Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

2x HX Stomps vs. Hx Stomp/HX Effects combo

benriddell

John Cordy posted a video a couple of weeks ago about while not totally the same as a full Helix floor the HX Stomp/Effects combo could give you nearly all of the flexiblity of the bigger unit - and give you the ability to use the Stomp processor for dual amps with the Effects procesor handling the IRs and post-effects. A cheaper option for those of us that already have one of the units and want to "upgrade" without forking out for the bigger unit.

I'm thinking of getting another Line 6 unit; do any of you run 2x HX Stomps and depending on the complexity of your preset have the amps & cabs split across the two units or run better dual amp setups? I feel the Stomp/Effects combo would limit the possiblities as the amps & cab models would have to be run on the Stomp.

Pros for 2x HX Stomps: almost bigger unit routing capability with all models in the software available to both units

Pros for HX Stomp/Effects combo: a couple of extra blocks, more switches (handy for looper if you use it)

What's your thoughts on a dual HX unit setup?

23 minutes ago, benriddell said:

Double the latency, double the noise, double the potential failure points, double the big nasty wall-warts, adding an exp pedal and pedalboard, you're close to the price and size of a new LT or a  B stock Floor.

Sell the mini unit you already have and get the tool that's made for the job.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, benriddell said:

If you enjoy doing everything twice, then it's ideal...

This is a "penny wise, pound foolish" discussion. In the name of saving a few bucks, you're gonna double your grunt work, as well as the potential for future problems to troubleshoot.

Things change. While any particular piece of gear might be perfect for your needs at a given time, there's zero guarantee that it'll remain that way forever. In fact, it's a virtual certainty that it won't. I've played out this exact scenario countless times over the years. But if I live to be 1000, I'll never understand the philosophy of trying to solve a problem by doubling down on a solution that, on it's own, has already proven insufficient... all you've got then is twice the mediocrity, spliced together with workarounds and happy thoughts. It might technically "work", but with more aggravation and twice the upkeep...(firmware updates, backups, maintaining/rearranging set lists, etc etc etc). While you're at it, you might as well decide to run everything on a Linux platform... then you could really grind to a halt...;)

If you have a car with a spent transmission, buying a second one with the same problem to rot in the driveway beside the first, won't get you to work on time. 

Decide what you need, and get it. If something is no longer useful, sell it/ donate it/ use it for target practice... life is hard enough without installing your own speed bumps.

• Upvote 1

On 7/26/2021 at 8:28 PM, rd2rk said:

Double the latency, double the noise

I see this as the main issue.

Running two Stomps would be nice to have because it would give me flexibility. Physical size and weight is a factor, hence I'm not interested in any other more capable device. For some applications, bass guitar in particular, having just the one Stomp is all I need. For the guitar, however, I'm running into limits every now and then, and I am already adding external footswitches and an expression pedal. So having two Stomps would still be a very compact solution. If only it would be possible to "link" them digitally without intermediate D/A A/D conversion. Which – as we know – is not possible, so it remains just a dream…

I agree with everything has been said (on paper is all correct), but happens many times that I use my HXStomp setup (a pedalboard with the HXStomp as core), running in the Helix Rack FX Stereo Loop. In all honesty I hear no extra noise, nor latency that I can feel (and I'm extremely picky with latency).

This setup is so clean in my experience, that many times I'm using my Rack as advanced routing mixer for recordings and, again, no extra noise/latency. I mean, I'm sure something it's there as nothing is free with DSPs and circuits, but it's not something ruining the tone or the playing feeling.

Said that, I'd also save for a full Helix if you need all its benefits. Two HXStomps can be a PITA to manage, as is everything*2.

On 7/26/2021 at 2:09 PM, benriddell said:

John Cordy posted a video a couple of weeks ago about while not totally the same as a full Helix floor the HX Stomp/Effects combo could give you nearly all of the flexiblity of the bigger unit - and give you the ability to use the Stomp processor for dual amps with the Effects procesor handling the IRs and post-effects. A cheaper option for those of us that already have one of the units and want to "upgrade" without forking out for the bigger unit.

I'm thinking of getting another Line 6 unit; do any of you run 2x HX Stomps and depending on the complexity of your preset have the amps & cabs split across the two units or run better dual amp setups? I feel the Stomp/Effects combo would limit the possiblities as the amps & cab models would have to be run on the Stomp.

Pros for 2x HX Stomps: almost bigger unit routing capability with all models in the software available to both units

Pros for HX Stomp/Effects combo: a couple of extra blocks, more switches (handy for looper if you use it)

I recently moved to the Stomp XL and am doing something similar. But I am using several Audio Source pedals with the nuero-hub. So far it is offloading pretty good. However, I honestly think I may need to get a dedicated reverb like a Big Sky, Ventris or Collider to have enough dsp for what I need. I tend to think that what I have now with the Stomp XL, Ultrawave, C4 and EQ2 is a little more DSP than what 2 stomps would have...

I do think I could get close to what I am doing with a Stomp XL and a Stomp() or a Stomp and and HX FX...Basically, I would want an 8 block and a 6 block at least...Stomp XL and HXFX would be nice but I would never use 16 blocks...Would run out of DSP long before that for what I do most of the time.

If you already have a Stomp, then I would say get the FX or the Stomp XL to get the extra two blocks and to have a foot controller with enough buttons...I don't think the lack of amp models matters that much, but if it does I would say go for the XL...If you dual amp a stomp, that is about all it can do...My most dsp costly patch is a bass patch that uses 1 full SVT Pro 4 amp & cab block, 1 poly pitch shift, 1 hall verb, 1 stereo Send for monitor, 1 stereo return for synth pedal...That's it...no more dsp...That poly pitch is so expensive, but the only one I have found that really works for an 8 string bass patch.