Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Weird Helix XLR/Audio Interface issue

Nos402

So here's a weird problem I can't figure out.

When I have both XLR outputs of my Helix hooked up to my Native Instruments Komplete Audio 6 interface, the right XLR from the Helix is significantly louder and also has a hiss. If I turn the Helix off the hiss gets worse and is even there if I unplug the unit.

If I plug the Helix XLRs into my in-ears transmitter, all seems fine so it seems like it's just the audio interface.

But the weird part to me is that it's always the Helix's right XLR that does this whether it's plugged into input 1 or input 2 of the interface, so it's not something wrong with one of the inputs. I've swapped cables as well. I've turned phantom power off on the interface. This one is truly baffling me.

4 hours ago, Nos402 said:

This one is truly baffling me.

Interesting, but as you have isolated the Helix, and discovered that it works fine on it’s own, then the demons that inhabit the NI Komplete interface must be appeased. 

This might require a human sacrifice - or a post on the Native Instruments forum, as that seems to be the item at fault.

Hope this helps/makes sense. - actually, the problem is so weird that it doesn’t make sense to me - at all.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/10/2021 at 7:25 PM, datacommando said:

Interesting, but as you have isolated the Helix, and discovered that it works fine on it’s own, then the demons that inhabit the NI Komplete interface must be appeased. 

This might require a human sacrifice - or a post on the Native Instruments forum, as that seems to be the item at fault.

Hope this helps/makes sense. - actually, the problem is so weird that it doesn’t make sense to me - at all.

EXACTLY! I was convinced it had to be a Helix XLR issue until I realized it ONLY happened on my audio interface, but it's totally baffling as to WHY it would always be the Helix's right XLR regardless of which input on the interface it's hooked up to. I cannot for the life of me figure out the logic there.

14 hours ago, Nos402 said:

I cannot for the life of me figure out the logic there.

Sorry, but I really don’t understand why this is happening.

The only other thing that I could suggest is trying to hook up your Helix to another device that has XLR connections, although you did say it works fine with your IEM transmitter. Maybe you have a friend who would be willing to loan you a different audio interface so you can progress your trouble shooting.

I generally use my Helix floor as the audio interface on USB after years of using a Focusrite Saffire, but I also have a cheapo UMC204HD as a spare, which is handy for testing issues such as this. 

Did you check or post on the Native Instruments forums for anything similar?

Hope this helps/makes sense.

Sounds like the Helix's right channel XLR  pin 3 (signal minus) is not connected / defective. 

To test this: engage ground lift - if I'm right the right channel doesn't produce signal when plugged into the interface alone while the left does.

• Upvote 1