Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Single footswitch to toggle between Snapshot and Stomp modes only?

rofus

Hi all

I got Helix and I'm really digging the sound of it, so I'm getting ready to use it for some forthcoming festivals.

To my disappointment I discovered only yesterday that delay/reverb spillover is not for patches but only for Snapshots (I know why etc. is not the point here, I just hope at some point they'll implement it between patches if they have the same delay/reverb effect).

So I converted my 4 basic sounds into a single patch and organised them in Snapshot...needed some rearrangement, but they work! So I'm going to play using my 4 Snapshots AND some programmed footswitches to change these 4 base sounds.

I do have a problem though: this means I'll load ONE patch, and will leave always that one on, and all I'll need is switching between my Snapshots view OR my Stomp view. QUESTION: is there a way for me to switch between those two views using the Mode switch?

The only way I found to switch between Snapshots and Stomp is to load my patch, stomp on Mode (so that I load Stomp View), and then having to press UP/DOWN together to go Snapshot, press them again to back to Stomp, press them again to go back to Snapshot etc., so basically the way is to always press TWO switches together.

As some of you know, just before a solo or while singing etc. it can be tricky to press precisely two switches, and if I don't then the banks (as a safety net for me so I don't change sound accidentally) is loaded, and I have to try again pressing those two switches to return to Snapshot or Stomp.

Is there an obvious alternative way I'm missing to press just ONE switch (possibly Mode) to toggle between Snapshot/Stomp? At the moment Mode seems always and only to switch between Preset and Stomp, without possibility to change it to switch between Snapshot and Stomp.

Am I (I hope!) missing something?

The Mode switch always toggles between Stomp and Preset Mode. But you have the option to change what’s displayed in Preset Mode by going to Global Settings>Footswitches>Preset Mode. If you set it to 8 Snapshots, it essentially becomes just like Snapshot Mode.

It sounds like you may actually benefit from one of the split views available for Preset Mode, though. 4 snap/4 stomp let’s you see four snapshots and four stomp switches at the same time. That may give you all you need, it sounds like.

27 minutes ago, phil_m said:

The Mode switch always toggles between Stomp and Preset Mode. But you have the option to change what’s displayed in Preset Mode by going to Global Settings>Footswitches>Preset Mode. If you set it to 8 Snapshots, it essentially becomes just like Snapshot Mode.

It sounds like you may actually benefit from one of the split views available for Preset Mode, though. 4 snap/4 stomp let’s you see four snapshots and four stomp switches at the same time. That may give you all you need, it sounds like.

Uhmm 8 snapshots mode? 4/4 view? 

I suppose I should have specified I have the Stomp XL…I can’t remember seeing these but I don’t have the stomp xl in front of me right now.

Do you know if similar settimgs to customise preset view are available on stomp xl?

50 minutes ago, rofus said:

Uhmm 8 snapshots mode? 4/4 view? 

I suppose I should have specified I have the Stomp XL…I can’t remember seeing these but I don’t have the stomp xl in front of me right now.

Do you know if similar settimgs to customise preset view are available on stomp xl?

Oh, well, that changes things. In my defense, you said you had the Helix… There are really only three (four if you count the Helix Control) products with the Helix name - the Floor, LT and Rack. Everything else is under the HX moniker.

But anyway, that changes things. Right now there’s no way to really do what you want to do. You could get a small MIDI controller to switch between Stomp and Snapshot Mode - something like the Disaster Area Designs MIDI Baby would work.

I suspect that Line 6 is going to add the Toggle setting as an option for Snapshot Mode on the Stomp XL like they have in the POD Go. With that once you go to Snapshot Mode, it stays there and you can toggle back and forth between Preset and Snapshot Mode using the Mode footswitch.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, phil_m said:

Oh, well, that changes things. In my defense, you said you had the Helix… There are really only three (four if you count the Helix Control) products with the Helix name - the Floor, LT and Rack. Everything else is under the HX moniker.

But anyway, that changes things. Right now there’s no way to really do what you want to do. You could get a small MIDI controller to switch between Stomp and Snapshot Mode - something like the Disaster Area Designs MIDI Baby would work.

I suspect that Line 6 is going to add the Toggle setting as an option for Snapshot Mode on the Stomp XL like they have in the POD Go. With that once you go to Snapshot Mode, it stays there and you can toggle back and forth between Preset and Snapshot Mode using the Mode footswitch.

