Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Variax not working! Help please

I bought a Variax 600 and a POD HD500 recently, with the Variax cable. Plugged it all in when I got it and the Variax didn’t work. Returned and bought a jtv. When I got it, the same thing, electronics wouldn’t work. Mags work fine though. My question is, if I take the battery out of the guitar and plug it into a POD HD500 via the Variax port, that should power the guitar without it having a battery, correct? So my problem most likely lies with the POD?

8 hours ago, keithlandry09 said:

if I take the battery out of the guitar and plug it into a POD HD500 via the Variax port, that should power the guitar without it having a battery, correct?

Correct!.. no battery needed when using the VDI connection

8 hours ago, keithlandry09 said:

So my problem most likely lies with the POD?

probably.. but your issue could be due also to the Variax cable.. maybe it is faulty or you didn't insert it correctly all the way..

just for checking purposes (normally you should use a properly made Variax cable), if you have an ethernet cable around (ie exactly the same you would use to connect a computer directly to a router) and you know that is working fine, use it to connect the Variax to the POD.. it should work, if it doesn't it means that the VDI port of the POD (or of the Variax) is damaged..

sometimes it may happen that you accidentally insert a jack into the wrong hole like the VDI port and damage the delicate pins that are inside it

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

All about POD HD500/X

help and useful tips

Thank you for the response! The VDI cable is brand new, so it shouldn’t be the problem. I returned the hd500 and bought the 500x, should be here Monday. So hopefully that solves my problem.

update- I think I’m an idiot. I don’t remember pushing the model knob in, so it may have been operator error lol.

5 hours ago, keithlandry09 said:

Thank you for the response! The VDI cable is brand new, so it shouldn’t be the problem. I returned the hd500 and bought the 500x, should be here Monday. So hopefully that solves my problem.

update- I think I’m an idiot. I don’t remember pushing the model knob in, so it may have been operator error lol.

Man, I think you forget to select the "Variax" Input on your Hd500

Page  3 on your Pod HD screen:

Inputs  1 select Variax 

Inputs  2 select Variax if you use the dual channel