Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Generate Expression pedal values from buttons?

cmscss

Hi There,

Sorry if this isn't the place to post but I'm trying to understand out how to deliver expression pedal values to an HX Effects using two momentary switches on my guitar.

The idea being that one button sends a low value and another sends a high value to create glitch-like effects instead of the smooth transition expression pedals deliver (thumb and forefinger hold pick for plucking, other fingers hit buttons like finger picked glitches).

I've posted on a DIY electronics forum and it seems like having one pot per button would allow setting a value per button which sounds useful. However, if I understand things correctly, Helix expression pedal jacks aren't TRS.

So does that mean I could only use one button? Or doesn't it mater because helix would just see whatever value is transmitted from whichever button is hit (in theory, you could have 8 buttons if you wanted)?

I hope that makes sense, while I've built lots of guitar pedals from kits, I'm very green when it comes to electronics and don't really understand which wire connects to which lug to achieve any of this. Obviously this arrangement means another jack/cable coming from the guitar.

Any suggestions or pointers in the right direction would be much appreciated.

Cheers, Ben