Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HX Stomp: Expression Pedal as global Volume Pedal

galbur

Hi

Is there a possibility to use my Expression Pedal as a Global (Input) Volume Pedal for all Presets?

Or do i have to put a Volume Control at the Beginning of Every Effect-Chain?

Thank you

Regards

Christoph

No way to do it globally. Whether or not you need a Volume block depends on your use case.

Putting a Volume Block first in the chain affects the gain on ODs/amps that follow.

Putting it after the ODs/amps but before the time based FX doesn't cut off those FX, which is an effect in itself.

Assigning the exp pedal to the Output Block level works great for swells of the total sound and spares a block.

• Upvote 2

The best you can do to make workflow easier is a) create a template with the controller where you want it and assigned accordingly and/or make a 'favourite' version of the volume control to drop where you want.

• Upvote 3

Hi, and thank you for helping

OK. I see. It would be great if this could be done.
At the beginning or at the end of the chain.
Maybe "global blocks" would also be of help? Similar to the favorites, but always as a package. With two or more effects. Maybe a "feature request"?

Then:

Stating the obvious, but if you use your pedal in front of HX Stomp, it will work as a main input volume pedal, and that's saving the EXP port for something else.

You are right PerM. But unfortunately the expression pedal is only an expression pedal (Zoom FP02M by the way) and not a volume pedal.
So it won't work.

Regards

Christoph

• Upvote 1

My advice, slightly off-topic, and maybe stating the obvious to some:

Use the volume knob on the guitar.  The advantages are that you are not glued to the Helix and can control your sounds "remotely".  I actually default to always having my distortion block on for every preset, including "surf" or "ballad" stuff.  I clean up my sound by rolling down the volume knob to 6 on my strat, and all the in-between positions as needed.  When I have quick clean/dirty changes in the song (like System of a Down stuff), I put a volume pedal in the beginning of the chain with a fixed position to be able to select a snapshot where it's enabled/disabled.  For example, I have the static volume pedal fixed at 7% to give me clean rhythm sound.  I toggle between 2 snapshots and it works for me.

If you put the volume pedal after your amp, you control the overall volume of your guitar.  It won't clean up if you reduce the volume. 

I assign the volume pedal at the end of the chain whenever I'm in a situation when the sound guy won't be able to mix the balance right, so I can fine-tune the balance on the fly.  Otherwise, I don't use the volume pedal.  It is hard to slightly turn yourself up/down on the fly with it otherwise.  I also put the volume pedal in the beginning of the chain in one song because I have a few swells and need to notes to come out of nowhere and turn into feedback. 

If you need a volume pedal in all presets, then you just need to copy it into every preset, and set the EXP control to Global, as people have mentioned.  One more advice: create a master preset, from which you can create other presets by copy/pasting it rather than recreating each preset from scratch. 

d.

• Upvote 1