Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Selection knob doesn't always work

jklookk

I have a fairly new Pod Go and love it. But sometimes when I turn the upper selection knob (between View and Action) counter-clockwise, it doesn't change the selection (eg, between pedals or presents). When this happens I have to turn it so it clicks 2 - 3 times before it "takes" and goes to the next selection. Has anyone else had this issue with Go, Helix, HD or anything else? I'm concerned that this might continue to fail more over time. 

• Upvote 1

Hi, this is the same on all Pod Go's so it's not specific to your unit.  I think it's just a minor bug that's mildly annoying.  I've raised this previously with Line 6 support but I've just asked Line 6 support again to try & fix it in the next firmware upgrade. 

• Upvote 1

On 6/26/2021 at 10:12 PM, voxman55 said:

Hi, this is the same on all Pod Go's so it's not specific to your unit.  I think it's just a minor bug that's mildly annoying.  I've raised this previously with Line 6 support but I've just asked Line 6 support again to try & fix it in the next firmware upgrade. 

Was there ever any confirmation that this is a software and not a hardware issue?

37 minutes ago, grdGo33 said:

Was there ever any confirmation that this is a software and not a hardware issue?

No, but it's intermittent and if you go back on a stuck click it works. Feels like a software issue as the knob clicks firmly & correctly. 

3 hours ago, voxman55 said:

No, but it's intermittent and if you go back on a stuck click it works. Feels like a software issue as the knob clicks firmly & correctly. 

I really doubt it's software..  From what I recall you can wait 1 second between each knob turn and you'll still get the issue. 

it doesn't occur depending on speed; if you turned it super fast for 5 clicks and it moved 3-4 blocks because Go can't process that many clicks per second that could be something, but if you're waiting 1s for each click while the PGO is doing nothing and it bugs, it's more indication of hardware glitch.

Pretty sure it's similar mechanism to this:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHfiCqwdVYo

The other knobs which rotate but don't have clicks are kinda annoying also; as I find it quite hard to regulate the turning speed to get to what you're trying to get.  Ex; 0-100, you spin it slowly and it goes 1,2,3, then you spin fast, and it goes 1,2,22,33,78,100 ...   But you want 50..  So go back..  99, 98, 97 ... ok gotta go faster ...  90, 85, 84, 83, 82,6 3, 43, 23, 3, 0   grrrr!

Ok hopefully it's software and will be fixed lol   But honestly I'm 99% sure it's hardware.  Just the nature of the knob L6 has chosen.  Another argument for hardware; have you ever pushed a button on the Go (Page, footswitch, etc.) and had the software 'bug' and not do the action?  Plus there's basically 3 screens used by that rotary knob;

• switching patches
  • scrolling through your effects chain
  • scrolling through effects when editing a block

And all of these show the intermittent rotary knob issue; if it was just one screen when scrolling very fast and hitting DSP limit, ok, but yeah the odds are extremely low that there's a software bugs in all those screens which just happen to coincide with this particular knob...!

And the 2nd knob has the exact same issue, the one used for scrolling up/down in effects, etc.  So yeah, I'd say 99.9% certain it's hardware.  L6 should know, but the support tech likely doesn't have the answer on scrip, but for sure their QA must be well aware of the issue.  

Another proof it's hardware; again, just navigate left/right on your effects chain, that has zero impact on any setting and isn't altering anything, yet you'll still get a ~10% knob failure rate.  Now do the same with each footswitch, which actually impacts effects, modifies lights, also move the selected block in your chain, you'll get 0% failure rate.  99.99% certain it's hardware.  ;)

• Upvote 1

Hi guys, I've just heard back from Line 6 (their Lead Product Tester), and this IS a software glitch as I suspected

"Hey Rich, Yes this is a known issue we have logged and hope to have fixed for the next firmware update. I can't say for certain that it will be addressed, but it is logged and the team is aware of it."

3 hours ago, voxman55 said:

Hi guys, I've just heard back from Line 6 (their Lead Product Tester), and this IS a software glitch as I suspected

"Hey Rich, Yes this is a known issue we have logged and hope to have fixed for the next firmware update. I can't say for certain that it will be addressed, but it is logged and the team is aware of it."

Hahaha!  I'll believe it when they fix it!  :D

9 hours ago, grdGo33 said:

Hahaha!  I'll believe it when they fix it!  :D

To not believe it's software  and still stick to your belief it's physical when the Lead Product Tester for Line 6 has confirmed it's software ....

Pin on Nerdity

The question has been asked and answered - but if you think Line 6 are wrong, then I think you should definitely apply for a job with them so you can sort them out. :banana:rotflmao

Btw I've also flagged the smaller non click knobs issue. 

Cuuuuute!

15 hours ago, voxman55 said:

To not believe it's software  and still stick to your belief it's physical

image.png.098512011948bc78f319fb7b9d7a23e2.png

I said I'll believe it is software when it is fixed.  Until then, there are 2 possibilities, 1) it's software and 2) it's not software.  I don't know for sure which it is as the evidence points both ways. 

