Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix won't connect to MAC

SWest3

Hi all!

I recently purchased the Helix Floor and cannot get it to communicate with my 2020 MacBook Pro that is running Big Sur 11.4.

I made my line6 account, registered my Helix, confirmed my email...all that stuff.

I've downloaded and installed the driver, license manager, updater and HX Edit.

When i first plugged in my helix to the USB via a hub to my thunderbolt 3 port and installed software, i had to press 'allow' in System Preferences > Security & Privacy. It then instructed me to restart my comp, and after doing that it doesn't detect my Helix AT ALL on any software. PLEASE HELP!

I contacted support and have looked into unblocking the driver with this link: http://line6.com/support/page/kb/_/recording/computer-audio-set-up-and-troubleshooting/macos-high-sierra-1013-driver-installation-change-r879

I have ensured via 'Disabled Software' that the driver isn't disabled by the system.

I have also opened a ticket with support but haven't heard back for a handful of days so thought i'd try my luck here. Hopefully will hear back from them soon!

I can't update it or anything and can't find a similar issue in the forums. Am i missing a download or something?

The only anomaly I can find is the serial number for my Mac in 'About this mac' is different to the one in the License Manager. I cannot find a way to change this and it fills it automatically.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

The one thing is you don’t need the driver. The driver is optional for Macs, and its only purpose is to open up different sampling rates for recording with a DAW. The Helix is otherwise a class compliant Core Audio device, so the Mac should recognize without any other driver installed. I’m not sure if the downloadable Mac driver works with Big Sur yet. So that might be causing some issues.

7 hours ago, SWest3 said:

When i first plugged in my helix to the USB via a hub to my thunderbolt 3 port and installed software,

Hi,

Lots of people are using Helix family hardware and Mac Big Sur OS 11.0 without issue. Have you tried to connect the Helix to your MBP directly, without anything else in line? There are many posts in here about not using a hub to connect. Also check that the Helix shows up in the Audio MIDI setup.

In the post above "phil_m" has pointed out that a driver is not really required to use your Helix with the Mac. Essentially you use a USB 2 cable to connect your Helix to the MBP - it's plug and play. If your Helix shows up in the Audio MIDI app then you should be able to connect to the hardware using HX Edit, and when it does it should inform you that there is new firmware available to update your unit. Simply follow the on screen instructions to make a back up and then let it get on with the update. When completed, and the hardware has gone through the rebuilding presets routine, you should restore from the backup file and then restart the Helix by holding down Footswitches 9 & 10 (bottom row, 2 middle switches), while powering up the Helix Floor. While updating do not allow your Mac to go to sleep, or have any other applications running that may interfere with the update.

Hope this helps/makes sense.

31 minutes ago, datacommando said:

Have you tried to connect the Helix to your MBP directly, without anything else in line?

Hi, thanks heaps for the replies mates. 

I've tried using a USB-C to USB adapter, not the hub. It still won't communicate at all.

It won't show up in the Audio/Midi in Logic Pro either. 

It's brand new, out of the box less than a week ago so i doubt its a hardware issue like the USB port on the Helix...but i'm quickly running out of ideas. 

I've also tried uninstalling everything and trying again without the driver and the issue remains.

1 hour ago, SWest3 said:

It's brand new, out of the box less than a week ago

Hi again,

If it’s box fresh, what version of the Firmware is installed - you can see that on the start up screen, or find it on the Global Setting screen.

The usual thing to do when encountering general weirdness with the hardware Is to perform a “Factory Reset” to blow the bugs out. Anyhow, in this case you have nothing to lose, and if all else fails try it with someone else’s computer - ultimately it is under warranty.

Hope this helps/makes sense.

Reset Options

Helix Floor/LT

Button Combination

Description

LED light Fun

3 & 4

Test Mode

5 & 6

Global reset

7 & 8

Reset setlists to factory, Keep IRs

8 & 9

Reset setlists to factory, Clear IRs

9 & 10

Reset setlists to factory, Global reset, Clear IRs

10 & 11

Upgrades existing presets to latest format

11 & 12

Clear current preset

5 & 12

Clear setlists, clear IRs, Return system settings to default

6 & 12

Safe boot mode

To use Reset Options:

• Power off the Helix
  • Hold the desired button combination
  • Power on the Helix
  • Release the button combination

Please note: Buttons are numbered from top left to bottom right.

10 hours ago, datacommando said:

what version of the Firmware is installed

Firmware Version 2.30.0

I tried the factory reset and the issue remains.

I also tried setting it up on my PC laptop with Windows 10, authorized the comp, installed the drivers etc etc and it isn't communicating with that either. My best guess is the USB port is faulty? What do you think?

Thanks for all your help with this Commando.

