Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Power Cab 112 Plus

ZMan66

Hi guys,

I recently purchased a Powercab 112 Plus for use with my Helix LT.  I am loving both products and I recently started to explore the functionality of the Helix LT / Powercab combination.

Using HX Edit I played around with my Helix presets, I wanted to use the speakers loaded in the Powercab rather than use the Helix Cabs in the preset.  I did this by Loading HX Edit > selecting the preset > selected output > selected Powercab and then changed from flat mode to speaker mode.  It was a good exercise however now all of my Powercab presets are displayed on the Powercab LCD screen with an "edited" reference

For example :   000 (edited) Flat.

I am wondering what the 'edited' is referring to and how to get rid of it ?  No effect on tone or functionality but it is annoying to see it on the screen. Interestingly when I start up Powercab everything is normal, no reference to "edited", though as soon as I change a preset on Helix the "edited"  reappears.   Also if I disable Powercab remote on the Helix:    select output > press "page>'  Off    the "edited" reference disappears. I have done the factory reset and a firmware refresh, neither worked.

Appreciate your thoughts, is this normal and how can I restore back to normal settings.

Thanks

ZMan

Edited by ZMan66
Typos and added more information.

To restore the Powercab to factory condition, re-flash the FW using the L6 Updater.

Don't fret about anything on the PC display, it means nothing.

The display does not accurately reflect the real world.

The Powercab Presets are intended for use with non-L6 devices, employing MIDI to change the presets.

Use L6 Link and the Powercab settings in your Helix Presets.

I'm told that the function which automatically turns off the HF Driver in Speaker, LF Flat and LF Raw modes actually works in the PC112.

It DOES NOT consistently work on the PC 212+ (which I have).

If you want to test that, connect a MIDI cable and on a preset that uses one of the above mentioned modes, set a Footswitch to toggle CC#5 between 0 (HF Driver OFF) and 113 (HF Driver at UNITY 0.0db). If you hear a difference, it's not working, and you'll have to use an InstantCommand to turn it off in those modes.

Everybody who owns a Powercab is hoping for an update/bug-fix, but L6 is being stubbornly silent on the subject.

Thanks guys, much appreciated. 

I wasn't aware of the PC bug issues yet nice to know, hopefully Line 6 will take note and address the issues

I have ordered a MIDI cable and will test the system as proposed by "rd2rk".   I have programmed a few of my VOX presents with the Essex PC speaker and really like the tone, the L6 connection is working well.

I will let you know the outcome. Fortunately the Helix / PC is still working well and I am ignoring the (edited) reference.

Cheers

OK, I am learning more about the PC and Helix combination.  Thanks again for the advice and here is my latest update.

1. I received the midi cable, I tested it and all is working ok, as rd2rk said ignore the PC lcd display

2. I resolved the <edited> reference.  The PC was working fine so after reinstalling the latest PC firmware, factory reset etc... I realised the issue could be with the Helix.

3. I fortunately had a backup from a week prior the issue, so I decided to restore.  Guess what happened ??   The <edited> reference disappeared.

4. My conclusion was is that the Helix Presets were causing the issue.  By editing the Helix Preset to select a PC speaker (ie: Vintage) meant that the "Remote" option needs to be changed to "Preset'. Once this is done the PC display will always display <edited>

I would have thought that only the presets that select  a PC speaker would show FLAT <edited> ???  and that all other presets not using the speaker option should display the default FLAT. ??

9 hours ago, ZMan66 said:

I would have thought that only the presets that select  a PC speaker would show FLAT <edited> ???  and that all other presets not using the speaker option should display the default FLAT. ??

Like I said, ignore it. The PC+ presets are only of concern if you're using a modeler without L6 Link.

On 7/22/2021 at 6:44 PM, Hey_Joe said:

+1,000,000

+1,000,001

Had that famous two PC112+ linked with L6 issue happen about 5 days ago. Hiss, then no sound. Had to turn everything off then back on again. Has not happened again. But, when you open a ticket the support folks ask all kind of questions about cables, etc. I keep telling them this is a known issue on the forums, but then they are very quiet about the subject. 

19 hours ago, Wondo100 said:

+1,000,001

Had that famous two PC112+ linked with L6 issue happen about 5 days ago. Hiss, then no sound. Had to turn everything off then back on again. Has not happened again. But, when you open a ticket the support folks ask all kind of questions about cables, etc. I keep telling them this is a known issue on the forums, but then they are very quiet about the subject. 

There's so much misinformation and pure speculation out there on the interwebs that a support person, while not wanting to call us idiots for believing it, can't waste brain cells trying to sort it all out. All they can do is follow protocol, apply what they've learned from experience, consult whatever "solutions" db they have available and, when all else fails, kick it up stairs to the engineers, who may or may not have time to look into it in our lifetimes. In the case of the Powercabs, I believe that this is complicated by a lack of communications from upstairs, combined with specific instructions to "just act dumb". I've said elsewhere that, the last time I asked about a bug-fix/update, the response was "I'm sure it's in the queue, but probably not high up on the priorities list."

Welcome to the "L6 red-headed step-child club".

5 hours ago, PaulTBaker said:

Had the hiss/no sound happen to me as well.  I use Helix lt ->L6Link-> PC+212->L6Link->PC+112.   It hissed, then the 112+ stopped making sounds.  Rebooted everything and all is well.

That is unfortunate. I was trying to convince myself I did something wrong. Has been working pretty good since then. 

• 3 weeks later...

Just heard back from Line 6. They said they are not seeing this with other users, so they are not seeing this as an issue. This is why we all should put tickets in. This looks like this will not get resolved. I tried my best with them to explain everything. I am just hoping it does not happen again. 

If you follow the steps I mentioned, you have a good chance of it working most of the time. Over 95% of the time. Would suck to be in a gig during the other 5% though.