Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

How to output a wet and dry signal?

Digiplay

Hello everyone!

I've researched my question, but I have never seen it asked the way I will ask it :)

I want to send the wet/full f/fx signal out one 1/4" outputs on my Helix, while at the same time sending a fully dry signal out another 1/4" output.

I want to do it this way because I will send both outputs to my UAD Apollo Twin Duo, and then I will arm two tracks within LPX to record the original wet sound on the first track, and the fully dry sound on the second track.

Once recorded, I will send the dry track out from one of my outputs on the UAD, using a 1/4" cable, back into the input on the Helix.

From that point I will try out different sounds on the Helix, and once I find one I like, I will record that sound to a new third track on LPX.

For those who might ask why I want to do it this way, the answer is:

1) It makes more sense to me :)

2) I don't want to use the Helix as my interface.

Thanks in advance!

Jerry

No problem. Should the dry signal be the DI guitar signal or the amped signal minus FX?
Either way, it's easy and can be done in multiple ways, the only relevant thing being that you pan the individual 1/4 split outs all the way L/R.
Here's two patches, each with one dry out (left 1/4) and one wet out (right 1/4).

1_4 Split 1.hlx 1_4 Split 2.hlx

No matter how many times/ways it's been asked (many), the answer remains the same:

Take a Split at the beginning of the signal chain. Separate the Outputs (no mixer block).

Pan one Left and the other right.

Oh, you're using the splits for other stuff? Use Helix as your AI, as it was designed to be used.

Your UAD ain't that much better sounding (not at all with Helix via USB - one less DA/AD conversion), and it takes a minute to change ASIO drivers in your DAW when you think it's necessary.

You can also, if you believe that the Helix is just TOO dreadful to use as an AI (or whatever the reason is for your UAD preference), use an A/B box before the Helix. This defeats the Auto Impedance feature, but just don't use FX that require Input Impedance below 1M in order to sound "authentic" and you'll be fine.

3 hours ago, MGW-Alberta said:

One way that seems pretty obvious to me that does not require making changes at all to your patches or settings would be to employ an A/B/Y box between your guitar and Helix.

This is the A/B/Y box I have and it works flawlessly for me:

https://www.radialeng.com/product/twin-city

That's a good idea, but I already have a Radial ProDI, and the way I used it with my formerly owned GT-1000 was to send the thru output to the GT-1000, and the main output to the Apollo.

One of the reasons I decided to go with the Helix (besides the obvious reasons) was because I thought it would be easy to send a dry signal out one of its separate outs, and as such, I would not need the ProDI anymore :)

Well, if you use the Helix as your interface, it is STUPIDLY easy to do what you want, as the #7 output is always a DI track (dry signal), so you don't have to do any sort of signal chain gobbeldy lollipop, and can then use the Helix to reamp that dry signal as much as you want.  

However, since you want to make it more difficult, you'll have to set up two separate signal paths (one with amps/ effects, one totally dry) and then send them to the separate outputs.  Means you can't do stereo effects (or if you do, they'll not be stereo)

I'm not trying to make it more difficult caledoneus :)

My UAD interface has a 1/4" line input on the front (which I use for guitar), and I'm using one of the rear XLR inputs for my Mic, and another XLR input for my keyboard.

I also have an Optical interface (used for drums/bass/etc.) connected to the Optical In on the interface, and this setup works great because multiple musicians can be recorded at the same time.

I have NO doubt that the Helix is a GREAT interface, but the UAD has many essential great plugins that I rely on, whereas the Helix doesn't, and it seems more trouble to me to disconnect:

1) My studio monitors.

2) My mic.

3) My keyboard.

4) My Optical interface.

And...............................................................................................................

then hook up the Helix to my studio monitors so the guitar can be heard while recording, but no one else can be recorded at the same time, and after the guitar track is recorded, I would then have to unhook everything from the Helix, and reconnect all inputs/outputs back to the UAD like before.

That being said...........................................................................................

I am an old dog who can be taught new tricks, so I'm open to any suggestions/discussion :)

Thanks,

Jerry

Unless all of the inputs on the optical interface are always occupied, just connect the Helix outs to that. That'll get the Helix to your monitors while recording.

The Helix USB can be left connected. Then all you need to do when you want to do a DI guitar track is change the ASIO driver in Your DAW.

If you need to do a DI track while recording everything else simultaneously, then my previous suggestions are what you're left with.

I assume that LPX is Logic Pro X. That means you're using a MAC. Have you looked into creating an Aggregate Device so that you can use BOTH the UAD and Helix as ASIO devices concurrently? I'm not a MAC guy so I can't give you details, but I've heard that it can be done.