Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Preset Spillover Question

ILikaGoFast

Hi all,

Here is my question:

Can I switch from one preset with Reverb and delay to another preset which does NOT have Reverb and delay, and have the fx from preset 1 spillover into preset 2?

In other words, does the Helix have TRUE spillover?

It used to be that if you HAD to have the same effect on both presets to get spillover; ie, preset 1 had a cathedral verb at 90% mix, and you could switch to preset 2 with cathedral verb at 10% mix and it WOULD spillover, but ONLY if you had the same effect on bath presets.

I want to create some Eric Johnson sounding presets (clean chorus going into high gain with a Tape delay,) and be able to have the trailing delay from the high gain patch fade into the clean/chorus patch when I change presets.

Or, since I am a newbie, do I need to use "snapshots" to do this?

I owned a Helix briefly 2 years ago and never learned much about it, and just got a new one today.

Thanks for any advice

-Matt

Congratulations on the new Helix! There have been a lot of enhancements since your last go.

Until others here on the User Support Forums provide you more specific info, Snapshots (up to 8 of which may be defined within any Preset) are the way to go. They are incredibly powerful and flexible. You'll also want to explore enabling the Trails parameter of the FXs that you want to trail out. 

Also know that with most recent firmware version 3.11 you now have the option for Instantaneous Preset Switching. This is not precisely what you are asking, yet it is a recent and very powerful feature. Note, however, that this requires using all of the second DSP chip's resources so that you will not be able to use Signal Paths 2A and 2B. See the firmware 3.11 version Release Notes for more information on this. 

Also see HelixHelp.com for lots of helpful information. 

• Upvote 1

Thanks for the reply!

I have been trying to research how to do what I am wanting to do (enabling trails AND switching between clean and dirty amps,) and it seems snapshots are NOT the way to go.

From what I understand, you CANT switch between two different amps within a snapshot, is that correct?

I want to switch between a clean blackface amp and an overdriven Marshall, and you can't do that within a snapshot, right?

Each Snapshot supports up to 64 Parameter settings. You may define up to 8 Snapshots per Preset. This allows you to define as many blocks for two different amps and multiple FX within the same Preset. All subject to your DSP resources. So, Yes, using up to all four signal paths: 1A, 1B (of DSP Chip 1) and 2A and 2B (DSP Chip 2) you could place two amps into your signal chain in the same Preset with FX Blocks. The Snapshots excel by allowing you to Enable or Bypass as well as or alter any Blocks parameters you wish -- up to the maximum of 64 Parameters per Snapshot -- all within a single Preset. So, for example Snapshot 1 could have your clean blackface Fender amp enabled with any of the parameters set as you wish. Snapshot 2 could have your overdriven Marshall enabled with any of the paramters set as you wish, plus it would Bypass your blackface Fender Amp Block (or conceivably reduce to minimum the gain and channel Volume of that Fender Block whilst leaving the Block enabled). Depending on how you position the Amp and Cab Blocks in your signal chain and where you position your FX Blocks and when they are Enabled or Bypassed (or their respective parameters minimized or maxed) would be entirely up to you. The beauty of Helix's elegance is that you can do things in the box that are nearly impossible to do in the real world with ridiculous patching. There are very few rules. So if it sounds good, go with it. Your Amp Block placements may well be most beneficial to place in split paths of Signal chain 1 and your FX in Signal Path 2A and 2B. Depending on what cabs or IRs you plan to use this will also have an impact on your configuration. Remember you do not need to use the Combo Amp Blocks. You may use Amp Blocks and multiple cab blocks as you wish, and enable or disable them via Snapshots. Even though the above is a long depiction, it only scratches the surface of what you can do with the Helix. Hope this helps. 

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, ILikaGoFast said:

Thanks for the reply!

I have been trying to research how to do what I am wanting to do (enabling trails AND switching between clean and dirty amps,) and it seems snapshots are NOT the way to go.

