Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

How to use both XLR outs separately

TrueAaginor

Hello,

I just got my Helix floor, and try to figure out the following setup:

I want to use it live for my guitar *and* vocals and have the signals independent. So the Upper Chain should be: Git In => XLR Left and the lower chain MIC In => XLR Right. As I can only assign XLR out (and not XLR Left / Right) I was assuming panning the XLR out of the upper chain all the way LEFT would cause the signal to go to the XLR Left out only. And if I'd pan it all the way Right, there should be no signal through XLR Left at all (because all goes to right). But panning to left or right just lowers the volume of the signal and there is no difference between panning it to the left or panning it to the right. So it seems to me, that there is some "Stereo to Mono Summation" or something like this happening. I was looking for a "set XLR to Mono" Switch but found nothing.

I have not changed the setting of the Helix, just updated the firmware to 03.11. My test setup is just the guitar in and XLR out LEFT => Audiointerface. The upper chain has Guitar In Input and XLR output, the lower chain has MIC In and XLR out (though I did not connected any cables to MIC IN and XLR Right yet).

Any idea, how I can fix this?

Thanks in advance,
Frank

If you only have the left XLR out connected, the signal from both XLR out will be summed to mono to that XLR out. Once you plug something into the right XLR out, the panning will work accordingly.

23 hours ago, phil_m said:

If you only have the left XLR out connected, the signal from both XLR out will be summed to mono to that XLR out. Once you plug something into the right XLR out, the panning will work accordingly.

There is a BUG that is not fixed to this day where it does NOT combine left and right.  You need to plug a cable into right, unplug it, then into left, THEN it will combine it.  How do I know this?  I have a very exaggerated left/right delay in one presets and only the left side sounds, until you perform this step.  

23 minutes ago, theElevators said:

There is a BUG that is not fixed to this day where it does NOT combine left and right.  You need to plug a cable into right, unplug it, then into left, THEN it will combine it.  How do I know this?  I have a very exaggerated left/right delay in one presets and only the left side sounds, until you perform this step.  

Mine works as it should. That sounds like an issue specific to your unit.

5 hours ago, phil_m said:

Mine works as it should. That sounds like an issue specific to your unit.

If you leave left/right plugged in when you power up the unit -- it's fine.  I have this issue on my LT and Floor.  I opened a ticket and was told it's a bug.  Try it with a very slow ping-pong delay.  You will hear only one side.