6 hours ago, SWest3 said:

Firmware Version 2.30.0

I tried the factory reset and the issue remains.

I also tried setting it up on my PC laptop with Windows 10, authorized the comp, installed the drivers etc etc and it isn't communicating with that either. My best guess is the USB port is faulty? What do you think?

Thanks for all your help with this Commando.

Not to ask the obvious question, but have you tried a different USB cable?

1 hour ago, phil_m said:

have you tried a different USB cable?

Sure have! On both the MAC and the PC.

This is real annoying as i have a big Music Theatre gig coming up I was hoping to use the Helix for. Doubt i'll be able to get a replacement one through warranty by the time the gig kicks off. 

I'm programming my Boss GT-100 now. 

Any other troubleshooting ideas you and or anyone else has would be greatly appreciated. Otherwise i'll see what i can do with the warranty.

On 7/5/2021 at 5:56 AM, SWest3 said:

What do you think?

Hi, again,

As you seem to have gone through the regular trouble shooting routines without success, then the best strategy would be to have it swapped out for a new unit that does function. Check with your retailer, or Customer Service for details on how to proceed.

I have to say, for the record, that this has to be the first time that I’ve heard of this sort of USB issue with a brand new unit. It will doubtless be replaced without any quibbles.

Good luck.

As a MacBook Pro owner who used to have the same issues I feel your pain.

My MacBook is older than yours so I don't run your version of OSX but I do have two USB-3 Type A ports in addition to two Thunderbolt ports so my connectivity problems were likely not as tricky as yours with only one kind of port.

You might try this cable:

https://www.connection.com/product/startech.com-usb-c-to-usb-2.0-type-b-m-m-printer-cable-1m/usb2cb1m/30567921?cac=Nested

Make do with this 3 foot cable.  If your computer desk or table does not make that possible then rearrange your desk or find another location until 3 feet does work.  I bought several 6 foot cables and none worked.  I could not connect until I bought a 3 footer.  Don't ask me because I don't know why.  If this cable does not by itself work you may have to do the other things I have to do.  In addition to the short cable I make sure Mac and Helix do not interact with anything except each other.  I eject all peripherals, hubs and devices from the ports and I close all other apps.  If I don't do this the Helix will frequently lose connection to the Mac right in the middle of what I was doing.  A frustrating experience to be sure.

15 hours ago, datacommando said:

this has to be the first time that I’ve heard of this sort of USB issue with a brand new unit.

Sound about right. I don't have the best of luck. If it wasn't for bad luck, i wouldn't have no luck at all. Thanks for the help Commando.

15 hours ago, MGW-Alberta said:

So very painful! I was so excited when i got it and the whole ordeal has just about put me off line6 TBH, and i'm yet to hear back from my support ticket for a week. 

I appreciate the USB cable suggestion, but I don't think i should need to get that to make it work, specially a system that costs as much as this. I'm going to go through the warranty deal, get a replacement unit and try that one. If that doesn't work...I'll try the cable for sure as a last resort. 

Thanks for all the assistance mates!

• 1 year later...
On 7/5/2021 at 8:33 AM, MGW-Alberta said:

My MacBook is older than yours so I don't run your version of OSX but I do have two USB-3 Type A ports in addition to two Thunderbolt ports so my connectivity problems were likely not as tricky as yours with only one kind of port.

You might try this cable:

https://www.connection.com/product/startech.com-usb-c-to-usb-2.0-type-b-m-m-printer-cable-1m/usb2cb1m/30567921?cac=Nested

Make do with this 3 foot cable.  If your computer desk or table does not make that possible then rearrange your desk or find another location until 3 feet does work.  I bought several 6 foot cables and none worked.  I could not connect until I bought a 3 footer.  Don't ask me because I don't know why.  If this cable does not by itself work you may have to do the other things I have to do.  In addition to the short cable I make sure Mac and Helix do not interact with anything except each other.  I eject all peripherals, hubs and devices from the ports and I close all other apps.  If I don't do this the Helix will frequently lose connection to the Mac right in the middle of what I was doing.  A frustrating experience to be sure.

SOLVED! - 3 footer works! 

Hi Everyone - I just got a Helix, Macbook Pro running Ventura 13.2 (updated from 11.x after issues with that), and all the same problems - the Helix randomly connects for a seconds then disconnects, then keeps doing this, Tired 4 different cables, removing al other hubs, etc - Same issues, .

SOLVED - The user who mentioned the 3 foot cable - thank you! No idea why either but all my other cables were 6ft, etc - found an old 3 foot USB 2.0 cable, which i have to plug into a little tiny USB-> USB C adapter, and voila - it totally works with no dropouts (so far)

Try this - hopefully same for you all!