Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Powercab 112 Hardware update

circa33

I've asked multiple tlmes over on TGP (where the knowledgeable L6 reps hang out) for at least a hint if a FW update, at least for bug fixes on the 212, is even in the works.

Dead silence.

I asked a support tech during a call about another issue, and he said that he THINKS it MIGHT be in queue, possibly someplace (I inferred) lower in priority than the coffee-maker feature for the Helix.

I'm not holding my breath.

Could be that the recent big discounts on the PC line indicate an attempt to clear inventories for a new HW version?

Based on the attention being paid my $1400 ($1959.99 MSRP) PC212+, I probably won't buy another L6 "dream rig" amp solution (says the G.A.S.aholic ;-) ).

I don't mean to be totally negative about the unit, it sounds REALLY good. But considering the GREAT support that the Helix (happy owner since 2016, HXS since 2019) gets, I'm disappointed. It has such great potential. 

FWIW - the bugs I referred to on the 212 reportedly aren't present on the 112, so there's that.

The Powercabs have 5 operating modes:

FLAT includes -

FRFR - HF and LF drivers ON, LF driver EQ'd to be FLAT

LF Flat - HF driver OFF, LF driver EQ'd to be FLAT

LF RAW - HF driver OFF, LF driver with NO EQ applied

SPEAKER - HF driver OFF, LF driver EQ'd to sound like various speakers

USER IR - same as FRFR, but the PC+ internal IRs are engaged

On the PC212+, the HF driver doesn't always disengage in LF Flat, LF RAW and SPEAKER modes.

Regardless of the mode chosen on the Helix, the PC+ presets remain engaged. If the PC+ preset uses a mode different than the per preset setting specified on Helix, there's a conflict. TBH, I got tired of trying to figure out what was going on, as it seemed at times to be random. I use LF Stereo Flat when I use the Helix cabs, and a PC+ preset set to LF Flat when I use SPEAKER mode. L6 is aware of the problem, as I am not the only user who has reported it.

The other bug has to do with L6 Link control when using two PC212+ cabs. I forget the details off hand, as it doesn't affect use with a single PC212+.

If you ordered a PC112+, no worries. AFAIK, these bugs only affect the PC212+.

The PC212+ is what I ordered! :) To be used without any other powercabs. Like you mentioned I did not run into the Hf driver not turning off in LF Flat when I did have a 112+ that could be a bit of an annoyance on the 212+.

Here's two ways to work around the problem.

1 - Leave the PC212+ on it's preset 000 "Flat Stereo" when you're using FLAT FRFR or USER IR.

Rotate the SELECT Knob on the PC one click counter clockwise. You're now on PC Preset 127.

In PC Edit, change the VOICING to LF Flat. Rename the Preset to LF FLAT. Don't forget to SAVE!

When you're using SPEAKER, LF Flat or LF RAW, just switch to that preset by rotating the SELECT Knob one click counter clockwise.

When you're using Helix Cabs (FLAT FRFR) just rotate it one click clockwise to return to preset 000.

You're basically turning the HF driver ON/OFF as necessary for the mode you're in.

2 - Connect a MIDI cable. Use an Instant Command to select CC#5 with a Value of 113 (ON, 0db) for FLAT FRFR or USER IR.

Use a Value of 0 (OFF) for SPEAKER, LF Flat or LF RAW.

Method 1 requires you to manually select the PC Preset.

Method 2 turns the HF driver ON/OFF when you load the Helix Preset, but you need to set the Instant Command in each Helix Preset.

Yes, it's annoying, but until L6 gets off their butts and fixes the bug, these are the only ways I know of to work around the bug.

If you start building your Helix presets from a template, you can bake the settings in and just do it once.

Just name your templates something like "Trim ON" and "Trim OFF".

sorry if stupid question.  I have the 112+ and then got a 212+ and use them both.  either stacked or leaned back.  I use the helix 1x15 ampeg cab for EVERYTHING.... always have, even when I had the dt25 ... and when going straight to FOH.   when playing out, I use go from the helix to FOH and digital to the 212+ then digital from the 212+ to the 112+.  The PC in helix is set to global, lf raw.  Both PC's are on preset 000? (flat).

Does this mean the HF driver is on in the 212 but not in the 112?  How can I tell if the HF driver is on?  is there that big of a difference in the sound .... if you are using the helix cab?

Thanks... just trying to better understand if/how this affects me.

41 minutes ago, PaulTBaker said:

sorry if stupid question.  I have the 112+ and then got a 212+ and use them both.  either stacked or leaned back.  I use the helix 1x15 ampeg cab for EVERYTHING.... always have, even when I had the dt25 ... and when going straight to FOH.   when playing out, I use go from the helix to FOH and digital to the 212+ then digital from the 212+ to the 112+.  The PC in helix is set to global, lf raw.  Both PC's are on preset 000? (flat).

Does this mean the HF driver is on in the 212 but not in the 112?  How can I tell if the HF driver is on?  is there that big of a difference in the sound .... if you are using the helix cab?

Thanks... just trying to better understand if/how this affects me.

Above, I described how to turn the HF Driver ON/OFF using MIDI.

Connect a MIDI cable to the 212, and another from the 212 OUT to the 112.

Be sure that MIDI THRU is enabled on the 212.

Using a high-gain preset (more obvious than a clean preset), play a chord with a lot of high frequency content, say, E major on the top four strings at the 12th fret.

Turn the Volume Knob on the 112 all the way down. Play the chord while switching the HF Driver ON/OFF and listening to the 212.

Can you hear a difference?

Repeat the process with the Volume OFF on the 212 and ON on the 112.

Can you hear a difference?

Now that you know what the difference sounds like, you'll be able to tell what's actually going on.

• Like 1

On 6/27/2021 at 10:53 AM, rd2rk said:

The other bug has to do with L6 Link control when using two PC212+ cabs. I forget the details off hand, as it doesn't affect use with a single PC212+.

If you ordered a PC112+, no worries. AFAIK, these bugs only affect the PC212+.

rd2rk Ahh I do remember seeing something similar happen to connecting 2 112+s with L6 Link control hopefully this gets sorted out too.

AND I missed that information in the post once I do get my 212+ will be using L6 cable but not to worried about not being able to tell if the HF driver is on or off.

In other news I do intend on using method 1 for a good bit of how I want to set up all presets and scenes probably a few other modes too but those 2 mentioned were my favorite "out of the box"

Also having the Powercab control within the helix is a great boon ....if they're properly assigning the correct power amp modes.