Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

WHY WHY WHY!!!! Does it sound terrible now!

PaulTBaker

First, I'm venting... very sorry!  I have a helix lt, with a PC 212+ and a PC 112+.  I was going to use the 212 for bigger gigs and the 112 for smaller gigs and practice.  I have had line 6 stuff since the pod 2.0 and have loved everything.  played for years with a dt25 and HD500x.  The Dt25 was flakey, but sounded great when it worked.  I got a helix right before covid, so I have only used it out maybe 6 times.  I just got the PC's a few months ago and have used them 3 or 4 times.  I play a little bit of everything, but the really heavy stuff (that scares me :))   

I will go back and forth between stacking the cabs, leaning both cabs back, or just using one of the two.  I play (mainly fiddle with settings) for at least 2 to 3 hours everynight... really.  I heard about the HF problem, so I saved a new patch on each PC called PTB Raw.  I was using the LF Raw.  I play a Les Paul, tele, and a yamaha ES 2??? (hollow body electric with soapboxes).... It was sounding great.  I just got back from out of town, and it sounds like the speakers are blown, (I don't think they are)..... it sound horrible.  I tried all 3 guitars, tried one or both of the PC's, tried using different speaker models on the PC, going back to LF Raw.... all sound very brittle and very harsh... especially with the cabs leaned back (I know I am getting  a more direct hit from the speaker then)

One other thing.... I have ALWAYS used the ampeg 1x15 cab..... even going into the LF Raw.  That was sounding nice and smooth last week.  This is probably a different discussion, but the 1x15 cab is the only way I could smooth out the helix. I tried all the cabs, and they all sounded too brittle.  

Ok, so some one tell which button to press to make it sound good again :)    .... as I said, I'm venting  :0  thanks for getting this far!

My guess is that the HF Driver is not working right.

LF RAW is just the Speaker set to NATURAL - no EQ applied, HF Driver OFF.

Connect a MIDI cable from Helix to Powercab.

In your Preset, set Powercab to Speaker Mode and the NATURAL Speaker emulation.

In Command Center set the first IC (lightning bolt) to send CC#5 with a Value of 0. That turns OFF the HF Driver.

If you find that too dull, add to the Value sent a little at a time till it sounds better.

I don't know what's happening with the Powercab Presets, but this is the only way I can get the HF Driver to work consistently.

13 hours ago, rd2rk said:

My guess is that the HF Driver is not working right.

LF RAW is just the Speaker set to NATURAL - no EQ applied, HF Driver OFF.

Connect a MIDI cable from Helix to Powercab.

In your Preset, set Powercab to Speaker Mode and the NATURAL Speaker emulation.

In Command Center set the first IC (lightning bolt) to send CC#5 with a Value of 0. That turns OFF the HF Driver.

If you find that too dull, add to the Value sent a little at a time till it sounds better.

I don't know what's happening with the Powercab Presets, but this is the only way I can get the HF Driver to work consistently.

I should have mentioned I'm using the l6link from helix to PC.  I have never done anything with Midi before, but I will try.  I think I have a cable somewhere.  Would I have BOTH L6link and Midi connected at the same time?  

I had read somewhere about the HF driver not working correctly, their fix was to create the patch on the PC.

Thank you.  I will give this a try!

I assumed you were using L6 Link, which does not carry MIDI.

L6 Link will, when the Powercab settings IN THE HELIX PRESET are set to SPEAKER/NATURAL, set that properly in the Powercab.

Set that way, it's SUPPOSED to disable the HF Driver, but doesn't always do that.

That's why you need to add a MIDI cable and use MIDI to FORCE the Powercab to do what you want.

We're all hoping for an update/bug-fix, but L6 is stubbornly mute on the subject.

• Like 1