Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Tell me about this Helix thing

357mag

I currently have the POD X3 which I like mainly for the fantastic JCM800 in it. I have had a few HD Pro X units which I thought were quite bad since the Marshalls sounded dirty and muddy and what Line 6 did with other things in them like change EQ's to use percentages etc. I did not like those much at all.

Do the amp models in the Helix sounded better yet than what I have in the X3 and what did they do with the Equalizers? Do they still use percentages or are those back to normal? How do the Marshall amps sound in the Helix?

1 hour ago, 357mag said:

Do the amp models in the Helix sounded better yet than what I have in the X3 and what did they do with the Equalizers? Do they still use percentages or are those back to normal? How do the Marshall amps sound in the Helix?

1. Yes.

2. EQs are back to normal.

3.  Very good.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 357mag said:

I currently have the POD X3 which I like mainly for the fantastic JCM800 in it. I have had a few HD Pro X units which I thought were quite bad since the Marshalls sounded dirty and muddy and what Line 6 did with other things in them like change EQ's to use percentages etc. I did not like those much at all.

You are not alone.... I used to get great tones on my X3 and was really excited when I "upgraded" to an HD500 only to find myself in a continual struggle to get what I wanted. I found it very frustrating to dial in. 

1 hour ago, 357mag said:

As @silverhead says above, the Helix is back to normal in every regard, and sounds much, much better than any of the former units. It's also a lot more flexible and easier to use. 

I would go as far to say that in 40+ years as a gigging musician, the Helix has been the single best purchase I have ever made.