Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

New to helix. Question about DI

carlosdjimenez

Hi All, first post long time lurker. I recently acquired a helix and want to ask a few questions. 

#1. to avoid phantom power issues I will go out from the 1/4' output from the helix using a ts cable to a DI box then out to the mixer using XLR. My questions is does this make sense? also should I send the signal as mic, line, instrument?

#2 To monitor I have a headrush frfr 112. helix will go out to that using xls output. Should I send signal as mic instrument. or line?

Thanks.

Thank you both! really helpful. We do tons of private events and im tired of carrying head and cab so I invested on a helix after watching 4332 review I don't regret the purchase at all. We usually take our own mixer and speakers so This makes things a lot easier to setup. we have rehearsal tonight so we will see how things work out. 

7 minutes ago, rd2rk said:

1 - yes. Whatever works best for the FOH engineer.

2 - Line. Unlike most powered "FRFR"/PA speakers, FRFR112 has no mic preamp.

4 minutes ago, spaceatl said:

#1 makes a lot of sense. Mainly for the ground lift. Do mic level if you want the level to resemble a real microphone...line level if the console actually has pads on the XLR

#2 line for a headrush...

Most mixing boards expect XLR inputs at Mic level, but you don't really have to use the 1/4" out to avoid phantom power.  You can simply use the Helix XLR set to Mic level and just connect through a phantom power blocker which typically sits inline from your XLR output.  They're not expensive at all and a fraction of the size of a DI box.  If you do that you have your 1/4" output available to run to your FRFR112, which are set to Line level typically as the industry standard input level.

This type of setup also gives you the benefit of being able to disengage your Helix volume knob from the XLR output so it's sending that signal at full unity level, while still using your Helix volume knob to control your on stage FRFR level.

• Upvote 2