Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Spillover vs Snapshots

WytchCrypt13

Hi all,

Just got my Helix Floor last week and am at a point to begin putting my own patches together.  One of the main reasons I chose the Helix - besides having a PodXTLive as my main processor the past 16 years and loving it - was the snapshot delay/reverb trail feature.  After my Helix arrived I learned that spillover is another option for getting delay/reverb to blur between sounds - of course in that case it's between patches and you give up your 2nd DSP path.  I've read past posts on this forum back when OS 3.0 was released that there were some issues with spillover causing lockups/crashes or other problems.

So...my question at this point is:

Spillover or Snapshots?

Besides the obvious differences explained in the manual, is there some type of consensus among Helix players about which option gives the highest quality transition between patches/snapshots?  Personally, I'm leaning to snapshots as it fits the way I work but am curious if there's a compelling reason to go with spillover instead.

Thanks!

38 minutes ago, WytchCrypt13 said:

…..Personally, I'm leaning to snapshots as it fits the way I work but am curious if there's a compelling reason to go with spillover instead.

No compelling reason that I’m aware of. Snapshots fits your workflow better, and you don’t have to give up half your DSP. Stick with your snapshots.

If you enable spillover, you reduce your presets to 1/2 what they used to be. 

In my experience, one preset allows you a TON of blocks and is more than enough to play a complete show, while using different snapshots, for your "average" gig.  If you use the preset-per-song approach, then I guarantee you, you won't ever need more than one preset for each song you play, unless you do some insane routing/processing a la "in living colour".  

My band has a lot of special effects and I get by just fine by using presets with snapshots.  

3 hours ago, WytchCrypt13 said:

...but am curious if there's a compelling reason to go with spillover instead.

Gap-less switching is gap-less switching, and you'll get that either way. There are only two real considerations, imho:

1) How busy your patches end up being, and whether or not you genuinely need that second path, and

2) If you need/want a unique patch for every song, or if you're content with just a handful of core tones. For the latter, snapshots should provide more than enough versatility for whatever mid-song changes you'll need to make.

In other words, whatever twirls your beanie...

• 1 month later...
48 minutes ago, jwoertz said:

One benefit to spillover is that you can assign TEN "spillover patches" using Command Center whereas with snapshots you only have eight. Then you could still use the manual button for ten stomps AND still have tap tempo/tuner!

Excellent points.  I've been using a snapshot patch I put together and refined over the past few weeks and have 8 snapshots that cover "most" of what I want to do.  None of them use the 2nd DSP chain so going to back to spillover mode and gaining 2 extra patches on the active board plus the other advantages you mentioned seems a smart choice :-)

3 hours ago, WytchCrypt13 said:

Excellent points.  I've been using a snapshot patch I put together and refined over the past few weeks and have 8 snapshots that cover "most" of what I want to do.  None of them use the 2nd DSP chain so going to back to spillover mode and gaining 2 extra patches on the active board plus the other advantages you mentioned seems a smart choice :-)

I have to correct myself. You cannot have ten spillover patches AND ten stomps, since when assigning in Command Center, the ten spillover presets are already set in stomp mode (as the stomps).