Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Buying Helix 2020 question

hernan93

I'm having like a USD discount for the floor in a HELIX Floor or LT dated as a 2020 units. 

Is the Helix hardware the same between 2020 and 2021 or something may have changed in the construction of the unit? Should I take the deal or pay the extra for a 2021 unit?

Thank you in advance.

Hernan.

48 minutes ago, rd2rk said:

HW hasn't changed. FW updated. Take the deal.

Thank you Rd2rk.

Having in mind that I do no care to much for the extra outputs and the preamp mic of the Floor, but I really like the solid construction, at least it seems "better" or like "more tank" than the LT to me. Would you recommend me to pay the extra $500 for the floor or the LT would be fine. Any advice/suggestion would be appreciated. 

22 minutes ago, hernan93 said:

Thank you Rd2rk.

Having in mind that I do no care to much for the extra outputs and the preamp mic of the Floor, but I really like the solid construction, at least it seems "better" or like "more tank" than the LT to me. Would you recommend me to pay the extra $500 for the floor or the LT would be fine. Any advice/suggestion would be appreciated. 

If it spends most of it's time sitting on the living room floor, get the LT.

If money is not a serious issue, get the the Floor and you won't regret not having the extras down the road.

Although I rarely play out, I have the Floor because I like the Scribble Strips and the sturdier construction.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, hernan93 said:

Thank you Rd2rk.

IMO.... Don't let the LT scare you.... yes the floor is more rugged, but the LT is not a toy. 

I've used the LT since late 2018 and it has not shown a hint of problems. YES, gigs have been lite due to the pandemic, but I have got close to 150 dates on the LT thus far. 

I'm not trying to disagree with @rd2rk... he has valid points.  There is no question the floor is more robust/rugged/tank like - but as an LT user I can say with all honestly, it is not flimsy in any way - it's just not a TANK! As for the scribble strips... it's a matter of preferences, and only YOU can decide. I actually prefer the performance view that is included (only) on the LT. It's a visual outlay on the screen showing the FS assignments. I'm not saying it's better than the scribble strips.... I'm just saying I like it more :) 

2 hours ago, hernan93 said:

Thank you both.

What about wait 6 moths or a year waiting for a "new" Helix??

If you can wait that long, you don't need one. ;-)

Consider that L6 just completed a total re-write of the architectural underpinnings to make it easier to update across all of the products in the line.

They wouldn't have gone to all that work and expense if the platform was nearing EOL.

There's no guarantee that they won't come out with improved HW, but you're not sure you even need the features it already has, and the software is likely going to be the same for at least a couple of years. Except for the regular free updates of course, which just keep making it better.

"Forget about tomorrow, LIVE FOR TODAY!"

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, hernan93 said:

What about wait 6 moths or a year waiting for a "new" Helix??

Really?

You said there is a discount deal to be had on a Helix Floor, or a LT unit - those deals usually don’t last long before other people grab a bargain.

You could have a “new” Helix now!

Or, you could waste your life waiting and wondering if a new model will appear out of the blue.

I have had my Helix Floor since 2016 and every time that Line 6 updates the Firmware it’s like having a “new” toy.

Hope this helps/makes sense.

16 hours ago, rd2rk said:

If you can wait that long, you don't need one. ;-)

Consider that L6 just completed a total re-write of the architectural underpinnings to make it easier to update across all of the products in the line.

They wouldn't have gone to all that work and expense if the platform was nearing EOL.

There's no guarantee that they won't come out with improved HW, but you're not sure you even need the features it already has, and the software is likely going to be the same for at least a couple of years. Except for the regular free updates of course, which just keep making it better.

"Forget about tomorrow, LIVE FOR TODAY!"

you know what??? you are God dam right!!!
Thank you for your reply. 

13 hours ago, datacommando said:

Really?

You said there is a discount deal to be had on a Helix Floor, or a LT unit - those deals usually don’t last long before other people grab a bargain.

You could have a “new” Helix now!

Or, you could waste your life waiting and wondering if a new model will appear out of the blue.

I have had my Helix Floor since 2016 and every time that Line 6 updates the Firmware it’s like having a “new” toy.

Hope this helps/makes sense.

Absolutely true!! Thank you...

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, codamedia said:

IMO.... Don't let the LT scare you.... yes the floor is more rugged, but the LT is not a toy. 

I've used the LT since late 2018 and it has not shown a hint of problems. YES, gigs have been lite due to the pandemic, but I have got close to 150 dates on the LT thus far. 

I'm not trying to disagree with @rd2rk... he has valid points.  There is no question the floor is more robust/rugged/tank like - but as an LT user I can say with all honestly, it is not flimsy in any way - it's just not a TANK! As for the scribble strips... it's a matter of preferences, and only YOU can decide. I actually prefer the performance view that is included (only) on the LT. It's a visual outlay on the screen showing the FS assignments. I'm not saying it's better than the scribble strips.... I'm just saying I like it more :) 

What do you think about the LT + Mission EP1 L6 versus Floor?

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/EP1L6Bk--mission-engineering-inc-ep1-l6-expression-pedal-for-line-6-product-black-finish

14 minutes ago, hernan93 said:

you know what??? you are God dam right!!!
Thank you for your reply. 

He usually is. There are a few chaps like that on the forum and they are most helpful. Gotten me out of a few jams where support was either taking too long or did not have a clue. (Don’t get me wrong. Customer support at L6 is really good for sure, it is just that some forum members here know their sh**). That alone should be worth the price of admission. I say go for it. 

50 minutes ago, Wondo100 said:

He usually is. There are a few chaps like that on the forum and they are most helpful. Gotten me out of a few jams where support was either taking too long or did not have a clue. (Don’t get me wrong. Customer support at L6 is really good for sure, it is just that some forum members here know their sh**). That alone should be worth the price of admission. I say go for it. 

Aw, shucks! :-)

1 hour ago, hernan93 said:

Never had a need for a second exp pedal. I use the built in pedal for WAH and to control the output volume of my PC212+.

I've HEARD that the Mission pedals are extremely well made.

Well, the jury is still out for me with using just the onboard expression pedal. I do volume swells and some of the things I do are quick and the pedal needs to be tracking well. The onboard expression pedal tends to drift on heel down. For example, you may start out with full heel being at 0 but then over a short time, full heel will drift up to like 3% and sometimes more. You can adjust the torque on the pedal with the adjustable screw till your hearts content, but it will still drift. I think for uses like adjusting internal parameters and even wah, the onboard is good, but for intricate volume swells, I have not decided if I will get a Mission EP1 or just use my old volume pedal before the Helix. I wanted just the Helix to do this, but so far not 100% accuracy.