Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

"Gain Block" ?

dacop13

It's a signal booster, usually (in that configuration) intended as a clean (doesn't affect amp gain) BOOST for leads. It's under "Volume/Pan".

For this purpose it's easier and saves a Block to assign a FS to the Output Block Level with a 3-6db boost.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

You can do the same 'effect' as RD2RK mentioned with the output level at the end of your chain, however I find it easier to just engage a Gain block for my lead snapshots or presets rather than assigning snapshots to the output level and jumping between 2 different settings sometimes.  

8 minutes ago, themetallikid said:

You can do the same 'effect' as RD2RK mentioned with the output level at the end of your chain, however I find it easier to just engage a Gain block for my lead snapshots or presets rather than assigning snapshots to the output level and jumping between 2 different settings sometimes.  

For a simple preset, the only difference is that you save a block. On a preset with multiple output blocks, using the Output Block Level saves multiple blocks.

Using a Gain Block adds the step of finding and inserting the block.

Using the Output Block Level adds the step of messing with the Min/Max settings.

Everything has a benefit, and everything has a price.

Helix has so many ways of doing everything, we get to pick our poison.

A surfeit of options.

Opportunities for mixed metaphors......

• Like 1

On 7/10/2021 at 10:49 AM, themetallikid said:

Although as you mention you can change the Output block's level with snapshots you can also change it without switching snapshots. First assign the 'Level' parameter of the Output block to a footswitch and then, for example, set the 'Min Level' = "0.0 db" and the 'Max Level' = "+3.0 db". Clicking the assigned footswitch on will then boost the Output block's gain in any snapshot to +3db.  That approach works well for me as I have my switches set to 'Snap/Stomp', top and bottom row respectively. 

Nothing wrong with using a 'Gain' block either though. Some players prefer, at least for some presets, using one in front of their delays or reverbs as bypassing or activating the Gain block then does not impact the volume of the reflections or repeats for the last note(s)/chord(s) played before the 'Gain' block is activated/bypassed.

If I used an HX Stomp or HX Effects I would likely stay away from the gain block unless absolutely required since "blocks" are limited. But with the LT, I don't hesitate to drop one in as required to serve any transparent cut/boost action. 

There are many reasons I like to use the gain block. 

• It uses very little DSP... virtually none. 
  • It's really transparent sounding.
  • It can be placed anywhere in your signal path... rather than tied to a fixed position. 
  • Often overlooked... they can CUT just as well as they can BOOST.   

I generally use THREE gain blocks on my live presets.... 

• One at the front of my chain. This helps me to balance gain structure quickly with different guitars. 
  • One near the end of my chain as a lead boost
  • One before a "stomp style compressor" (eg: Dyna Comp, Kinky Comp, etc...) .. I find the stomp compressors have far too much gain reduction, even at their lowest settings so I set the gain block to CUT the signal by a desired amount so the compressor will have more range, but still have it's tonal characteristic. I make the gain up with the output of the compressor. BOTH the gain and compressor block will toggle with the same stomp switch, or within a snapshot. (ie: they work as one pedal). 

Just my 2 cents....

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, codamedia said:

One before a "stomp style compressor" (eg: Dyna Comp, Kinky Comp, etc...) .. I find the stomp compressors have far too much gain reduction, even at their lowest settings so I set the gain block to CUT the signal by a desired amount so the compressor will have more range, but still have it's tonal characteristic. I make the gain up with the output of the compressor.

Interesting. I'll have to try that!

• Like 1