Absolutely it was my fault not specifying…I call the stomp Helix as it has the same sounds/abilities of the plugin and others (love the compatibility toggle in plugin so I can move sounds from studio to stage and back as needed!).

Understood about the Toggle setting..indeed it seems like a very simple thing to implement as a simple option, so I can only hope your ‘suspect’ is true and that Line6 will implement it soon :-)

I didn’t think about the midi pedal to send some custom controls!

8 hours ago, phil_m said:

Actually...I was looking at the manual... I can't see a midi CC that allows me to switch to Snapshot Mode or Stomp Mode?

The only way is indirect way seems emulating press FS1 and FS4 at same time (cc 49 and 52). I was looking at your midi pedal suggestion, I see is powered and I honestly don't want to add another power adapter only for a switch that I expected being programmable (like indeed you say is on the Helix Floor/LT).

If you know of any passive midi programmable footswitch let me know...but I'm really looking forward to Line6 fixing this :-) Otherwise Snapshots is not a very functional thing on StompXL as it's not as useable as Preset mode...indeed the Mode switch should offer option to switch between two any modes (or between Stomp and any either Preset or Snapshot).

2 hours ago, rofus said:

I can't see a midi CC that allows me to switch to Snapshot Mode or Stomp Mode?

CC# 71

Value: 0 = Stomp, 3 = Snapshot

2 hours ago, rofus said:

any passive midi programmable footswitch

"Passive" as in "no juice needed"?

Is there even such a thing?

Other than that, Disaster Area's DMC.micro is absolutely fantastic: ultra compact, highly flexible, if using their latest firmware 2.0, it's programmamble via USB and offline, and expandable even with passive footswitche/exp-pedals sending additional MIDI messages to the Stomp via the DMC.micro. And it still leaves the EXP jack on the Stomp free to use for something else…

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, lou-kash said:

CC# 71

Value: 0 = Stomp, 3 = Snapshot

"Passive" as in "no juice needed"?

Is there even such a thing?

Other than that, Disaster Area's DMC.micro is absolutely fantastic: ultra compact, highly flexible, if using their latest firmware 2.0, it's programmamble via USB and offline, and expandable even with passive footswitche/exp-pedals sending additional MIDI messages to the Stomp via the DMC.micro. And it still leaves the EXP jack on the Stomp free to use for something else…

Thanks, I was reading RevA of the 3.0 manual without realising it, and didn't contain that midi :-)

I'm thinking now....there are two expression pedal inputs, and those ones are passive (ie. no power needed). Now...a similar thing I think is a sustain pedal, but just with two values (0 or max). Expression and sustain pedals are also very unexpensive and rugged.

Considering that I can assign a MIDI message to an expression pedal with Command Center...I could connect the midi in/out of the XT, assign CC 71 0-3 to expression pedal 1 min and max values, and in theory the XT would send itself the midi message I need (after I disable midi tx/rx of anything else like tempo or PCs). I'm going to experiment with that...

I don't want to spend $100 on a midi switch that is going to make a single thing that is already available on other Helix and hopefully arrives soon on XT as well..considering they just recently introduced that option as a midi command :-)

12 minutes ago, rofus said:

in theory the XT would send itself the midi message I need

In theory, yes.

In practice, this doesn't currently work the way we all would want it to work.

The only workaround is to physically connect the Stomp's MIDI-out with the MIDI-in using a patch cable…

1 minute ago, lou-kash said:

In theory, yes.

In practice, this doesn't currently work the way we all would want it to work.

The only workaround is to physically connect the Stomp's MIDI-out with the MIDI-in using a patch cable…

Yeah that's exactly what I was thinking, as a temporary solution using an external pedal...if I could assign custom midi messages to one of the ABCD switches to be send any moment they're pressed (not only in stomp mode), would be idea but is not in the manual.

As it's not to assign custom midi messages to the Mode button, so only option is an external passive expression pedal (or sustain one)..still better than nothing or having to press UP/DOWN to arrive to Snapshot mode and back into Stomp mode.

One weird thing I noticed...there's no mention of that Midi CC on the Stomp XL manual...actually there's no Rev C manual for the Stomp XL at all!

