Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Running 2 amps at the same time

davehazel25

Apologies if this has been asked before, I did try and google something beforehand but couldn't find the answer I was after.

I have a HX Effects, and I'll be running my guitar (with Piezo) through it into a boogie JP2C (whenever that arrives)....but what I want to do is be able to use both outputs; one for the boogie and one for the an acoustic amp for the Piezo. But, I also want to be able to use both amps at the same time for some clean stuff, so is it possible to have both outputs going at the same time to 2 different amps?

Cheers

My advice is to not mix things hard L/R unless you have a sound person who knows how to mix you.  Otherwise you may wind up in a situation where the left side of the venue will hear only electric, and the right side will hear only acoustic.  There are all sorts of volume discrepancies if you have 2 independent amps.  One amp may be louder during a solo, than the other one.  My advice is to only add modulation effects in stereo.  Never pan 2 amps left/right, unless you have a sound person who knows what to expect. 

2 minutes ago, theElevators said:

My advice is to not mix things hard L/R unless you have a sound person who knows how to mix you.  Otherwise you may wind up in a situation where the left side of the venue will hear only electric, and the right side will hear only acoustic.  There are all sorts of volume discrepancies if you have 2 independent amps.  One amp may be louder during a solo, than the other one.  My advice is to only add modulation effects in stereo.  Never pan 2 amps left/right, unless you have a sound person who knows what to expect. 

Unless, as OP stated, he's using two different types of amps for two specific types of sounds, and would like to be able to use both at once for SPECIFIC sounds, at which point I assume he'd be using presets designed for that purpose, including his panning.

If he's dealing with going to FOH, it's the FOH engineer that's controlling the panning for the room sound, so yes, he should be told what to expect if he's too dumb to ask/figure it out on his own. Unfortunately, there are far too many FOH "engineers" who fit in that category!

Sorry... I should have probably have said. It won't be for live use at all, it'll be purely at home. 

So no need to think about foh engineers or anything like that. 

I just need to know how to route and program the hx into sending the signal out of both outputs at the same time. Panning doesn't matter as it's only at home. 

14 minutes ago, davehazel25 said:

Sorry... I should have probably have said. It won't be for live use at all, it'll be purely at home. 

So no need to think about foh engineers or anything like that. 

I just need to know how to route and program the hx into sending the signal out of both outputs at the same time. Panning doesn't matter as it's only at home. 

We're talking about two different uses of panning, panning for a room/audience experience, and panning to get a specific signal to a specific amp.

I assume that you'd be using a different signal chain for an ELECTRIC sound, vs the ACOUSTIC sounding Piezo.

So you pan one path to the Boogie side and the other path to the Acoustic amp side.

On a preset that combines the two sounds, you MIGHT want to set the panning to center, and use Level settings to even out the combined sounds.

Most likely, for combined sounds, you'll need to spend some time experimenting to see what works best.

Ah right I'm with you now.

I'm not sure yet. It'll be something along the lines of bit of chorus/delay on the electric side and reverb on the piezo side perhaps. 

I guess I need to have both amps in front of me to figure it out from a hx setting side of things. Sadly I'll be waiting a while for the boogie with the shortage right now. 

You may get a ground loop between the amps, it happened to me.  (Grounds may connect together at the HX)

An iso box from HX to amp will prevent that, should only need it to one of the amps. I purchased an ART DTI dual iso box and used it to both amps (why not).  I know it doesn't use Jensen transformers, etc and there are likely better ones out there, but i can't tell the difference.