Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Do I really need a bass now?

wilkinsi

IMO, nothing beats the real instrument regardless of what it is... so yes, I'd say if you want "a real sounding bass"... you should get a bass. 

That said - I hide a lot of "fake instruments" in some of my mixes :)  It doesn't have to be a real sound to be a good sound. 

• Upvote 2

Guitar and bass do not sound the same, even when pitched to the same frequencies. 
Just compare the higher octave on a bass with the lowest notes on a guitar. Total different story. 
In addition, a bass plays and feels different which results in a different kind of playing. You may also sound like a guitar player playing a bass and not like a bass player.

If you want to just sketch down some ideas, it is totally feasible to just use the pitch shifting and you are fine. But for live business or recordings... please dont.

As codemedia mentioned, a lot of "fake" instruments are just in recordings. Mostly those are midi driven and pretty decent simulations/samples of the real deal. Plugins like https://www.toontrack.com/product/ezbass/ do a fairly decent job if you lack a bass player at the moment.

• Like 1

Whether you need a real bass is dependent upon what you're doing with it.  For example, if all you want to do is a create a demo version of a song you could likely be fine using a pitch shifted guitar.  It wouldn't sound real enough for a production recording or live performance and would be something listeners would notice in those situations.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, wilkinsi said:

Since Line 6 improved their pitch shifting by adding polyphonic shifters, I have been playing bass on my guitar. But is there something I'm missing in the tone of a real bass? Do I actually need a real bass?

EHX Bass9... thank me later. ;)

• Upvote 1

It can sound like a bass, but it doesn't feel like a bass.  It doesn't have the same response.  It's actually harder to mute the strings and get a consistent attack using guitar strings, than just playing a real full scale bass guitar with normal thick strings. 

I play guitar and bass.  I have a Fender VI-type of an instrument with thin strings that has the range of a bass.  I tried playing it, and it does sound like a bass, but just never feels right.  Long story short, just play bass!  But, if you are in some weird band where all of a sudden a guitarist needs to play bass on one song, when the bassist plays the piano or something -- this is perfect! 

I don't know how to explain it, but imagine you are playing a piccolo flute, and out comes the sound of a tuba.  It just doesn't translate the feeling as well. :) 

• Like 1

On 6/29/2021 at 10:22 AM, cruisinon2 said:

EHX Bass9... thank me later. ;)

Worth noting with effects like this, and you see a bit of this in the video, is that anything you can do to adapt your playing technique closer to one that might be used with the instrument you are trying to emulate will really help to improve the illusion. I have found the same principle applies when using a guitar synth to emulate instruments other than the bass. For example, playing a passage with a crisp fast attack when trying to emulate an instrument that is usually played with a more legato approach is inherently going to sound less convincing.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...