Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix Rack Motherboard Fried...

xCepheid

Hey everyone, first time on forums here. I've opened a support ticket on this issue but was hoping I could get some user perspectives on this issue. So basically:

Turned on my Helix this morning to play for a bit and within 30 to 60 seconds it violently shut off. I flipped the switch off then back on and it booted up just fine, but smoke started coming out of the front panel. Turned it off, disconnected it, and removed it from my rack. I've opened it up to see what happened inside and it seems some small components on the underside of the bottom motherboard totally fried. The weird thing is that it still turns on and operates just fine, but I'm paranoid to continue using it.

I've included images of the damage below:

https://imgur.com/a/V8TYStM

Any ideas as to what these components are or how this would happen would help a ton. I can't find anything on this issue online and I'm left scratching my head as to how this even occurred. As an aside: All my other gear is a-ok. All the electricity in my home is grounded and all my gear runs through a fairly new Furman F1500. Have never spilled anything on the Helix or mishandled it. The Helix was acquired around 2016/2017.

Wow… Yeah, that looks fried. Hard to say what caused it. It could have just been a weak solder joint that eventually failed, or 

perhaps one of those components just failed. Was the Helix above something that was generating a lot of heat? That even seems unlikely  though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, xCepheid said:

The weird thing is that it still turns on and operates just fine, but I'm paranoid to continue using it.

As you should be...the only thing you actually want to see smoke coming from is a campfire. Regrettably your Helix is anything but "just fine". You'll be needing a "Plan B" till its fixed...