Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Bye pod go

conradmarshall

If you aren't looking for a lot of different sounds and you don't mind stomping different pedals and turning knobs on them and your amp to go from one to the other, then yes, I'd say the Pod GO is not right for you. 

I believe I've heard a lot of people say it sounds almost as good as the real gear but haven't really heard the claim that it sounds better.  There are a lot of variables in the signal chain that affect sound quality so hard to make objective statements.

It most often comes down to what you’re listening to your modeler through and what your expectations are as far as what you should be hearing. Comparing an amp and pedals setup to a modeler setup is apples and oranges, but people still do it.

On 7/2/2021 at 10:19 AM, conradmarshall said:

it sounds almost as good as the real gear but haven't really heard the claim that it sounds better. 

There are some comparisons of amps on yt and they are very close (not exactly the same as even two amps of the same model don't sound exactly the same because of differences in tubes, manufacturing, components, etc.) but people rarely can identify the real amp from L6 in blind comparisons so they definitely can sound (do) sound like real amps.

Issue with Go though is that with its amp + cab + mic design, it's more designed to sound like recorded guitar than simulate a full guitar rig in the room.  Guess if you have a cab, you can disable cab/mic and go straight through the amp, and in theory should sound 'perfect', not sure in actuality though.... 

But through studio monitors, there is no way to tell the Go to sound just like just a real amp and cab.  So you're always getting recorded sound, which would be kinda weird if you're used to hear the sound of a real amp+cab in a room...   Maybe that's what the OP was referring to.

Pod Go is simply a tool that can be used in a number of flexible ways. Set up wise it can go through the front end of an amp, an fx return, 4 cable method, through an FRFR powered cab, or direct into the FOH PA. Or for recording it can integrate with your DAW.  Plus it can be used with headphones. 

I'm fortunate to have a few options with some pretty good guitars, several MFX Inc Pod Go and Vox Tonelab SE/LE/ST, a conventional pedal board, and 5 amps. Each has its charms, advantages and limitations, but I like them all for different uses. Nowadays, I simply can't schlapp big heavy amps, so I gig now with an MFX straight through the PA. 

Whatever works for you, sounds good and meets your needs is the right set up for you.  

• 1 month later...

Right.  It's a combination of the workflows that you like and don't like, and the learning curves you can adjust to, and the actual capabilities.    

It is sad to me if someone gives up on the pod go before learning how to use it fully, because "plug it in and surf presets" is not a good way to figure out what it can do.

If I had a Youtube Channel I think I'd do some tutorials, but I can't be arsed, to be honest,  the video would go something like: Learn to build from scratch,  read the whole manual,   learn about the global settings FIRST not after 2 years.      Learn to tear down and rebuild your signal chains.  Learn to work with your amp without pedals, and learn the quirks of your amp or FRFR as well as the quirks of the pod go.    

There's something to be said for simplicity. For some guitarists, any modeller/multifx is going to be the wrong thing. You can see this clearly all over the guitar world. There are multi-effects players, and non-multi effects players, and many of the people who would hate the PodGo or any multi-stomp would have a lot in common.   

You can spend 10K on a pedal board including a GigRig effect loop switcher, midi foot pedals, and still not have capabilities that you can get in a Helix Floor.  I think it's interesting that some people are more into an all in one "workstation"  as the core, and many want to mix and match a dozen or more discrete boxes to build their floor boards.

19 hours ago, wpostma said:

If I had a Youtube Channel I think I'd do some tutorials, but I can't be arsed, to be honest,  the video would go something like: Learn to build from scratch,  read the whole manual,   learn about the global settings FIRST not after 2 years.      Learn to tear down and rebuild your signal chains.  Learn to work with your amp without pedals, and learn the quirks of your amp or FRFR as well as the quirks of the pod go.   

There's already a bunch of them though, maybe not going about every global setting, but yeah for general usage, building your own patches, tips about effects and stuff, there's really a LOT of stuff out there.  You can spend days watching them all!

I think it's interesting that some people are more into an all in one "workstation"  as the core, and many want to mix and match a dozen or more discrete boxes to build their floor boards.

Some people still prefer turntables and vinyl records than modern flacs and digital devices!    LOL     I mean, sure, if you own a studio, have millions because you're a music star, etc., sure, spend the dough on amps and pedals.  But for everybody else...  Yeah, there's much more modern and practical solutions.  But like you said, different strokes.  But yeah at this point, to me, seems an absolutely no brainer at this point.  When most people can't tell apart real amps vs Go, and you get such crazy value over something like PGO, seems absolutely crazy to buy super expensive tube amps and ridiculously expensive pedals...  Like $500 for a reverb, distortion, etc. pedal?  Like dude... Come on...   Sure, not the same as the dozens in Go, but sound quality wise and price......

• 1 month later...

The longer I use my PodGo the more I love it.  And now with firmware 1.30 adding ability to name my snapshots, and 1.30 and the last others adding more and more effects (I love glitch delay so much) and amps,  this thing is just stunning.

Would I also probably enjoy a Helix LT?  Yes, but the PodGo was half the price and does all that I need.  It is so great.