Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

How to switch to mono FOH quickly?

zakhooi

Hi,

I have a HX Stomp and use the 2 CAB/IR Parallel-trick to get a stereo sound.
I noted when I use the the Left/MONO linout on a single Headrush FRFR112, the left and right channel sounds are combined and a chorus or stereo sound makes it sound weird.

When I change alle blocks to mono in the chain it sounds good.

What if for instance I'm at a venue where the soundman only has one (mono) line available for me, how do I switch to mono (without the weird summed up left and right sounds) quickly without having to go through a lot of changes in the preset?
Or do I need to create two versions (mono and stereo) of all presets I have?

I hope my question is clear

Thanks in advance.

The weird chorus effect is probably due to having two signals that are out of phase with each other and probably comes down to the difference in the cabs/IRs..especially if you're combining  IRs and cabs.  Without knowing the specifics of your particular setup it's hard to diagnose where it might be coming from.

Generally speaking, all you have to do to get a mono signal to a mixing board is simply send on the Left/mono  output with nothing plugged into the Right output.  Helix does the rest.

4 hours ago, zakhooi said:

I noted when I use the the Left/MONO linout on a single Headrush FRFR112, the left and right channel sounds are combined and a chorus or stereo sound makes it sound weird.

Looks like you are already trying Left/MONO... and that is the correct option as stated by several people. 

The proper solution is to identify and correct the source of the phasing. 

As already stated, it is likely the two cab/IR's that are out of align. 

• While using the Left/MONO output only.... disengage one of the cab blocks to see if the phasing goes away.
  • If it does.... then there are two options....
    • Time align the CAB with a delay until the phasing goes away and save the preset. You can now go from Stereo to MONO any time you want. 
    • or...... simply turn off one of the cabs (your choice) when you need to go mono. 

(NOTE: If it doesn't appear to be the cab, then turn off/on each block one by one until you identify the block causing the problem) 

There is a saying in the studio.... "MIX in Stereo, FIX in Mono". The same thing applies here. When you fix the MONO sound to work, the Stereo sound will actually benefit from it. 

• Upvote 1