Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Anyone Else Having To Max Presence and Treble?

GraveyardSky

I have an HX Stomp going into a Seymour Duncan Powerstage into a cab loaded with V30's.

I have to almost max the presence and treble inside amp models and also move the treble knob on the Powerstage to 2:00 position just to get it to sound good and not like a blanket is on the speaker.

Is this normal? Because it seems very odd.

Are you using just the amp models and no Amp+Cab blocks or any separate cab blocks? When running the Stomp through a guitar cab, no internal cabs should be active.
Otherwise yes, it would be odd. Usually, IMO at least, the Helix amps are pretty much on the bright side.

Edit: waymda beat me to it.

• Like 1

I find myself doing that on some amps, especially the Marshalls.

Interestingly, I saw a Pete Thorn video where he showed how he does that with the real amps.

Another thing to consider is the physical cab you're using. Some cabs are just darker than others.

4 minutes ago, rd2rk said:

I find myself doing that on some amps, especially the Marshalls.

Interestingly, I saw a Pete Thorn video where he showed how he does that with the real amps.

Another thing to consider is the physical cab you're using. Some cabs are just darker than others.

Cab isn't the issue. I had an EVH 5150 III running into it before I switched to HX. That amp was bright and I had to watch the treble and presence. Totally different story with all of the amp models in the HX Stomp. 

What is your input impedance set like on the Stomp? 

• Auto: Always picks the impedance of the first block in the chain, whether it is active or not
  • Auto w/ "Global > Preferences > Auto Impedance" set to first enabled..... picks the impedance of the first ACTIVE block in the chain. 
  • Or you can set it to a fixed value to avoid surprises. (to troubleshoot... set this to 1M and see if it solves your problem)

Another possible problem is cables. Make sure any in your chain are not sucking the tone from your signal.... test them each individually.  Whenever something doesn't sound right (dull, lifeless) I reach to other cables to make sure that is not the issue. Never underestimate how much a simple cable can screw with a signal, and never under estimate how quickly a cable can/will turn against you :) 

Checking cables: Yes, definitely. But as far as speaker impedance curves or input impedances go, these should be pretty much irrelevant. I mean, we're not talking about whatever finetuning tips here but about a situation where someone apparently needs to turn up presence and treble all the way up. That's pretty much never related to whatever impedance issues in case everything else is working properly.

19 minutes ago, SaschaFranck said:

But as far as speaker impedance curves or input impedances go, these should be pretty much irrelevant. I mean, we're not talking about whatever finetuning tips here but about a situation where someone apparently needs to turn up presence and treble all the way up

Under certain circumstances "input impedance" would most certainly be relevant. 

Yes it needs a particular recipe to be a problem... but by DEFAULT the Helix is setup to deliver that recipe by simply adding a fuzz, wah or any one of many other low impedance effects to the beginning of the chain. Whether the effect is turned on or not, it will load down your pickups... and it can get muddy. 

I'm not saying that IS the problem... it's just something to check :) 

There is never any harm in leaving no stone unturned while troubleshooting!  

11 hours ago, SaschaFranck said:

Sure. But the very first thing to do would be to check things with the Powerstage and cab taken out of the equation.

For the record, I never said NOTHING ELSE should be checked. I was providing other "potential" issues. 

You're right.... I'm wrong. I'm used to it when you are active on these forums. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, codamedia said:

Under certain circumstances "input impedance" would most certainly be relevant. 

Yes it needs a particular recipe to be a problem... but by DEFAULT the Helix is setup to deliver that recipe by simply adding a fuzz, wah or any one of many other low impedance effects to the beginning of the chain. Whether the effect is turned on or not, it will load down your pickups... and it can get muddy. 

I'm not saying that IS the problem... it's just something to check :) 

There is never any harm in leaving no stone unturned while troubleshooting!  

I plug directly into a Walrus Audio Jupiter fuzz pedal and then go into the HX Stomp. Could that be the problem? 

27 minutes ago, GraveyardSky said:

I plug directly into a Walrus Audio Jupiter fuzz pedal and then go into the HX Stomp. Could that be the problem? 

That's a True Bypass pedal, so if it's sitting next to the HXS on your board it shouldn't affect it when it's OFF.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, GraveyardSky said:

well.... I agree with what  @rd2rk says above.... but for troubleshooting you should always take something like that out of the chain long enough to know it isn't causing the problem.  If the problem persists, add it back in! 

On 7/17/2021 at 10:10 PM, GraveyardSky said:

Just running an amp block. Nothing else. No Amp+Cab or Cab block in chain.

Is there any chance the Global EQ is engaged on the Stomp... possibly with some dramatic EQ or Filter settings?

Are you running ANY effects in the Stomp prior to the amp block? 

• Upvote 1