Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Effects Not Displaying

jcwaldo

Hi...I was trying to build a patch last night and noticed something odd. I started with a blank preset. When I used the poly pitch effect on one block of my chain, none of the new poly effects would display as options in subsequent menus. i.e I wasn't able to run 2 poly pitches consecutively. Then I noticed when trying to insert a reverb, none of them were even listed. If I went to a fresh preset, they were. I hope I am describing the problem clearly. I guess my question is aren't all effects available for new blocks, regardless if you're already using one? Yes... I've already updated to the latest versions. Thanks...I hope that made sense.

Jeff

I think you may want to take some time and read your manual about the concept of DSP and how it gets used with the addition of various blocks into a preset.  DSP is the core of what makes modeling work, but it's not a limitless well.  Each block you use reserves a certain amount of DSP and as DSP gets lower it removes (or greys out) certain types of blocks because there's not enough DSP to support them.  Different blocks are more DSP hungry than others, and the poly effects are among the hungriest as are reverbs and delays.  Once you go to a new preset you have all the DSP available again, so they show back up.

If you have a Helix rack, floor or LT then you have two signal chains and each signal chain has it's own DSP allocation so you can double up on DSP hungry effects or amps by splitting them across the signal chain.

This is the most fundamental aspect of modeling and is the reason it's a good idea to read through your manual so you're not surprised by the basic stuff.

I read about that and it makes sense...I just didn't think it would happen to me LOL; I didn't think of myself as a power user. I'm using HX Effects. It would be nice if they were just greyed out so it would jog your memory that "hey, you can't use those." But even on a totally blank preset, I tried to use the poly pitch in 2 blocks. Nothing else. I could only use one. They take up that much processing power? If they do, they do, but sheesh. Thanks for the input though. I appreciate it.

Jeff

The poly pitch blocks use just under 50% of the available DSP per processor path. Technically, the DSP could handle two, but Line 6 limits it to one instance because having two led to some stability issues. The HX Effects only has one processor path, so, yeah, you can only use one instance in a preset.