Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix or Helix LT?

chaz2021

Hey Fellow Members - 

I am having a very hard time deciding which version of the Helix is best suited for me. It's not a question of which manufacturer because I've already decided, via past experiences, that Line 6 is the best company for me. Truth is, I do not play in a band, nor play live and don't have any ambition to do so. I enjoy sitting in my music room, jamming on the guitar and recording stuff using Reaper. So, the complex routing would not benefit me at all, and truth be told the scribble scripts aren't a big deal to me. At first, I thought about the POD Go, but the block limitation and inability to use dual amps/cabs kind of made me turn away (maybe re-amping would solve that?). I also thought about the Helix rack, but then I'd have to purchase some sort of expression pedal I suppose. 

Would the Helix LT suffice or the Helix? Thanks so much for any opinions and for sharing your personal experiences!

Chaz

It really comes down to how involved do you get in your recording?  I have a Helix floor dedicated to my studio and a separate Helix floor for live performance.  I could have gone with just a Helix LT for the studio but the biggest factor for me was the floor unit had more connections including a Mic input.  This allowed me to use the Helix as the core input and audio input for my recording efforts and greatly simplified my work flow.

My studio Helix floor is always plugged into my PC with the DAW and my studio monitors are directly connected to the Helix.  I also have my electric guitar, acoustic guitar, bass, electronic keyboard, mic and headphones all simultaneously plugged into that Helix unit so I have a very easy and quick recording workflow.  I have a dedicated preset for each instrument so recording is a simple process of arming the track in the DAW, selecting the appropriate preset for what I'll be recording, and press record.  Because the floor has a separate volume control for my headphones it's very easy to monitor and manage the level of playback of the previously recorded tracks while recording a new track.  The ability to do that was what ultimately convinced me to go with the floor rather than the LT.

Just don't get something less than you need or expect to need in the near to mid term. I have the Helix and have never regretted getting a model with all the bells and whistles. The Rack is appealing too. If cost is not the determining factor, you love scribble strips, a heftier and slightly larger build, headphones level knob, and you think the additional I/O options might come in handy get the Helix. If you don't need the options unique to the Helix Floor/Rack, get the LT, it is less expensive. Can't go wrong with either IMHO and they both have the same processing power.

• Like 1

It's personal requirements and personal tastes... it's great to have the options. Know the differences in the products, figure out your "needs", then buy the appropriate model. 

24 minutes ago, caledoneus said:

I've got the LT, and have no problem with it.  I don't care about the scribble scripts, honestly, I kind of like the virtual "scribble scripts" on the LT better than the ones on the full Floor.  

My sentiment exactly. I really like performance view on the LT. I owned an HX Effects for a few months prior to upgrading so I do have experience with the scribble strips... IMO, I don't miss them one bit. 

When I bought my Helix Floor I suspected I overshot in those first few months.  I thought there was no way I would ever use a quarter of its potential  but now I don't think that any longer.  The search for tone has lead me down paths I never knew existed.  I never would have known they existed had it not been for the Helix.  Now, I routinely do things just out of habit I never even thought of before owning a Helix.  The truth is you don't know how much you don't know so right now you have no idea what you will discover that becomes indispensable to you.

Or?  Play it safe and limit unanticipated opportunities that might wow you and change you forever.

It's one way to look at it.

My two cents.

On 6/30/2021 at 8:17 AM, codamedia said:

It's personal requirements and personal tastes... it's great to have the options. Know the differences in the products, figure out your "needs", then buy the appropriate model. 

My sentiment exactly. I really like performance view on the LT. I owned an HX Effects for a few months prior to upgrading so I do have experience with the scribble strips... IMO, I don't miss them one bit. 

agreed. I had the HX Effects first as well so can speak to how scribble scripts work...  performance view on LT is better IMO as well. 

• Like 1

When I had to decide between the Floor and the LT, I checked the differences and noted these things:

• I needed (at least in studio) to be able to combine the Helix with as many as other devices (pedals, amps) as possible - so the more FX loops the better;
  • I wanted the clearest output possible because I can easily forget what button is mapped to what, in particular in live, because I dont'live often;
  • I wanted to be able to use a mic and to use some other connectics, because I couldnt afford more hardware for some time and needed it to be the most versatile;
  • I wanted to use some combination with synths

so I went with the Helix Floor.

If it was only for doing normal/classic live shows, I think I  would have gone with the  LT, because of the weight.

• Upvote 1

On topic with the OP's needs and question... I think I should point out that although I carefully chose to buy an LT... it is because in my project studio I run a separate interface and mixer which handles the majority of all I/O. If I used the Helix for everything, I would have bought the floor model. My LT is primarily for live use, although of course I also use its sounds in the studio.