Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Connecting Helix 1/4" outputs to balanced monitors

hernan93

Hello Team.

Coming form POD Go, I use 1/4" cables to connect the POD's "Balanced/Unbalanced outputs" to my ROKIT 5 studio monitors. However, I'm new to the HELIX and, as you know, now I have two outputs "Balanced XLR" and "Unbalanced 1/4" so my question is, may I use my 1/4" balanced cables to connect the Helix to my studio monitors? is there any "sound quality loss" for using the Helix's unbalanced output with balanced cables straight to my balanced input in the monitors?

As far I had used it, they will work ok, but I would like to know if I 'm missing something...

Thank you.

Hernan

I'm not a pro in terms of pro sound, but to me I use balanced/unbalanced interchangeably (I record through 1/4 out, and play live with xlr or 1/4) -- both sound the same.   Balanced is supposed to be without any sound interference.  This potential interference can be a real problem when you are playing at a stadium with lots of wireless transmitters, cables running near you, and so forth.  But for most applications, lots of amateur-hour events, bar gigs, and festivals I've played at the sound guys expect a 1/4 inch out from the Helix.  One time a sound guy pulled out an adapter xlr-1/4 to connect me to the DI box :)

At home, I use 1/4 inch outs connected to my studio monitors -- sounds absolutely great.  I have it set up so the volume knob controls the 1/4 only, so I can adjust my loudness from the Helix, without messing with my Global Settings.  I think balanced out is too much of a gimmick/selling point for real life applications, but what do I know...   Lots of keyboards just have had 1/4 out only for decades, for example.  If you are recording some kind of a classical violin cadenza or something, you need balanced outs, otherwise, it's the same to most peoples' ears.  

PS, does your electric guitar have a balanced out 1/4?  Nope.