So weird...anyone knows if that new midi CC 71 is available as well on the 3.11 firmware of Hx Stmp XL? :-) Or where to find Rev C for Stomp XL? Is not on line6 website :P

1 minute ago, rofus said:

anyone knows if that new midi CC 71 is available as well on the 3.11 firmware of Hx Stmp XL?

I'd expect the XL to work the same as my regular Stomp.

For the record, I'm using CC#71>4 (next footswitch mode) via DMC.micro. But it's just on the Micro's "secondary" page, it's not something I'd need often.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rofus said:

Yeah that's exactly what I was thinking, as a temporary solution using an external pedal...if I could assign custom midi messages to one of the ABCD switches to be send any moment they're pressed (not only in stomp mode), would be idea but is not in the manual.

As it's not to assign custom midi messages to the Mode button, so only option is an external passive expression pedal (or sustain one)..still better than nothing or having to press UP/DOWN to arrive to Snapshot mode and back into Stomp mode.

One weird thing I noticed...there's no mention of that Midi CC on the Stomp XL manual...actually there's no Rev C manual for the Stomp XL at all!

So weird...anyone knows if that new midi CC 71 is available as well on the 3.11 firmware of Hx Stmp XL? :-) Or where to find Rev C for Stomp XL? Is not on line6 website :P

In my earlier comments, I forgot that these CC71 commands are for the Stomp only, not the Stomp XL. Because it has fewer footswitches, the Stomp has a few modes that the XL doesn’t have. The XL is really pretty much the same as the HX Effects right now. Like I said earlier, it would be nice if they add that Toggle option for Snapshot Mode in the XL. Based on Eric’s comments about it, I think there’s a good chance it will happen.

But right now, there isn’t a way to switch from Stomp Mode to Snapshot Mode directly via MIDI. Apologies for the confusion.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, phil_m said:

In my earlier comments, I forgot that these CC71 commands are for the Stomp only, not the Stomp XL. Because it has fewer footswitches, the Stomp has a few modes that the XL doesn’t have. The XL is really pretty much the same as the HX Effects right now. Like I said earlier, it would be nice if they add that Toggle option for Snapshot Mode in the XL. Based on Eric’s comments about it, I think there’s a good chance it will happen.

But right now, there isn’t a way to switch from Stomp Mode to Snapshot Mode directly via MIDI. Apologies for the confusion.

Ah! Ok thanks for letting me know, you saved me a few hours trying to figure out why it doesn't work! :-D

It seems so weird to have these differences in features across the models, when they could literally have the same set (apart from the number of switches!) across all models, probably also making their life easier in terms of firmware features maintenance and coherence across all the devices.

Toggle option for Snapshot mode with the Mode button seems indeed something forgotten more than something made on purpose of for lack of time,. If you have implemented a Snapshots mode (and you invite rightly so to use them as alternative to Presets!) seems like an overlook to not have it available in the Mode toggle switch, BUT you can have it if pressing together UP/DOWN? :P

16 minutes ago, rofus said:

Ah! Ok thanks for letting me know, you saved me a few hours trying to figure out why it doesn't work! :-D

It seems so weird to have these differences in features across the models, when they could literally have the same set (apart from the number of switches!) across all models, probably also making their life easier in terms of firmware features maintenance and coherence across all the devices.

Toggle option for Snapshot mode with the Mode button seems indeed something forgotten more than something made on purpose of for lack of time,. If you have implemented a Snapshots mode (and you invite rightly so to use them as alternative to Presets!) seems like an overlook to not have it available in the Mode toggle switch, BUT you can have it if pressing together UP/DOWN? :P

I think the one thing they want to keep consistent is that the Mode footswitch always toggles between Stomp and Preset Mode. It’s just that the other devices allow you have an alternate mode for Preset Mode. Also, pressing down the Bank footswitches together to get to Snapshot Mode is also consistent across all the devices.

The Stomp is the outlier in that it only has the three footswitches. Technically, what CC71 is doing is emulating the PAGE < and > buttons, which is how you scroll between the different modes.

So I think it’s just kind of how things have evolved.

42 minutes ago, phil_m said:

I think the one thing they want to keep consistent is that the Mode footswitch always toggles between Stomp and Preset Mode. It’s just that the other devices allow you have an alternate mode for Preset Mode. Also, pressing down the Bank footswitches together to get to Snapshot Mode is also consistent across all the devices.

