Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HX Edit - Sorting Presets

jvivianojr

Is there a way in HX Edit to sort the Presets by name or something other than their Preset Number?   In my workflow as I evolve a given preset over time, I usually use a number suffix to designate the subsequent version.  But as I am creating them I usually start by copying and pasting into the next open "New Preset" slot at the bottom of the list.   The option to sort by Name would be helpful in use cases like Preset cleanup, making sure you are not saving over another important preset accidentally, etc..  Apprecaite your help. 

3 hours ago, jvivianojr said:

Is there a way in HX Edit to sort the Presets by name or something other than their Preset Number?

Hi,

Not sure if this is what you are looking for, but forum user Malhavok (Ben Vesco) created this quite a while back, check it out.

http://www.benvesco.com/blog/vescos-helix-patch-sorter/

Hope this helps/makes sense.

Thank you all for the feedback so far and some of the work around suggestions.  I will go and check Ideascale for the feature request.  Essentially we are just looking for a database view in HX Edit.  No need to reorder and store in the Helix itself or even in the patch files.    

• Thanks 1

Tip: use the Helix backups instead of versioning each preset multiple times. 

I use one preset-per-song.  I need to reorder them as needed when my band decides on the set order.  I use another playlist folder to store "backups" of all my presets, just in case I accidentally do something stupid right before going onstage.  I make a Helix backup after very single (often trivial) change.  That's how I version my presets as well.  If I realized that a month ago my preset sounded better than what I have right now, I:

1. retrieve that helix backup

2. restore my presets into another preset folder

3. copy and paste it from there. 

It's a lot easier than keeping a ton of old presets IMO.  But to each his own. 

• Upvote 1

It's not a feature I'd ever use since my "master" preset for each song is always exported to a specific directory and imported as needed into my performance preset list on the Helix.  The value being it can be sorted in name order, or date modified order (which helps in managing song rotations), along with any other relevant info I choose to store along with the name of the preset such as which version is for which guitar.  The good news is comparing the date created and the date modified helps me to identify which presets need to be updated after a firmware upgrade.  It also gets archived into my backups automatically every night to a cloud server so I can roll back to earlier versions should I choose to.

I don't need or want the Helix to become an archival facility.  That's what I have a computer for and it's better at it than anything the Helix could ever offer.