Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Difference between Lester 2, 4 and Special 1, 5

10 hours ago, Nos402 said:

So Lester 2 and 4 positions are a Les Paul Standard with P-90s while Special 1,3,5 is a Les Paul Special with P-90s, c whatorrect? IS there really any appreciable difference between these models?

There's no objective truth to be found here...

A quick stroll through the forums will reveal 10+ years worth of discussions, arguments, and emphatic proclamations about the differences between this model, that model, and the other one over there. The only certainty is that one man's "night and day difference" is another's "sounds the same to me". My "authentic Strat reproduction" might be your "Are you kidding? It sounds like a mud-covered banjo". In the end, what your ears tell you is all that matters, not what mine are telling me...and neither of us is "right" or "wrong".

The simple fact is that we're not all blessed with the same ability to make subtle distinctions between different sounds... if we could, we'd all be award winning producers, engineers, or sought-after studio musicians playing on hit after hit. To Joe Average,  an electric guitar is an electric guitar. Blindfolded, most couldn't tell a Les Paul from a Tele, nevermind two slightly different LP's with the same pickups... and even amongst other guitar players, abilities vary. What you hear is what you hear, and either you'll agree with someone else's subjective assessment, or you won't... in the end all that really matters is whether or not you like what you hear. Dial them up, and decide...

5 hours ago, cruisinon2 said:

There's no objective truth to be found here...

A quick stroll through the forums will reveal 10+ years worth of discussions, arguments, and emphatic proclamations about the differences between this model, that model, and the other one over there. The only certainty is that one man's "night and day difference" is another's "sounds the same to me". My "authentic Strat reproduction" might be your "Are you kidding? It sounds like a mud-covered banjo". In the end, what your ears tell you is all that matters, not what mine are telling me...and neither of us is "right" or "wrong".

The simple fact is that we're not all blessed with the same ability to make subtle distinctions between different sounds... if we could, we'd all be award winning producers, engineers, or sought-after studio musicians playing on hit after hit. To Joe Average,  an electric guitar is an electric guitar. Blindfolded, most couldn't tell a Les Paul from a Tele, nevermind two slightly different LP's with the same pickups... and even amongst other guitar players, abilities vary. What you hear is what you hear, and either you'll agree with someone else's subjective assessment, or you won't... in the end all that really matters is whether or not you like what you hear. Dial them up, and decide...

I guess I meant from a more objective/technical perspective. Like "Oh well the Special used a different wood from the standard" or such. Just trying to figure out the differences not from a subjective sonic viewpoint but an objective technical perspective. 

Like Is Lester 2 basically the SAME guitar as Lester 1 but with different pickups or is it a different guitar? I know at one point in Variax software there was a goldtop but I don't see that mentioned in the manual any more.

On 7/25/2021 at 2:31 PM, Nos402 said:

I guess I meant from a more objective/technical perspective. Like "Oh well the Special used a different wood from the standard" or such. Just trying to figure out the differences not from a subjective sonic viewpoint but an objective technical perspective. 

Like Is Lester 2 basically the SAME guitar as Lester 1 but with different pickups or is it a different guitar? I know at one point in Variax software there was a goldtop but I don't see that mentioned in the manual any more.

The answer to your question is the bodies are different. Not sure about the woods but the Standard body was two different woods while the Special was one. Also the Standard body was carved/shaped like a violin where the Special was essentially flat. Does it make a big difference in sound? The answer to that, as has essentially been said previously is, only your ears can tell for sure.

On 7/27/2021 at 11:07 AM, psarkissian said:

The differences would be spelled out in the modeling gallery list.

There's not a lot of details in there as to exactly WHAT the differences are. That's the first place I looked. I wish I could remember which iteration specifically talked about a Goldtop. I'm guessing it was a previous firmware version, or maybe one of my previous Variaxes (original, and then later 700).

1) Difference would be the modeling of the year of the guitar modeled from and the toggle position of the unit being modeled from.

2) " I'm guessing it was a previous firmware version, or maybe one of my previous Variaxes (original, and then later 700). " --- Nope. Started

from scratch with these. That's one of the reasons old and new models don't have portability between them.

On 7/25/2021 at 7:56 AM, Nos402 said:

So Lester 2 and 4 positions are a Les Paul Standard with P-90s while Special 1,3,5 is a Les Paul Special with P-90s, correct? IS there really any appreciable difference between these models?

The appreciable differences between one model and another of the same family (LP in this case) are there and can be clearly heard (at least on my 700).. if they weren't there it would have been rather stupid to implement some models with different names but which sound the same one to the other ..

With regard to Line6 models, each parameter/part available affects the final sound in a different way, and rather than measuring their faithfulness to the corresponding real things it is important to note how they affect the final sound in the various possible combinations..

I still use a 700 and among the Gibsonian default models created by L6 my favorites are the LP Junior and the ES 335, but among the real guitars I also like the LP Standard, and the SG which in the Variax is not specifically modeled but can be built/simulate via the workbench.