The Stomp is the outlier in that it only has the three footswitches. Technically, what CC71 is doing is emulating the PAGE < and > buttons, which is how you scroll between the different modes.

So I think it’s just kind of how things have evolved.

Yeah indeed possibility to set an alternate mode for Preset Mode, it seems a weird miss considering is present on the other devices :-) Hopefully they'll change it soon!

In the meantime I literally joined the UP/DOWN bank switches together with a metal bar, so that if I really need to I can still press them individually, but is much easier and 99.9% successful to press them together as one button :-)

Doing so, once I'm in Stomp Mode once, I can just press the metal bar and will to Snapshot Mode, press again the metal bar and will be back to Stomp Mode etc., it works nicely, it's all mechanical and will work till I can do the same with a simple option like in the other models :-D

• Like 1

• 9 months later...
On 7/27/2021 at 9:14 PM, phil_m said:

I just moved to the Stomp XL from the Stomp for more footswitch versatility. And while everything physically is in place to do what I need the options in the software do not. I had expected that I could single switch toggle between the SNAP/STOMP modes but I cannot. I have my Helix Floor set up with the 4 snap/4 stomp and the Stomp XL could do that with a press of the mode switch. But it does not. So I am here to express my support of that as a future option upgrade please. The two button press and hold to enter Snap mode is cumbersome with the feet live, then back to stomp mode, then back to snap mode, etc. I know I can set up to scroll snaps but that is almost as bad with large feet and small buttons. I believe there are options in the Command Center as workarounds so I'll look at those as well but a one switch option would be ideal. It's so close to right, hopeful the option that it can be added, and it would parallel whatever Floor users like myself are already set up with. Thank you. 

On 5/1/2022 at 8:42 AM, nervous said:

I just moved to the Stomp XL from the Stomp for more footswitch versatility. And while everything physically is in place to do what I need the options in the software do not. I had expected that I could single switch toggle between the SNAP/STOMP modes but I cannot. I have my Helix Floor set up with the 4 snap/4 stomp and the Stomp XL could do that with a press of the mode switch. But it does not. So I am here to express my support of that as a future option upgrade please. The two button press and hold to enter Snap mode is cumbersome with the feet live, then back to stomp mode, then back to snap mode, etc. I know I can set up to scroll snaps but that is almost as bad with large feet and small buttons. I believe there are options in the Command Center as workarounds so I'll look at those as well but a one switch option would be ideal. It's so close to right, hopeful the option that it can be added, and it would parallel whatever Floor users like myself are already set up with. Thank you. 

As of the 3.15 update, you can go between Snaphsot and Stomp Mode with the Mode footswitch. You just need to go to Global Settings>Footswitches>Snapshot Mode and set it to Toggle. You still will need to use the Bank Up/Dn switches to get into Snapshot Mode from Preset Mode one time, but then once you do that, you can go back and forth between Snapshot and Stomp Mode by hitting the Mode switch.

• Thanks 2

• 2 months later...
On 5/1/2022 at 4:55 PM, phil_m said:

As of the 3.15 update, you can go between Snaphsot and Stomp Mode with the Mode footswitch. You just need to go to Global Settings>Footswitches>Snapshot Mode and set it to Toggle. You still will need to use the Bank Up/Dn switches to get into Snapshot Mode from Preset Mode one time, but then once you do that, you can go back and forth between Snapshot and Stomp Mode by hitting the Mode switch.

This helped a lot, thank you! I don't always have time to read the release notes thoroughly!

Do you know if it's possible on the Stomp XL to have stomps and snapshots together on the same mode? Maybe buttons 1-3 for stomps and buttons 4-6 for snapshots, for instance?

On 7/17/2022 at 4:08 PM, antjessop said:

This helped a lot, thank you! I don't always have time to read the release notes thoroughly!

Do you know if it's possible on the Stomp XL to have stomps and snapshots together on the same mode? Maybe buttons 1-3 for stomps and buttons 4-6 for snapshots, for instance?

Yes - you can assign snapshots to stomp switches in Stomp Mode using the HX Snapshot command in the Command Center.

• 8 months later...
On 5/1/2022 at 9:55 AM, phil_m said:

Well, I FINALLY got around to trying this and as you said, it worked perfectly. Thank you.