Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Pitch Shift / Snapshot Preset Question

kmrusk

Hey, gang.  I'm sure there is a straightforward solution to what I'm trying to achieve with my Helix...

I'm playing in a Classic / 80's rock garage band with basically 4 tones:  Clean with some glitz, Crunch, Hair Metal, and Lead with some boost, delay, verb and a little chorus.  Easy to do and I'm satisfied with my snaps using a Friedman model and all the "stuff".

As we are rehearsing and playing along with the recordings, though, they vary across standard, 1/2 down, and full step down.  I've tried to do this with 3 different presets, each with no or different poly pitch settings, and it works fine.  I would like it to be even more elegant, however, and only use a stomp for the pitch shift, and have the snaps control the 4 tones.  I can't have more than one poly pitch in series (to add 1/2 step down blocks in series) due to memory issues... just wondering if anyone else has solved this.

FWIW, playing direct out to a board and PA, varying brands and it all sounds fine.  We are a ways away from re-honing our chops from 20 years ago and playing live, but we are going for it!

Cheers,

Kevan

If you want all 4 tones in one preset, each with 3 possible tunings, that's 12. Since you only have 8 snapshots, and using a Stomp FS only gets you 2 settings (min/max), it's a tricky math problem.

Using MIDI I was able to get this to work. If you assign a MIDI CC# to the Interval parameter, sending a Value of 64 = Standard; 62 = -1; 60 = -2.

My controller can send either a single message per FS or Toggling messages.

Using Toggling messages I used two footswitches, one set to Values of 64/62 to go between Standard and 1/2 step; the other set to send 64/60 for Standard/full step.

I THINK the Morningstar controllers can send 3 messages from a single FS using Tap, Double Tap and PRESS&HOLD. Not sure about that though.

Interesting - I read the OP as saying they have one patch with 4 tones controlled via snapshots, that they've replicated across presets to set the different tuning.

If thats the case using 3 more snaphots to control the detuning of the poly pitch might be the answer - as the question infers the need for a ppoly pitch for each step - which isn't really required.

4 hours ago, kmrusk said:

As we are rehearsing and playing along with the recordings, though, they vary across standard, 1/2 down, and full step down.  I've tried to do this with 3 different presets, each with no or different poly pitch settings, and it works fine.  I would like it to be even more elegant, however, and only use a stomp for the pitch shift, and have the snaps control the 4 tones.  I can't have more than one poly pitch in series (to add 1/2 step down blocks in series) due to memory issues... just wondering if anyone else has solved this.

In addition to what I posted above:

You can use two Stomp footswitches to do this on Helix without a separate MIDI box.

Disable MIDI THRU.

Loop a MIDI cable from MIDI Out to MIDI In.

Assign the MIDI commands mentioned to two footswitches.

Works a treat, but you MUST disable MIDI THRU or you get a MIDI feedback loop that locks up the Helix.

47 minutes ago, waymda said:

Interesting - I read the OP as saying they have one patch with 4 tones controlled via snapshots, that they've replicated across presets to set the different tuning.

If thats the case using 3 more snaphots to control the detuning of the poly pitch might be the answer - as the question infers the need for a ppoly pitch for each step - which isn't really required.

I read it as his having the snapshots/pitch shifting working, but wanting to put the pitch shifting duties onto a stomp.

Yeah, not really very clear, but I had fun figuring out how to do it with MIDI.

Hope it works for him.

Fantastic, rd2rk and waymda!  You've both given me a few things to think about.  waymda, you read my OP correctly, but I guess I closed the door to your suggestion the way I worded it.  I actually don't care if any of this is controlled via stomp or snap...

Waymda, So, as I get more familiar with snapshots... It is possible to use a snap (or 3, as you suggested) to ONLY change the tuning of the poly tune, without disrupting the amp and effect settings which I am currently controlling using the existing 4 snaps?  If so, then I'm set!

rd2rk, you've really opened a can of worms for me, because I've never used MIDI (for some reason it's intimidated me for 30 years, ever since I got a MidiVerb III to add some effects to my JCM 900 and only controlled it via the buttons on the front! :-p ). I may try the trick you suggested... warning heeded about the MIDI Thru setting.

Thank you both for your input!!