On the contrary, snapshots are exactly what you want.

From what I understand, you CANT switch between two different amps within a snapshot, is that correct?

Yes, you can...I do it all day long. Most of my patches have 2 amps... one clean, one dirty, and I toggle between them with snapshots.

I want to switch between a clean blackface amp and an overdriven Marshall, and you can't do that within a snapshot, right?

Yes, you can.

• Upvote 1

Thanks so much guys!

I truly appreciate the helpful replies!

So then a FINAL question for clarification:

If I setup a patch/preset that uses snapshots--the blackface clean, switching to a Marshall with a tape echo delay-- will I STILL be able to have the delay trail INTO my clean sound within that same patch?

(I DO understand that having trails means I can only have 1 signal path, and not a split stereo path)

If it helps to know, my signal path (Order of fx) is REALLY simple:

High gain sound=

Guitar>tuner>Helix>Helix fx loop 1 (ep3 preamp>Tube driver>) Marshall type amp+IR> Helix fx loop 2 (Maxon AD999) > out to powered speakers

Clean sound=

Guitar>tuner>Helix> blackface amp + ir > ep3 sim > dmm sim > Chorus Sim > out to powered speakers

So if you have a Helix or LT I think you can have up to 4 chains. With the HX Stomps there are 2....I think HX FX is that way too. That seems doable with scenes...

Another approach that is sorta fun for a morphing tone is to use the expression pedal and using the mix and pans to allow the expression pedal to morph for one amp->FX chain to another. I used that approach on the HD that has 2 chains and it can work great...kinda depends on the song and the speed of the transition you want.

8 hours ago, ILikaGoFast said:

Thanks so much guys!

I truly appreciate the helpful replies!

So then a FINAL question for clarification:

If I setup a patch/preset that uses snapshots--the blackface clean, switching to a Marshall with a tape echo delay-- will I STILL be able to have the delay trail INTO my clean sound within that same patch?

(I DO understand that having trails means I can only have 1 signal path, and not a split stereo path)

8 hours ago, ILikaGoFast said:

If it helps to know, my signal path (Order of fx) is REALLY simple:

High gain sound=

Guitar>tuner>Helix>Helix fx loop 1 (ep3 preamp>Tube driver>) Marshall type amp+IR> Helix fx loop 2 (Maxon AD999) > out to powered speakers

Clean sound=

Guitar>tuner>Helix> blackface amp + ir > ep3 sim > dmm sim > Chorus Sim > out to powered speakers

You can have trails when switching snapshots to, for example a clean sound within a preset. The easiest method is using one of Helix's onboard delays and set the trails parameter on.

If you rely on the Maxon in your loop for delay then per your post regarding your routing, if you switch to a snapshot that does not include the loop with the Maxon delay then of course you will be cutting of your trails as well. Perhaps there might be a way around this by putting the Maxon's loop on a parallel path so that when you switch to the clean snapshot you could turn only it's send off but leave the return on allowing the Maxon to continue sending any trails but not receiving any new signal in the clean preset. This might allow whatever was last sent in the previous high gain snapshot, before the switch to clean, to trail through. Don't know, have never tried anything like that.

• Like 1

^^^^This!

@ILikaGoFast, you may want to explore Helix's various FX blocks for your Distortion, Delay and Reverb (if any). By doing so, you may discover that it simplifies matters and offers quick and easy flexible signal routing options simply by repositioning Helix Blocks in your signal chain; all without the need for using any I/O FX Loops, their associated A/D and D/A processing, and cabling to your external devices. It's also an easy matter to keep your I/O cabling and simply disable the I/O FX Loops in your Helix Signal Chain to A/B how your existing configuration compares to doing it all in the Helix. BTW, if you have a computer to connect to your Helix, the Helix Edit application makes this entire process a bit more visible and easier to accomplish. Particularly, the A/B comparision. YMMV. Post back what works best for you. Above all else, Have Fun with it!