Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Skips In Music

jtravisiii

... I found keeping the phone very close to the amp helps. 

I think that's pretty much the answer. I keep mine about 6-8 feet in front of the amp and it works well -- mostly.  It's still has intermittent breaks in the play.  The other choice is to use a cable between my iPhone and the 'aux in' on the amp.  This eliminates all breaks in play.  Basically, I don't depend on the the Bluetooth for anything critical like live or recording purposes. For just jamming around the house and listening to tunes, I can live with the intermittent breaks -- or I use a cable.  AE

With my iPhone 5s, if I try to anything with the phone while streaming music, I can pretty easily get skips. It's just a limitation of the phone's Bluetooth streaming capability. It doesn't really have anything to do with the amp itself.

So how do I make sure the phone does nothing else

What I meant is that if I try to mess around with other apps, I can get skipping pretty easily. Depending on how far away I am from the amp, I can get it to skip by just moving the phone sometimes. But if I just set the phone down, I've never had it skip on its own. And I've actually gotten it to work pretty consistently from relatively far away - 10 to 15 feet, I'd say.

Do you have a case on your phone? I think some cases are known to better than others as far as affecting BT streaming.

Oh, okay.  I see. Thanks for the clarification.  It appears Phil has responded to your question. BTW, his point about the phone's case is a good one and worth taking the phone out of the case to see if it works better.  It sounds like keeping the phone close to the amp is the best bet though.  AE

• 1 month later...

With my iPhone 5s, if I try to anything with the phone while streaming music, I can pretty easily get skips. It's just a limitation of the phone's Bluetooth streaming capability. It doesn't really have anything to do with the amp itself.

Hi. For what it's worth, I'd like to politely differ from Phil's point here, i.e., that it has to do with the phone's bluetooth streaming capability and not the amp itself. I have little technical knowledge about bluetooth technology, but I can say from personal experience that my Bose Soundlink's bluetooth connection works much better than my Amplifi 150 -- and this, while using the same iPhone. The Bose seldom looses connection and it has a much greater range -- twenty feet plus and it doesn't seem to need a straight line of sight. I believe the Amplifi can and should have a more robust bluetooth capability. I think Line 6 thinks so as well since they are gathering user data and looking into it. 

Hi. For what it's worth, I'd like to politely differ from Phil's point here, i.e., that it has to do with the phone's bluetooth streaming capability and not the amp itself. I have little technical knowledge about bluetooth technology, but I can say from personal experience that my Bose Soundlink's bluetooth connection works much better than my Amplifi 150 -- and this, while using the same iPhone. The Bose seldom looses connection and it has a much greater range -- twenty feet plus and it doesn't seem to need a straight line of sight. I believe the Amplifi can and should have a more robust bluetooth capability. I think Line 6 thinks so as well since they are gathering user data and looking into it. 

I'm about to sound schizophrenic here -- but some testing with my iphone and Amplifi amp seems to confirm some of Phil's comments.  If I set my iphone in a direct beeline, unobstructed path with the amp, and it is within 6-8 feet, the bluetooth connection seems to hold -- mostly.  Connection problems start happening when the path between the top of the iphone (meaning the top edge where there's the headphone jack and on/off switch) and the amp is obstructed.  If I cup my hand over the top the iphone and aim it at the amp, it will start skipping or cut off the connection all together.  This happened at distances as close as 3 feet.  I like to play guitar sitting at my couch with my iphone next to me. Sometimes a TV remote, a magazine, or book of charts gets in front of the iphone and that's when things start skipping.  Also, if I cross one leg over the other and my big fat foot gets between the iphone and amp, again -- skipping and loss of connection.  So as you see, there is a fairly easy answer to all of this -- keep the line of sight between your iphone and amp clear of any obstructions.  Also, I tried this with and without my iphone case. It didn't seem to matter a whole lot; same symptoms.  For what it's worth, same basic problem also occurs with the Bose Soundlinkl.  If I cup my hand over the top of the phone, it affects the bluetooth connection.  I know this is pretty basic stuff, but I thought I'd share it with you in case it might be of some use.  AE