Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

EQ Pedal before or after HD500X

johnlovesbeer

I’m hoping someone has done this before and can offer up advice, and I will try both ways myself, but just wondering if anyone can give me a why or why not.......

When playing live I now use my HD500X straight to the mixing desk. I usually take at least 2 guitars to a gig, a Strat, and something with humbuckers, and I change guitars for different songs regularly. 

I have the problem of the Strat having less output than my other guitars. I have my Pod set up pretty much how I want it, with midi from the backing track player automatically changing patches, so I don’t want to double up on patches and reprogram the tracks just for the Strat, or add a volume pedal into patches that don’t already have it.

I’m thinking an easy solution to this could be to run an EQ stomp box to boost the Strat. I don’t want to put the pedal in the FX loop of the Pod because I use that for a clean dB boost for solos on all patches (a really cool trick with a patch lead).

So......

Should I run the EQ pedal before the Pod so it’s a boost straight from the guitar or run it after the Pod so it boosts the whole signal chain?

Cheers in advance!

in this instance, you would want to put it before the Pod. 

*between the guitar and Pod. 

See, your Pod is receiving a different signal, therefore it will react differently. 

What you want to do is put it before the Pod so that it receives the same signal and will reacts the same. 

*They sell signal boosters made for this reason. Some can be plugged directly into the guitar before the cord. Some have predetermined settings, other allow some customization. 

Thanks Pianoguyy.

Yeah, that’s what I thought. I did try it with a cheap boost pedal that I had kicking around and it worked, but I was getting audible interference, even when it wasn’t engaged. I’ll invest in a decent EQ pedal. At least that way I’ve also got more range if I want to boost any frequencies