, but as any other electronic/digital device, they can face issues. Good news is they can be repaired, or better, replaced. Send it for repair. GL!

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

17 hours ago, PierM said:

Sorry to sound like a broken record, but hard reboots, with a shut down in the middle, are typically referred to hardware problems (you are not reporting a software crash, just a random shutdown/reboot, so I do agree the firmware reinstall doesnt make much sense), and the more you use it, the more the risk to damage more parts, if the issue is related to current leaks, shortages, supply problems or even just a defective controller, etc etc etc...It can be LOT of things, but I doubt it's just software level. Of course the support guys from l6, have to try the standard procedures, like firmware reinstall etc, before to proceed with other steps.

Helix are just fine products, but as any other electronic/digital device, they can face issues. Good news is they can be repaired, or better, replaced. Send it for repair. GL!

Exactly, start with firmware/software, eliminate that as a possible cause then move on to hardware. Have to say though, I can't begin to count(a lot) how many users I have heard proclaim with 100% assurance and finality that they suspect or definitely have a  hardware issue only to find out it is related to the update process not being executed properly or some other non-hardware related issue. In this case I agree though, looks like @Maxy71 did what he needed to do on the firmware/software side and this is quite possibly a hardware problem. Just pays to eliminate the stuff you can do yourself first that may save you a return/repair and downtime on your device. It would be interesting to know what percentage of devices returned for repair or even refund, are simply victims of a failed update.  Grateful to everyone on this forum who shares their knowledge and experience. What a great resource!  Oh, and thanks for the entertainment during the quarantine!

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1