It's possible that the Lead Product Tester did not give you a correct answer...  In your quote, he said the issue was logged and that he hoped that it would be fixed, but he did not confirm that it was a software issue:

When QA finds an issue, unless they've done some particular tests to confirm it's hardware/software, which he did not mention, they'll often simply log it.  Not sure what L6 QA department is like; if they have experts who can confirm hw/sw using test rigs to test the knobs, check source code, etc., but "we've logged the issue, let me close this support ticket because I've got 10 other things to do and 20 other tickets to respond to" is often kinda the way it goes in tech.

So yeah, while I won't blame you for being certain that it is a software issue, I'm withholding judgment until it's fixed, which I'd be willing to bet it won't.  I mean, the issue is pretty darn blatant, anyone who's ever used the physical unit will notice and likely get frustrated with the issue, and it's been that way since day 1, and you can be certain that it was also that way when they tested the Go before it's release.  Yet, still not fixed...  Maybe they also don't want to admit there's a hardware fault with the Go, as that would be opening a can of worms.

Anyway, yeah, I really hope you are right and it's software which will get fixed, but until it is, I'm not ready to believe it's software just yet.  :) 

P.S.  How many firmware updates without a fix will it take for you to question your belief that the issue is software?  Since our last discussion on the issue, there were 2 firmware releases right?  You really think they weren't aware of the issue?  lol    ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi I just picked up my pod go a week or two ago and have been experiencing this problem. At first I thought it was only the rotary encoder between the left and right page buttons, but it’s definitely happening on both-The upper,  between view and action, and the lower, between the page functions. I’ve been 100% gentle, with both the knobs and buttons . I thought right away hardware, as that same behavior is exhibited on some of my older equipment such as my Digitech stereo looper, and my Crate limo. When they are glitching they exhibit a couple different behaviors, such as the crate because it Is an amplifier you can hear it glitch, and the looper, after many years of service also has a different feel,

“ less click”. 

I could definitely see this being software related also, I mean some areas actually gray out because there’s not enough processing power so Maybe it’s  little brain is being taxed. Haha 

either way it’s not acceptable to me and if it can’t be addressed and fixed quickly I would have to return,  that would be a shame as I have a lot of time invested customizing patches,  my home recordings sound noticeably better, and I was looking to incorporate this into Live pedalboard. It sure had  cut down on my need for all of these patch cable, pwr interconnects. 

F9FF5F93-DDDF-4891-92AD-F99943CF9F04.jpeg

13 hours ago, lawrencetovarjr said:

either way it’s not acceptable to me and if it can’t be addressed and fixed quickly I would have to return

But to be honest, you shouldn't be really using these these controls; they should be more of a last resort.  Meaning:  Everyone should just be using Pod Go Edit, as even if the buttons were working 100% correctly, it's still a PITA to setup anything with the button controls and built-in GUI. 

And honestly, not sure if I'm contradicting myself here (lol) but it's not really a big issue imho.  I have in my office/computer/guitar room 2 setups, a typical PC setup with desk and chair, and a 2nd 'work' station; where there's a keyboard, mouse, studio monitors and 4k screen ready to use standing up  (~4.5 feet high?  Elbow height) and around desk height just underneath the pod go.  So for editing patches; Edit is the way, but, if I'm just playing, there's no issue using the Go interface just to do some minor change; like increasing/decreasing patch volume, lowering treble, etc.  In that case, honestly, the knob bug isn't a big deal.

But fully editing patches ...  Errr... No thanks.  For the first month I wanted to learn the built-in controls and used it exclusively for a month.  And man, PGO Edit is just plain better.  I mean, scrolling through lists of 100 items, having to hit 'page' constantly, not being able to see all amp/effect settings at a time, anyway, just PITA.  Even with 100% working knobs, it would still be PITA.  Honestly, if you're not using PGO edit, use PG Edit!  That's probably how L6 intended people to use it also.

On 7/23/2021 at 12:59 PM, grdGo33 said:

But to be honest, you shouldn't be really using these these controls; they should be more of a last resort.  Meaning:  Everyone should just be using Pod Go Edit, as even if the buttons were working 100% correctly, it's still a PITA to setup anything with the button controls and built-in GUI. 

And honestly, not sure if I'm contradicting myself here (lol) but it's not really a big issue imho.  I have in my office/computer/guitar room 2 setups, a typical PC setup with desk and chair, and a 2nd 'work' station; where there's a keyboard, mouse, studio monitors and 4k screen ready to use standing up  (~4.5 feet high?  Elbow height) and around desk height just underneath the pod go.  So for editing patches; Edit is the way, but, if I'm just playing, there's no issue using the Go interface just to do some minor change; like increasing/decreasing patch volume, lowering treble, etc.  In that case, honestly, the knob bug isn't a big deal.

But fully editing patches ...  Errr... No thanks.  For the first month I wanted to learn the built-in controls and used it exclusively for a month.  And man, PGO Edit is just plain better.  I mean, scrolling through lists of 100 items, having to hit 'page' constantly, not being able to see all amp/effect settings at a time, anyway, just PITA.  Even with 100% working knobs, it would still be PITA.  Honestly, if you're not using PGO edit, use PG Edit!  That's probably how L6 intended people to use it also.

Yes, PG Edit is way better. But if you are at a gig or rehearsal, or somewhere with no computer, you have to use Pod Go directly.  It would have been cool if they had given it blue tooth capability and a phone app - but sadly, no.  

• 11 months later...